Author Topic: Your opinions on my Fruit Punch mango tree, plase.  (Read 1989 times)

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
Your opinions on my Fruit Punch mango tree, plase.
« on: September 30, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »
This tree has a growth pattern where a lot of the new flush has multiple branches. I'm wondering if I should trim anywhere or just let it happen for awhile. I think the one lower branch should probably be reduced to just a few offshoots. Your thoughts?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinions on my Fruit Punch mango tree, plase.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »
I think your instincts are pretty good on that. Maybe just thin the side branches at the growth rings.  Always time to prune it next season or the season after. Let it fruit and enjoy :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »
Good looking tree. Probably wouldn’t hurt to just let it keep growing another season or two. I can only speak on my two years experience growing mangos, but I like to keep the node offshoots to only three or four. Here is a good video I refer back to when it comes to making pruning decisions:

https://youtu.be/zh1AnvNa6mc

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »
Has it ever fruited? If it did, what did it taste like?

Like a Fruit Punch mango...
- Rob

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »
That’s a nice looking tree, if it were in SoCal I would keep it as it is. However, since you are in Florida, you can shape the tree the way you like it because it will grow back in no time. I like the shape of Dr. Campbell trees.  https://youtu.be/ns5jYsTswnQ

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 12:30:00 AM »
Those spots with lots of branches all together can get weak and break. 

Its best to tip the branch right below those tightly spaced nodes so the new shoots are more spaced out.  And thin down to 3 branches per tip. 

Brad Spaugh

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 06:08:19 AM »
@fishinsteeg what mangos do you have?

Mangomadness,

I have a 2 year old Valencia pride, and 1 year old Keitt, Orange sherbet, and Fruit Punch. All purchased as 3 gal. The VP gets pruned several times a year. The VP and OS are in the ground, and the other two will be going in the ground this upcoming early spring.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:03 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.

The tree hasn't produced fruit yet. I've only just started planting trees, but I'm very excited about the potential in my back yard.

I will definitely take the advice about cutting back all the branches off a single node. That area was my main concern. I will shape it so the three best branches point out in the right direction for a nicer canopy.

What's the latest we should be pruning our trees in Florida? I didn't want to prune if the best time has already passed by.

Thanks again

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
Dont be so quick to cut back anything.  I have 22 mangoes in ground for 3.5 years, many push like this at times and have had no issues.  Tipping inground trees is not always the best.  I have found over the years is that trees provide better shape when just to let them do their thing when young with no pruning (first 3-5 years from a 3 gal).  The only pruning I do (other than an occasional cutting of budwood) is trimming of low limbs that drag near the ground as the tree gets older.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
I still tip prune but I do agree I don't think its as necessary as I once did.

I change my style to start tipping at chest height and continue it until I can hollow out the inside.
My goal is not to have to prop fruit off the floor, airflow and a nice shade canopy I can sort of walk under. (i don't mind using a picker and/or a step ladder for now)

If you want a bush style mango tree then I still think the Dr. Campbell method is still the way to go.

As for the OP question:
I'd keep the 3 healthiest branch that are not at the top of the branching point (last 2 pictures)

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »
im in a similar situation with a potted cogshall i have. it has 2 lower branches coming out from 1 point on the trunk, but at around the 5 foot mark it has maybe 6 or 7 branches, many of those branches have already split and are giving 2 to 3 branches, if that makes any sense. the tree as of now looks like a lolipop, with a bare trunk then tons of growth at the very top.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 07:41:18 PM »
im in a similar situation with a potted cogshall i have. it has 2 lower branches coming out from 1 point on the trunk, but at around the 5 foot mark it has maybe 6 or 7 branches, many of those branches have already split and are giving 2 to 3 branches, if that makes any sense. the tree as of now looks like a lolipop, with a bare trunk then tons of growth at the very top.

That's how the top of mine looks, but I don't want to cut it. The branches at the top look strong. I'm going to let it go for awhile. I feel if they keep growing and splitting it should lead to a nice canopy.

I have lots of room and honestly want bigger trees.

Right now I have a glenn and a fruit punch in the ground, and a lemon zest and M4 in pots ready to be planted. I'm thinking nam doc mai next.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »

my plan is to let them keep growing until i have viable rootstock, then ill thin the tree and use the scions in a grafting project i have, ill add some pics when i get home.
That's how the top of mine looks, but I don't want to cut it. The branches at the top look strong. I'm going to let it go for awhile. I feel if they keep growing and splitting it should lead to a nice canopy.

I have lots of room and honestly want bigger trees.

Right now I have a glenn and a fruit punch in the ground, and a lemon zest and M4 in pots ready to be planted. I'm thinking nam doc mai next.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
heres my cogshall, as you can see the node has a few branches coming off of it, i alreadt yipped the center branch just below the tip so hopefully itll get a few staggered branches.

on another note, anyone know why my leaves look wavy? neither my pickering or my sugarloaf are having this leaf curling problem.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »
In case you have a pair of those fancy Italian pruning shears and are itching to use them. Go to the lower branches measure up 18in and head it or pug it whatever you want to call it. Option two cut off the lower branches which will make it easier for you to mow around with your zero turn radius mower. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »

Prune hard and early I reckon.