Author Topic: Agitator kit for backpack sprayer  (Read 829 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Agitator kit for backpack sprayer
« on: January 05, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
I have a relatively inexpensive backpack sprayer that I use fairly often. I can not use it for items that require constant agitation to keep the product in suspension (such as sulphur).
I was wondering if anyone made an after market kit that I can attach to my sprayer.  Perhaps that runs on a battery.  It is extra weight but I can fill the tank to the 3 or 4 gal mark when the kit is connected.

Yes, I saw the post about the "Country Way 15 Gallon Spot Sprayer w/1 GPM Everflo Pump"  This looks like a viable second option but I will have to drive it around the yard instead of slinging in on my back.  I may look in to this some more if the option of a kit does not pan out.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Agitator kit for backpack sprayer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:29:42 PM »
Trying to be creative here. Since I can't imagine a backpack sprayer holding more than a couple of gallons of product, perhaps you could fabricate a holder for a battery operated handheld kitchen blender or mixer which might move the material enough. Just an off the wall thought and would require some sort of fabrication to hold it in position while it is running.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »
You are thinking what I am thinking except I am sure someone must have had this idea and built something already.
If I find nothing, I may have to put on my design cap and make something.

I saw information for products for larger tanks like the Rittenhouse jet agitation kits but nothing that will fit a 4 to 5 gallon tank.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:16:59 AM »
Off the wall thought here.  There are some small handheld waterproof misting fans that are pretty cheap.  While the misting feature would not be of any help, I wonder if the mechanisms are sealed well enough that you could use the misting area to counterweight it down, and just drop it into the tank with it turned on.  The fan blade mechanism would agitate the liquid inside the backpack and be safe as long as the battery compartment and the blade bearings seal out water penetration.  Even if the battery compartment is not sealed, you could put a little silicone around that area and peel it away when the batteries need to be changed.

These things are real cheap, many under $10.  Just get one that has a shroud around the blades so it operates continuously. It would probably be easy to even try a little velcro with double sided tape to attach it in a particular spot at the bottom of the tank and thus be removable.

Crazy but might just work.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:26 AM »
Someone here put 12v bilge pump in tank to recirculate mix.
Sounds like great solution to me.

Side note, sulfur label i read yesterday said mix amount to be used in little water to make paste before adding rest of water.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:57:24 AM »
Someone here put 12v bilge pump in tank to recirculate mix.
Sounds like great solution to me.

Side note, sulfur label i read yesterday said mix amount to be used in little water to make paste before adding rest of water.
I am one that did the bilge pump for my 15 gallon tank and it works well.  I was trying to think out of the box here for agitating a smaller backpack sprayer.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »
I added a 12v pump to my tow behind spray tank with a spray bar(pvc pipe I drill holes into) at the bottom of the tank that pushes the settling solids back into the mix. That was relatively easy since it already required 12v power source to run. Back pack sprayers are usually not electric or would not be 12v. You can add a 12v battery and 12v pump. Since this is something that you are engineering, do so at your own risk and be careful of the risks of fire and electrocution and spraying chemicals which may cause bodily harm, blindness, etc, etc. 

Here is a 12v Li rechargeable battery that may work for you for $37.
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=sr_1_29?crid=RPIZKHX8OYE0&dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+lithium+battery&qid=1609940902&sprefix=12+volt+li%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-29

This is the pump I am using, $17
https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-Priming-Sprayer-Pressure-Adjustable/dp/B07F35PTFR/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf2_0?cv_ct_cx=12+volt+pump&dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+pump&pd_rd_i=B07F35PTFR&pd_rd_r=26123e01-7575-4034-aca3-bf27a763373a&pd_rd_w=qonhp&pd_rd_wg=5Lgb3&pf_rd_p=e0f994a8-a359-40a9-8917-dadca71c7184&pf_rd_r=MZCQT2KB0PXK7FHJ8NGD&psc=1&qid=1609941177&sr=1-2-526ea17f-3f73-4b50-8cd8-6acff948fa5a
Brandon