Author Topic: How hard would it be to grow the regular acai palm in a container?  (Read 4743 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
So just wondering, about how far could i get with trying to grow the regular, non-dwarf variety of acai in a container? What would be thee minimum requirements and how big would it get before fruit or heart of palm? thanks.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: How hard would it be to grow the regular acai palm in a container?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »
for heart of palm i think it can be done!

for fruit?  not so much...

and don't expect a bunch of hearts of palm..I bet it will take years to get enough biomass to harvest a substantial amount of palm hearts.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
What Adam said plus I will add that  it will be tough in your clinate conditions and indoor time to really get it to be happy at any size.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »
I have had bad results growing them in container.

Acai, seems to "sense" its in a container and will not grow well, they forever just stayed the same size.

All I can recommend is to plant the seeds directly into a big container from the start,   I originally planted 100 seeds,  almost all germinated, I put them in poly bags, and gave some away, I even sold some.   those that were sold /given away, and planted in the ground were reported to doing well.  those that remained potted, stayed the same size.  I kept a few of the nicest ones, and I can say I have none now. they eventually died in my small containers.  between 1-10 gallon.   not sure why.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:46:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure luc has a dwarf acai that might be possible to get to fruit in an unusually large pot.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:44 AM »
Maybe a big pot for the dwarf will allow fruit They still get big but fruit at an earlier age and smaller size.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:47:52 AM »
I'm Growing 10 Dwarf Acai Palms from what I'm reading I have a slim chance to see them grow, but I enjoy a challenge ;),

P.s. its alarming of the rate they are cutting these great palms in Brazil only to satisfy the French of there Harts of Palm consumption.
The fruit is much healthier !

If they grow well I will send you one.
Ed
Zone 10

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
I planted about 1500 seeds years ago , good germination but lots died even after months in the nursery bag . Have now 3 varieties in the ground , edulis , dwarf olerasea and the one with orange crownshaft , all doing well . My acai branca's got mixed with the others and were sold when I was away #$@^%&*

The dwarfs are now 1.50 meter and have been sending out several new plants , I don't think you will be able to keep them in a planter unless you remove the new ones all the time , they do spread fast . Still no fruit .

I think Micah has fruiting Acai , not the dwarf ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
Can the suckers be removed & Replanted , like banana Suckers ?
Thanks Ed..
Zone 10

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
I planted about 1500 seeds years ago , good germination but lots died even after months in the nursery bag . Have now 3 varieties in the ground , edulis , dwarf olerasea and the one with orange crownshaft , all doing well . My acai branca's got mixed with the others and were sold when I was away #$@^%&*

The dwarfs are now 1.50 meter and have been sending out several new plants , I don't think you will be able to keep them in a planter unless you remove the new ones all the time , they do spread fast . Still no fruit .

I think Micah has fruiting Acai , not the dwarf ...
Same happened with the dwarf para acai ones I left in pots, eventually they died..they were in small pots though.
In the first pic is the ones I bought...labels said dwarf acai..but one is singular with its first flowers, and the one on left looks to me like its a tall clumpser (oleracea?)..the first fruit where about 10 ft up.  The other palms are our dwarf Malaysia coconuts.
I've tried to replant suckers once for a friend...not enough root mass to make it work I thought..
Also we have the dwarf para acai growing from seeds...I had enough to experiment. With just how much water she liked.  On the banks of the taro patches they do very well.planted on Mounded mud and weeds in patches they do well too.  One was planted 1 ft tall in water of patch..where it grew slowly but did not die. Eventually I moved it. To a better spot..they do transplant well like that...of course they were growing in mud so it was easy to get the whole roots out without hurting it.
To me the beauty and edible heart is the reason to grow palm.m I enjoyed acai berry products in stores but homegrown juice without Any additives is not to special tasting. Scant pulp around seed...does have that color though.  Im thinking the berry is the byproduct of heart of palm industry..just another reason to cut down amazon forest.
Hopefully the para dwarf variety has more pulp..like it claims. Next pic is just cleared lotus patch with dwarf acai island in middle.
Cheers!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Nice looking Palm !.. The juice is a super food Enjoy ..
Ed
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk