Author Topic: Plants that Came Back From the Dead - Stories of Hope  (Read 1120 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Plants that Came Back From the Dead - Stories of Hope
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Well, I know a number of us have had these experiences, so here is a good place to share stories of your plant that appeared dead for 6 months or even a year or two and then suddenly came back to life! Sure, many plants that die are a lost cause, but if you don't dig them up and they had a chance to establish first, some might have good roots and come back.

I've had taro disappear to the point where I forgot exactly where I planted it, and it returned a full year later. I had a ginger that returned after 6 months. I had a Cherry of the Rio Grande that came back to life TWICE, after 6 months dead each time due to spider mite ravaging. I also had a few small plants return from what appeared to be certain death from aphid infestation, after dunking their pots for 24 hrs underwater. The dry season here is brutal...

I've also had 2 large bougainvilleas (the flowers are edible and highly antioxidant, in case you didn't know) die from saltwater inundation, and come back about 5 months later.

So just last week I noticed that my Rangoon Creeper - which is in fact edible, by the way - is growing new leaves. Um, that vine has been dead for a year and a half, and only had a few months to establish itself in the first place! I just never found the time to pull it out, and then I forgot about it. I guess it likes the new rain we've been having! So excited if I'll finally get to taste it!

So anybody else have stories of plant reappearance, and possibly even full recovery, after a traumatic brush with death? Tell us how long it was gone, what happened to it, and what if anything you did to help it revive? Did you check the roots or cut the flesh to see if there was anything still living in there? Most of mine I just don't disturb, but if it's spider mite, which we have a bad problem with down here, I'll generally pull the plant out and toss it. Sometimes though I don't feel up to it and then I forget... and sometimes, that leads to a very pleasant surprise!

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Re: Plants that Came Back From the Dead - Stories of Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
YES !!!

this has happened to me before, and ive been growing tropical and rare fruit trees for a few years now.
but this year really hit home. i learned to WAIT... and wait more... LOL.

In January we had 26F temps (just 1 nitght below 32F all year)
and i lost, or, thought i lost several plants.
the news had said the lowest temp was supposed to be 34F the day before.
then i got home, tired, it was getting dark, and the weatherman said maybe 29F.

i figured microclimate, im tired...LaLala...
i fell asleep.

i lost 8 mango 3gallon (from seed, didnt cost me much)

2 beautiful black sapote outgrowing 5 gallon pots.
a Mamey in a 10 (12 or 15?) gallon tub.

and several others (i thought)
but most of those are coming back.

2 Cherimoya, didnt re-leaf till end of May, + June 2nd
1 mango in ground (was 6ft tall and started fruiting) came back end of may.
Jackfruit in ground - end of may
jackfruit in container (lost it)
Java plum, begining of May
Muntingia -end of April.

i re-used the soil and container for the 2 black sapote, a Neem, and a Cacao
(im sure the Cacao wouldnt have come back)

but i wish i would have waited longer for the black sapote.

a few pics below (taken at different times in the last few weeks)

Java plum /Jambul/Jamun

Mango in ground

Baobob

Jackfruit

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
An mango I picked up years ago that got hit hard by two successive frosts. I was still new at trees so I didn't give up hope and just planted the dead stump in the back 40 out of the way of everything. Lo and behold, spring comes and so do new leaves. I doubt it will ever get tree like in shape or have any hope the mangos will be any good since growth is coming up below the graft but its fun watching it.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:50:05 AM »
I've killed my only Kwai Muk tree 3 times by too much (love) fertilizer. It's a nicely shaped, 4ft. tree currently. I have been scratching my head at this tree for years it seems. Great, and I do mean, Great topic! I have pondered this weirdness for a while. Thank you LP! I can't wait for everyones stories. I'm sure I can think of a few more...the Kwai Muk has been "Muking" with me (Bah dum Tsss) for ages. Chris
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk