Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620721 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
Hello everybody

My name is Zach and I live in the northern part of Dade County South Florida. I am a chiropractor by trade, and have taken a liking to exotic and tropical fruits. When I first tasted jackfruit a year ago I became hooked and completely obsessed. LOL. So far I have planted a carambola tree, nam doc Mai mango, keitt mango, and Mai 3 Jackfruit. I look forward to learning more. I would like to plant Avocado, sugar apple and passionfruit. I have a small trellis fence behind the house along the water where I live. I was thinking this would be good to grow passionfruit. Does anybody know how long it would take to do so?

Hi Zach, if you plant the passionfruit from seed they usually fruit in 1-2 years. If you buy plants you can usually get them to fruit in a year or less. It's a good idea to plant passionfruits on a fence--helps to beautify the fence and you should get lots of fruits spread over many months. I personally really like the taste of passionfruit added to any drink--gives it a real tropical taste and fragrance.
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »
welcome Zach. Passion fruit on the fence is an amazing idea.
do you have any pics of your garden

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
Welcome Zach!

-Luke

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »
Hi Zach and welcome to the forum....officially, now you've posted in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. Looks like you got a good start on a fruit tree collection.  How much space to you have to work with.  It is our pleasure to help you overfill the available space with lots of great fruiting trees.  I'll be sending you a private message through the forum as well.  Please be on the look out for it.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Thank You for the welcome messages! Just got home from the office but tomm I will post pics of my projects so far so you guys can tell me what you think!

Hi Harry, I will check my inbox now.

Zach
Zach

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
Hi, My name is Mike. I live in Boynton Beach,Fl. I was a frequent use of Garden Web but found this forum and noticed most of yall on here are the same from the other forum only this one is set up better. Anyway, I had to foreclose my last house and finally was able to acquire my own space again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take many of my plants with me as I had to rent a while before purchasing. I left the Tropical Fruit addiction for a while and am now ready to get back into it. I have been growing tropical fruits since about 2006. My favorites are the Lychees, Sugar Apples, Mangos and Sapodilla. I do have some experience grafting and budding..I took a class at PBCC a couple years on Plant Propogation. I am currently employed as a Firefighter though my dream is to live on a farm....I am working on setting up a 1000gal aquaponics system and I grow some organic vegetables in raised beds. It would be nice to meet up with anyone in the area to learn their cultivation techniques and meet face to face...Hope I can ad my knowledge and take some with me....Thanks for the forum, Mike

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!  :) ;) ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi, My name is Mike. I live in Boynton Beach,Fl. I was a frequent use of Garden Web but found this forum and noticed most of yall on here are the same from the other forum only this one is set up better. Anyway, I had to foreclose my last house and finally was able to acquire my own space again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take many of my plants with me as I had to rent a while before purchasing. I left the Tropical Fruit addiction for a while and am now ready to get back into it. I have been growing tropical fruits since about 2006. My favorites are the Lychees, Sugar Apples, Mangos and Sapodilla. I do have some experience grafting and budding..I took a class at PBCC a couple years on Plant Propogation. I am currently employed as a Firefighter though my dream is to live on a farm....I am working on setting up a 1000gal aquaponics system and I grow some organic vegetables in raised beds. It would be nice to meet up with anyone in the area to learn their cultivation techniques and meet face to face...Hope I can ad my knowledge and take some with me....Thanks for the forum, Mike

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you made the move from GW. If I remember correctly, you had a mangosteen tree at one point right. Did that survive the moves? I think I took the PBCC propagation class based on your recommendation once at Excalibur. It was a good class but I only took it to learn about micropropagation and I never went to the class after we did that.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »
Murahilin, hey, yes I had the mangosteen but I gave away most of my plants to my neighbor and only took of few of the ones I thought could survive some abuse...nothing with taproots, and nothing that needed extra special care. What are you up to these days? After reading some of these posts it looks like many new varieties are constantly popping up...even in the past couple years I've been off the fruits forums...Looks like it's time to play catch-up...

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
Welcome mike!

-Luke

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
Hi Everybody;
 Live on the East coast of central Florida. Wish I knew about all the amazing fruit out there half my lifetime ago when I bought my house so all my trees would be as old as my tangerine, orange and grapefruit.
I just like to grow stuff.
In addition to my above 3 citrus, I have:
Key Lime, Variegated Pink Lemon, Pomegranate, Kent mango, Mallika mango, pineapples, sugar cane.
Bananas: Ice Cream, FHIA 17, Dwarf Namwah, Manzano, Dwarf Red, Raja Puri (with fruit), Gros Michel, Grand Nain (flowering) and Dwarf Cavendish.
Dragon Fruit: Dark Star, Haleys Comet, Physical Graffiti, Purple Haze, Yellow, Vietnamese Jaina and American Beauty
A bunch of different types of Papaya from seed (all still small)
Veggies: Tomatoes (different types), Egg Plant (different types), Leeks, Fennel, Sweet peppers, HOT peppers (datil, Ghost, Jamaican Hot Chocolate), Brussel sprouts, peas.
Orchids
I am sure there is more.

Like I said wish I started growing most of these way back instead over the last few years.

Still looking to get another lime tree and maybe another mango (or two) and then I might be done (doubtful).

DM

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »
Hi Dangermouse01,

Welcome to the Team/Forum   ;D ;D ;D

You have an excellent selection of fruit trees... ;)

-Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've neglected to post on this thread up until now, but I'm a middle school history teacher in the Inland Empire of Southern California.  I have a lovely wife and three beautiful, energy-draining little girls.  They're my garden "helpers" and really enjoy picking wild strawberries and fresh carrots whenever they get the chance.  I've developed a real love of gardening over the past five years, or so, and specifically of growing fruit over the past year or so.  As a result, a lot of my trees are not yet mature enough to be bearing.

I'm trying to grow a variety of temperate and subtropical fruits, but I'm most excited about the thought of fruiting my own mangoes, dragonfruit, lychees, jaboticabas and cherimoyas.  I've also got a number of eugenias and bananas, and haven't yet totally given up on the dream of keeping a jakfruit seedling alive long enough to fruit.  I look forward to learning a great deal from the experience of the members on this forum, and I hope I will be able to contribute something, as well.

James
James

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
Hi guys,

I have been lurking for a bit and finally decided to post, apparently since it was merged I posted errantly :P oops.

My name is Colin, I live on the south(ish) side of Cape Coral, FL. I'm 26, married with a 6.5 month old son and really kicking myself for not planting the trees when we first bought this house 2 years ago. I am the director of Quality Assurance for a small local company that produces a medical device (in the form of software).

I was bored the beginning of this year and remembered that I always wanted to get rid of the crappy Florida lawn and started planting trees. Unfortunately I am only on a standard 10,000 sqft lot, so not a huge amount of room.. but I am trying to get the most out of it possible!

So far I have planted this year..
Valencia Pride Mango
Nam Doc Mai Mango
Glenn Mango
Mallika Mango (much smaller than the above 3)
Cotton Candy Berry / Strawberry tree / Jamaican Cherry
Hass Avocado (supposedly a  "Florida" specific cultivar)
Dragonfruit unsure which variety
various citrus, lemon, persian lime, clementine tangerine and naval orange
Red Lady Papaya
and a garden with various herbs fruits and vegetables.

I am eying a sugar apple for the remaining spot I have left, but calming down a bit from the mass spending spree.

Impatiently waiting next season for all the fruit trees to produce, although this year I should get a dozen or so mango :)

- Colin

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Max (aka longanluva). I want to say thank you to everyone on the forum  for sharing their knowledge and experiences.
This hobby/addiction started around 2009, the time when i moved to San Gabriel, Ca. I started all crazy about longans. I love longans so much i planted 4 trees in 1 hole in my front yard and 1 in the back. Now it's mangos, lychees, gauva, dragon Fruit, citrus, peaches n necterines and so on. I'm really into grafting now as well. So far I've had success with mango, citrus, peaches, nectarines, and pears. Thats all for now.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »
Hello folks after finding this site just now I decided to contribute immediately.I am Mike T of Cairns, North Queensland and grow about 80 fruit trees of 60 species with a variety of herbs and vegetables also.The species and varieties I have are weighted in favour of the tropical and equatorial asians but I do have many of the meso and southern americans as well.I have been careful to select the finest varieties and routinely swap plants and seeds with other enthusiasts around australia,having mailed off 20 parcels of mixed species in the past few months.Anyway, here I am and lets get down to it.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
I've been lurking around here for a little while now. like Mike T, I'm kind of in exile from an Australian board I posted on.
I live in brisbane, Queensland, in a nice sub-tropical climate where most trees seem to grow well. I have a small block and too many trees, but also have access to blocks of land in cooler parts of town, suited to Mango, Jakfruit and Lychee growing in particular. I started off growing many myrtle family plants, but with the spread of myrtle rust here being awful, I've shifted to growing Garcinia and have  a few - bakupari, madruno, achacha, luc's garcinia, brunei cherry, imbe, native mangosteen, mundu, yellow mangosteen, lemon drop and a purple mangosteen that is growing rather well - as well as a baby of mike's very special purple mangosteen. Also have quite a few citrus, avocado, jaboticaba (white, yellow, small leaf, large leaf - on the lookout for a blue grape) black sapotes, sapodilla, mamey, canistel, rollinia, soursop, guava, grapes, dwarf mangoes, loquat, persimmons, lychee, abiu and lots of others in pots that I grow mostly to give away through the local fruit clubs to encourage others to grow good fruit suited to our climate.

Anyhow, this is me with my little man under a nice nightingale persimmon at the local botanic garden. He loves eating nearly all fresh fruit and many of the things I grow go straight to his belly!

Also, its probably blasphemy to make such an admission on a fruit forum, but my favorite tree crop is pictured in my avatar - the local Bunya Nut.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:31:29 AM by BMc »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2012, 07:49:02 AM »
Wow....a bunch of new members.  Great to have mikesid, BMc, Mike T, fruit4me,demingcr, Dangermouse01 and emegar. I was not keeping up with my forum threads and missed all of your joining posts until this morning.  Looks like we have a really good group of new fruit enthusiasts with a wide range of interests, expereince and growing conditions.  Looking forward to lots of new posts from all of you.  A warm welcome to all.

Harry

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
BJ you are the source as i saw your link.These look like friendly shores for a cyber refugee.Thanks for the welcome Harry.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
Hey MikeT and other new members....please put your location pin on the members map.   http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=googlemap

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2012, 01:11:19 AM »
I haven't checked out this thread in a long while, so I just want to welcome all of the new t.f.f members.   :)
Alexi

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
Hi to all new members :)

We are happy to have y'all aboard!!!

I hope in 5 month's time our forum grows to 5000 member...which will be a blast ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
It's really nice to have new international members. So far this group is heavily weighted with Americans, especially of the Floridian mango loving types.  ;)
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:01 AM »
Great to see all of you join the group - and I can't help agreeing with Oscar (once again).! One of the major differences between the yahoo forum and this one is the first has a much broader representation of members from all corners of the world - so, your participation is highly appreciated  ;)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
Notice the name is International Tropical Fruit Growers. Dear moderatiors, please do whatever you can to promote this as an international site and attract international members. I love Florida but don't want this group to become totally Floridacentric.
Oscar