Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 22928 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »
John, I do!! My neighborhood around me have many large Oak trees and I'm very close to a State Park, we have deer daily, recorded a bear at a neighbor's driveway and even had a Florida panther too...one of them attacked one of my neighbors dog and eventually died  :'(  the squirrels  >:( though are my worst thieves and destroyer of my mango fruits and lychee (no fruit this year, though)

The clamshells I use (see my above pics) work pretty good for squirrels/iguanas. The raccoons tear them to shreds but nothing is foolproof. I would say the clamshells are single best thing we've done with real results in protecting fruit.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
Should be a good year here. My favorites (lemon zest, sweet tart, fruit punch) are pretty loaded this year as well as many others:

Immaculate. That’s  “How to win friends”

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
Alex & Rob,

Sorry for the delayed response. I had a reaction to cutting that mango and wanted to wait awhile before I ventured to cut and taste again, as I was already trying to recover from planting mango trees a couple of weeks ago. 😆  Suffice to say I am highly allergic to touching mango fruits and trees.

Anyway, I believe Alex is correct and it is most likely Carabao. Flesh is very melting when fully ripe (yellow). Taste is less complex and sweet, but not super sweet.  Tropical, not citrusy to me, maybe a bit resinous/piney in certain places once in awhile but not a lot. A pretty good mango, but not great. Still, worth eating when you have no mangos around and have the urge. 😋

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
Started picking my first mangos.
An angie started coloring up on the tree.
Picked my first zinc, only a little clear sap came out. Hoping it's good

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2021, 08:49:28 PM »
probably won't be any good, but found a small fruit punch today that was colored up nicely and very fragrant. came off in my hand, so here's to hope.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »
You'd be surprised, I clipped one of a few weeks ago by accident and decided to let it ripen.
It was pretty good, especially considering I haven't had a mango in a few months

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »
Should be a good year here. My favorites (lemon zest, sweet tart, fruit punch) are pretty loaded this year as well as many others:

Amazing lemon zest.  I have just 1 fruit on my lz tree this season. What did you do to your lz to get so beautiful fruits?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »

Amazing lemon zest.  I have just 1 fruit on my lz tree this season. What did you do to your lz to get so beautiful fruits?

Mostly luck I guess. Last year all the flowers dried out and I didn't get a single fruit. I spray my trees pretty frequently with all sort of concoctions. Not necessarily all at once, but I'll spray with micros, kelp, neem oil, copper, sulfur, and some other stuff like 'ripe blend' (kelp4less). Also mix in copper/sulfur depending on time of season. My trees definitely look nice and healthy.

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2021, 10:17:43 PM »

Mostly luck I guess. Last year all the flowers dried out and I didn't get a single fruit. I spray my trees pretty frequently with all sort of concoctions. Not necessarily all at once, but I'll spray with micros, kelp, neem oil, copper, sulfur, and some other stuff like 'ripe blend' (kelp4less). Also mix in copper/sulfur depending on time of season. My trees definitely look nice and healthy.
[/quote]
I definitely need a consultation from you. When to spray copper,  sulfur  and in what form and how often. i try to keep everything organic as possible. And what is ripe4less?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
Not off our trees, but mine =)

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »
Great Work!!!
Is that a Glenn in the center (more yellow)?
I picked 2 so far and it seemed a decent bit smaller than usual, i guess the lack of water.

What varieties?
I think I see Edward, Glenn, Philippine, Julie

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »
Rosigold, Cambodiana, Edward, and another.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »

Well i was way off lol
LMK how that Cambodiana taste, I've been meaning to try it.
I can trade you for a Zinc later this season.
Can't really get away from work these days

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
Should have a tasting on the Cambodiana in the next day or 2. Will post my impressions.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »

Well i was way off lol

You had Edward correct.  Lol
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »

Well i was way off lol

You had Edward correct.  Lol

1/4, can't even get to J&J levels.
You'd think a mango deprived brain would be sharper

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2021, 08:47:11 PM »

The top one (photo) is Lemon Zest? ---- I like all the clear plastic clamshells protecting the LZ fruits. Clamshells from buying strawberries probably. You must be serious about getting as few robberies by animals. At least for LZ. Your high priority mango is LZ (I suppose)

You can also take a stack of old AOL CDs and cut through with a circular saw to the center hole. Then fit them through the stem so they lay on top of the mango. Critters like to climb up then bite downward on the mangos to make them fall.....I think I have some of those from AOL. Or other junk CDs.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
CDs on top of the fruits seems like a good idea, it will mostly scare away birds and squirrels and possibly iguanas for that matter.

