Author Topic: Zeolite Amendment for Sandy Soils  (Read 885 times)

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Zeolite Amendment for Sandy Soils
« on: May 13, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
Most people with sandy soils should know that their biggest challenges with working in sandy soils is low water retention and nutrient storage (low CEC). I have experimented with using kitty litter (bentonite) in my sandy soil with great results, and now would like to expand to my tree area. One negative I will say is that when I added to just the top of my soil, no tilling, I could get a slimmy top layer until enough time has passed to allow soil critters to work it into the soil (1+ year in some cases).

I'm thinking about using Zeolite because of it's high CEC, 100-140 milliequivalents/g, where some Georgia red clays can be 5-10 milliequivalents/g, so if I'm going to pay to have a large quantity (1 ton per acres as recommended by zeolite supplier), I might as well get a high CEC product. I've found mines in Idaho and Nevada with prices around $300 to $350/ton, and shipping around $600-800. 1 truck can haul about 21 super sacks (1 ton).

Does anyone have any experience with using clays in sandy soil?

I know people say mixing clay and sand is like making concrete, but haven't found this to be the case especially if you have a reasonable amount of organic matter in your soils.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Zeolite Amendment for Sandy Soils
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
Interesting idea. I wonder if you could get your clay from one of the phosphate mines in central Florida. Clay is a byproduct of their mining operation. It might save quite a bit on shipping. I remember reading an article where they talked about tilling it (the phosphate clay) into our Florida sandy soils to improve them.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:52 PM »
are you not able to top dress with compost and mulch?  Just curious why zeolite would be preferred to using organic dressing or using cover crops.  I have use zeolite or something similar called sweet zdp used to keep odors down in horse stalls.  I think its the same stuff, a natural crystaline volcanic product.  They sell it at the feed stores and Ive used it in potting mix in the past.  At least on paper, it sounds like a miracle product.  Not sure it makes sense in a large orchard operation though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:58:54 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 01:11:40 AM »
Clays should help, but as you've found out, clays are better at binding to themselves(clumping) than evenly sorting themselves in a mixture. They will also sort themselves out into a layer (even subsurface) given enough time/water.

Not all Zeolites are equal, pore size will determine which ions are sorted out (caught) versus released into the soil. They vary by orders of magnitude in porosity as well.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 07:29:38 AM »
You might try mixing it into a compost since that process already involves mechanical mixing processes and distribution. One advantage of a mineral is it may not decompose.
Checking I see this is being used in Australia.
https://www.greenlifesoil.com.au/sustainable-gardening-tips/turn-sand-into-soil

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Finca
What we do in S Florida sandy soils is to add wood chips every year to our fruit trees. They turn into humus which is as good as clay for nutrient retention. If you are this serious about clay in your soil (I used to be the same. I have 99% sandy soil) then I would buy red clay in bulk. Root around and find out who supplies this to our municipal baseball parks. Don't squander cash on Zeolite. Instead add chips to foster mycorrhizae bacteria growth and perhaps some red clay

Example -- My local Tamarac (33321) athletic field has a huge pile of red Georgia clay to apply to the baseball diamonds. If I owned a pickup truck I would have already backed it up and taken some since I am paying taxes here. And that our local honchos were just given coverage for sleaze. They were and are voting themselves in new outrageous pensions and perks. Bastards!

Tamarac corruption-- https://news.yahoo.com/stop-costly-witch-hunt-tamarac-190400544.html

The city of Tamarac is officially out of control.

Commissioners are expected to spend up to $50,000 Wednesday so a law firm can conduct a witch hunt over who tipped off a Sun Sentinel reporter to their selfish scheme to spend money on lavish perks for themselves. Tamarac should reconsider and reject this reckless idea that could permanently stain the city’s reputation — and it should forget the perks, too.

A city spending city money to investigate city employees for providing a public record? It’s shocking in its stupidity and will only create more chaos in a city that has too much of it. This investigation will terrify loyal and hard-working employees who have done nothing wrong.

What makes it so outrageous is that the information provided to the reporter documented misspending by commissioners themselves. Whoever might have tipped off Sun Sentinel reporter Lisa J. Huriash to this gross misuse of money deserves a ticker-tape parade on Commercial Boulevard, not an inquisition by petty politicians.

Four commissioners were furious that details of a draft of a budget amendment memo by the city finance director, dated March 28, got to the newspaper even though the six-page memo said most of the spending had previously been approved by commissioners — over the lone opposition of Mayor Michelle Gomez.

This catalog of greed included $75,000 a year for the five officials to travel within 100 miles (in addition to local expense reimbursements and a combined $84,000 car allowance); $75,000 to hire aides; $50,000 to redesign their offices; $30,000 for new furniture; $30,000 for a “technology allowance”; $20,000 for so-called education reimbursements; and $50,000 for a multimedia outreach program. Other perks listed included $19,500 a year for each commissioner in deferred compensation, the maximum allowed under a federal plan, and full health benefits, on top of city salaries of $50,240 for part-time work.

(excerpt)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:26:50 AM by zands »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 11:12:21 PM »
The red clay is mined in several places in Florida including here in Highlands County. I can attest to the fact that it can grow a fantastic peach tree and because it is typically mined below the root zone of most plants is usually free of nematodes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk