Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939997 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #750 on: August 04, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »
hey guys,
What would be the ideal height of a trellis?

How tall are you?   ;)

5 feet is a good height IMO.

You don't want to have to climb a ladder to pick fruit and/or pollinate flowers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:54:12 AM by ricshaw »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 04, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
I've heard 6 feet is better to keep the ground predators away, if that is an issue for you.

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 04, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Nope, no ground predators here.

Since it is going in the ground, I am considering 2 feet under ground and 5 feet for the plant to climb on.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 04, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
We have mongoose here & after a while have learned to climb & eat dragon fruit.
Also rats have become a problem but it took several years till both figured it out.
A grower on the big island has noted that the spiny varieties { frankies red & Selenicereus megalanthus} dont have this problem.
good luck 

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »
Most of the Dragon Fruit growers I know have problems with birds and ants damaging fruit.

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:50 AM »
My T style trellis is 3ft high. Much easier to maintain.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 05, 2014, 02:16:50 AM »
5 feet is a good compromise, I wouldn't go lower than 4.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 05, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »
Our dragon fruits are loaded with flowers this year.  I hand pollinated a few dozens of flowers last night and another few dozen tonight.  It looks like there will be another wave tomorrow night.  These are the unknown white variety but the fruit is sweet & flavorful and it could reach to a softball size if they're hand pollinated.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 05, 2014, 02:54:19 AM »
Our dragon fruits are loaded with flowers this year.  I hand pollinated a few dozens of flowers last night and another few dozen tonight.  It looks like there will be another wave tomorrow night.  These are the unknown white variety but the fruit is sweet & flavorful and it could reach to a softball size if they're hand pollinated.

xshen what an absolutely stunning edible patch you have there. You truly have a green thumb!

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 05, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »
yea, beautiful.

What is that longans in the background and guavas in the fore?

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 05, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
Thank you Starling and Doglips. The longan is kahala and guava is a grafted crystal seedless.  The longans and guavas are also very productive this year.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »

By any chance are you going to the 2014 Pitahaya Festival?  ::)

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 05, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

By any chance are you going to the 2014 Pitahaya Festival?  ::)

I will try to make it if I can fnd a sitter.  I brought my son to the mango presentation and had to leave early cuase he got bored.   :-\

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »
Today I was surprised when a dear Mexican friend told me that she has a very delicious variety of Pitaya (Dragon Fruit). And, she is a very good 'Cook!' Immediatly, she had my attention, I mean, she's Mexican, a Cook, and I personally know her quite well. So, I'm hoping that her DF variety does taste as good as she says, which I have no reason to doubt. The way she described the taste was so good, that the next time I see her, I'm 'gonna' ask her to what other fruit is the taste quality similar to. She did ask me how many pieces I wanted, and not to be greedy, I said two. I can't wait to get the two pieces of her delicious variety, so that I can start the process of growing them, and ultimately compare the taste and overall quality to the only variety that I currently have ('David Bowie').

P.S.   My 'David Bowie' earlier this year produced the first 3 flowers ever. Then, they all dropped and no fruit followed. After this happened, I fertilized the plant. And, right now, it has 2 beautiful new flowers. I'm hoping to finally get fruit afterwards.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 07, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
Last night I had a flower bloom that I forgot about until I saw it this AM (4:30am , sad right?).  Anyways I tried to hand pollinate it.  What are the the odds of a sucessfull pollination at 4:30AM relative to when the flower opens at about 8:30PM?

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
Works for me. The results have been better when night pollinated.  Think will depend on the clone as some are more receptive than others.
Lets us know how it turns out

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 07, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
Today I was surprised when a dear Mexican friend told me that she has a very delicious variety of Pitaya (Dragon Fruit).
I thought dragon fruit is known as pitahaya in Mexico and pitaya is the columnar cactus. Those are good too except they flower near the top.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 11, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
Today I was surprised when a dear Mexican friend told me that she has a very delicious variety of Pitaya (Dragon Fruit).
I thought dragon fruit is known as pitahaya in Mexico and pitaya is the columnar cactus. Those are good too except they flower near the top.

The Dragon Fruit (Pitaya in Spanish) is a beautiful fruit cactus whose populatiry is accelerating. At one point, I expect it to catch on fire when a truly sweet variety is found.

There is an older, more mature cacti industry in Mexico, whereas in the USA, it's only now that it's starting to get some real traction. As a result, I've always wandered whether there already is an unknown, surprisingly sweet variety of Pitaya or Prickly-Pear that is not generally known about. Anyways, things are starting to get interesting, with both growing industries in Mexico and the USA, the conditions are likely to produce a surprisingly sweet variety(ies).
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:17 AM »
Is "Pitaya" Dragon Fruit or Prickly Pear?

In Southern California many CRFG call Dragon Fruit Pitahaya.

Wikipedia says; A pitaya or pitahaya is the fruit of several cactus species. "Pitaya" usually refers to fruit of the genus Stenocereus, while "Pitahaya" or "Dragonfruit" always refers to fruit of the genus Hylocereus.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:50:15 AM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »

That sounds about right to me.  But...  I don't speak Spanish.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:43 AM »
There is an older, more mature cacti industry in Mexico, whereas in the USA, it's only now that it's starting to get some real traction. As a result, I've always wandered whether there already is an unknown, surprisingly sweet variety of Pitaya or Prickly-Pear that is not generally known about. Anyways, things are starting to get interesting, with both growing industries in Mexico and the USA, the conditions are likely to produce a surprisingly sweet variety(ies).

The UCCE has in their collection in Irvine, CA some tasty varieties from Nicaragua growers.  My favorite is Armando. Lisa is popular with participants at tasting events.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:52:15 AM by ricshaw »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:32 AM »
Here is an update of my Frankie's Red fruit. They seem to be growing larger than what I expected. Frankie's Red appears like it will fill the void between the regular DF and the Yellow megalanthus. Anyone have pictures showing the final size or perhaps the inside of a Frankie's Red? Any additional information on Frankie's Red is greatly appreciated.

Simon

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:32 PM »
Here is an update of my Frankie's Red fruit. They seem to be growing larger than what I expected. Frankie's Red appears like it will fill the void between the regular DF and the Yellow megalanthus. Anyone have pictures showing the final size or perhaps the inside of a Frankie's Red? Any additional information on Frankie's Red is greatly appreciated.

I did not know that Frankie's Red fruit was so thorny!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

Should keep the critters off :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 12, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »

The Frankie's Red is supposed to be a cross of a red fleshed DF and the S Megalanthus and it looks like it retained the spines of the Megalanthus. The spines will hopefully keep the pests away.

Simon