The top one (photo) is Lemon Zest? ---- I like all the clear plastic clamshells protecting the LZ fruits. Clamshells from buying strawberries probably. You must be serious about getting as few robberies by animals. At least for LZ. Your high priority mango is LZ (I suppose)

You can also take a stack of old AOL CDs and cut through with a circular saw to the center hole. Then fit them through the stem so they lay on top of the mango. Critters like to climb up then bite downward on the mangos to make them fall.....I think I have some of those from AOL. Or other junk CDs.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2021, 08:05:48 PM »

Ya top one is LZ. It is definitrly high prioroty, but that is an earlier picture as most trees have good clamshell coverage at this point. By my estimate, we've put out probably 400 - 500 clamshells at this point. Some of those are just strawberries bought throughout the years, but I have separately bought cases of regular and 2x size clamshells so i probably have a total of around 1,000 at this point.

My guess is we have a 100-200 more worthwhile mangoes to cover.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
First rosigold of the season (at our house).

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »

Well i was way off lol

Cambodiana is good, not great. Small fruits, no fiber. Sweet and has a little floral and acid hints if eaten early enough. When it gets too ripe, not that great and gets soft. Still, way better than store bought mangoes.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »
Save me by clamshells
Yes I too value my LZ’s the most and have most of them covered and after reading what you wrote I am going to cover the rest. Thanks.
The wind we’ve just had knocked down 19 gorgeous LZ’s but none that were covered in clamshells. I’m hoping they all ripen as they are decently sized. Most have fallen off just on e of my 40+ LZ trees. I believe it’s because that tree had a severe infestation of scale and I sprayed the infested parts with undiluted Neem oil. Afterwards many leaves on that tree turned yellow where hit with the Neem oil. Then beautiful mangoes started dropping. I quit the Neem and switched to Horticultural oil for other scale infested areas on other trees which is 98.8% Mineral oil and zero fruit have fallen off of those trees and zero yellow leaves developed. Just my current experience so draw your own conclusions. Some of the LZ’s picked up off the thick grass on the 19th are starting to turn yellow. I sure hope they ripen up as LZ’s are pure gold and I’m not talking the almighty $.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:03:56 PM by weiss613 »

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »

This weekend will be the second of the year with a decent crop.
In my yard it seems mango season is underway proper
Mostly getting Angie, Dupuis and Edward.

Pick the last of the starapple and finally decided to pick the cacoa
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:48:30 AM by skhan »

Nwcc

• Cape Coral, Florida 33993 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • NW Cape Coral WeatherLink
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

Hi,
Love your clamshell idea. I have about 25 new mango trees  recently planted and looking for some sort of future protection. Where did you purchase your clamshells and what size would you recommend? I’m going to try the CD option also.
Thank you.

Ya top one is LZ. It is definitrly high prioroty, but that is an earlier picture as most trees have good clamshell coverage at this point. By my estimate, we've put out probably 400 - 500 clamshells at this point. Some of those are just strawberries bought throughout the years, but I have separately bought cases of regular and 2x size clamshells so i probably have a total of around 1,000 at this point.

My guess is we have a 100-200 more worthwhile mangoes to cover.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
Hi,
Love your clamshell idea. I have about 25 new mango trees  recently planted and looking for some sort of future protection. Where did you purchase your clamshells and what size would you recommend? I’m going to try the CD option also.
Thank you.

The ones on the LZ tree are standard size strawberry clamshells. There are various plastic packaging sites you can buy them from. I don't remember where I bought mine but pretty sure we bought a case of 500. We also buy a lot of strawberries throughout the year and save all the clamshells.

I also bought larger size clamshells (I think it was a 2lb grape size) for the bigger mangoes (e.g. fruit punch) and for avocados.