Author Topic: Stumbled across a 4in1 Pluot  (Read 1640 times)

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Stumbled across a 4in1 Pluot
« on: April 08, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »
I couldn't resist my local nursery had a 6 foot really nice 4 in 1 pluot tree with a 2 inch trunk. It has Splash, Emerald Drop, Geo Pride and Flavor Grenade. The fruit begins in early July and extends with Flavor Grenade through October and it can hold fruit on the tree for an additional 4 weeks.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:12:20 PM by containerman »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Stumbled across a 4in1 Pluot
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:09 PM »
Nice find.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »
All those varietyes from the trees are hibrids? Pluots?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/Pluot-interspecific-plums
Thx for that link.You have quite a diversity of these hibrids in USA.
I only have one,thats not even registered cultivar and i think its the best plum from the country of the biggest plum experts ( Romania).
Thats because its a hibrid not a plum  ;D.
A must have tree .All the fruits from my tree are eaten fresh because its soo good that nothing goes to waste,no fruit gets thrown to garbage.Even the fruits that fall on the ground,all are eaten.

They grow big and are prone to diseases.Had 2 giant ones in childhood that were full of wood pecker holes wich he covered with stones.
At somme point,grandfather cut them because they were ugly looking trees and i was heartbroken.
He then grafted the tree in the picture for me from a village man that got scions and had a grafted his own hibrid from those 2 trees.
After a few years since grandfather died,i found 5 fruits on the tree.I picked one to eat it and while eating it i hear mother cursing me because she kept those 5 fruits for my sister for when she arrives from Sweden.
Off course i got upset because at same time i realised this is the tree that grandfather planted especially for me and now mother doesnt allow me to eat the fruit.
You will fight with your family for this fruit,thats how good they are  :D.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »
All those varietyes from the trees are hibrids? Pluots?

yes all hybrids and they taste amazing. I should get fruit on this tree from July through the end of Oct into early Nov.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:40:19 AM »
Ive got that same tree.  The emarald drops are the best of those.  I think flavor king is probably better than those ones also. 
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »
Ive got that same tree.  The emarald drops are the best of those.  I think flavor king is probably better than those ones also.
Thanks for the input. I have a flavor grenade tree that we love which is also on this 4 in 1. I think any pluot is a good one I have yet to try one I didn't like. I'm also looking forward to trying my Pluerry this year, its the Flavor Punch

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 04:56:25 PM »
Ive read a little about these plum x apricot varietyes and they are all made with the small cherry plum ( the plum genes).
Mein hibrid its quite different and its made with Prunus Domestica plus apricot .
The seed its not bound to the flesh on my fruits and i think its much sweeter than just 16 brix because when the fruits are ripe on my tree,the fallen fruits exude sugars that coagulates identical to the sugars you see on mango .

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 06:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have a flavor grenade tree that we love which is also on this 4 in 1. I think any pluot is a good one I have yet to try one I didn't like. I'm also looking forward to trying my Pluerry this year, its the Flavor Punch

Flavor king is different than flavor grenade.  If you can get the flavor king, grow that one, it's amazing.  There's another really good one marketed as dinosaur eggs, real name "dapple dandy" they're great too. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:30:02 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »
After i googled somme studyes i found this ,wich says Prunus Domestica x Prunus Armeniaca are verry rare and they are verry sentive to Plum pox virus.
Now i know why my plum apricot hybrid looks like a sick tree.
The fruit however are not much affected and they are delicious.
This is what id call a plum and apricot hibrid.The american pluots ,plumcots would not be considered plums here because they are hibrids with mirabelle not plums.
And plums get a lot sweeter than mirabelle .
I think i have a much rarer tree than i toght after reading this study.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320446128_First_report_on_the_generation_of_Prunus_domestica_P_armeniaca_interspecific_hybrids_with_hypersensitivity_resistance_to_the_Plum_pox_virus

EDIT: i think my tree its a hibrid between the Greengage Althan( Allthe fruit says its the tastyest plum in the world) and apricot. https://youtu.be/BwtZTWeyzj4
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:22:03 PM by SeaWalnut »