Author Topic: Just got Java Plums  (Read 1145 times)

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
Just got Java Plums
« on: September 30, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »
More additions for my edible landscape - the Java Plum or Jambolan Plum - the Syzigium Cuminii.

This week I scored heavily !!  I obtained 3 young seedlings for the price of the shipping. Then had a conversation with another fruit grower who had a 2 year old plant that I was able to buy super cheap. . . so now I have 4 !!!
I intend to keep them in pots so I can control the size and hopefully get them fruiting and be able to protect them from freezing in the winter.

Who Else is growing these ?  any tips ?

Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Just got Java Plums
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:07 AM »
It is a humble fruit and maybe not one to lay awake at night dreaming about. They get really big when planted in the ground. Cheap is good however because many fruit trees can sting you pretty hard.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »
Jambolan grows here as a weed and it is quite invasive. Also taste is not close to the best in the world since they have a big chunck of astringency. I’ve seen them thrive on neglect much like a weed. Not worth growing in my opinion but to each is own

,William

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
Hi Mike,
can you describe the taste of the fruit ? Curious mind wants to know

P J, the Dirt Diva

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
Unless you have a farm where you could plant the Jamun away from all structures, keeping them in large pots is the only option as their roots are quite destructive and the juice from fallen fruits could stain permanently. People also report that the juice could also be corrosive to metal.
In Florida, you could find trees along highways and even at Disney around Animal Kingdom park for example. So quite invasive.

However, they are quite popular in India and SE Asia and I'm quite fond of them. I grew up with these so I'm a bit biased here. The fruit has astringency taste only if not picked completely ripe. You tongue will turn deep purple after eating a few of them. I bought a grafted tree of about 5 ft tall and it fruited a year after. It's a big size fruit variety but I don't know the variety name. The taste is cherry with a bit of tart and a little astringency if not completely ripe.

Thera

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 02:51:01 PM »
Thanks Thera, I intend to keep them in pots anyway just because my yard is almost to capacity for in ground trees.

It appears that yours is in partial shade, yes ? What time of day is this pic ? 

Thanks, and Happy Gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »
1st pic was at 10:30 AM and last pic was at 6 PM
Thera

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »
Thanks again, Thera

I will follow your lead and give it an eastern exposure ... I have brutal afternoon sunlight and I certainly don't want them to burn up.

P J

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
With respect to size as stated above, in Florida these get quite large and are very vigorous.  Not a tree that will lend well to pot culture.  For seedlings, you will most likely need pots in the 100-500 gallon range (the larger the better) or they will become a rootbound mess and struggle.  Also as Thera stated, there are large fruited types and small fruited types (with the smaller being more common fir random plants and less desirable).
- Rob

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Hi PJ, I believe these are used in ayurvedic healing for blood sugar levels. If you know someone with diabetic issues. D