Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Yuzu seedling growing in Washington state

(1/5) > >>

SoCal2warm:
Yuzu seedling in Olympia, WA, in Yashiro Japanese garden.

The seedling is growing on its own roots, and is not covered during winter. The plant is a little over two and a half feet high. Still has its leaves, which don't look too bad.

The city is in climate zone 8a but the garden is in the downtown area, so it might get a little less cold.

picture taken March 11, 2021
47 degrees latitude north

Laaz:

lol!

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: Laaz on March 11, 2021, 07:27:22 PM ---
lol!

--- End quote ---
And what do you find so funny?

You do realize that it's more challenging growing hardy citrus in the Pacific Northwest climate zone 8a than it is in the Southeast zone 8a?
This is the farthest north I am aware of Yuzu growing outside in the ground, uncovered, in North America.
With the possible exception of Vancouver island, but that's a really unique location there because of being surrounded by water, and even then they have to resort to certain special strategies.
The winters in Olympia typically get just a little colder than they do in Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

All the more notable because this is surviving growing on its own roots, not grafted to trifoliata.

swincher:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on March 11, 2021, 08:25:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Laaz on March 11, 2021, 07:27:22 PM ---
lol!

--- End quote ---
And what do you find so funny?

You do realize that it's more challenging growing hardy citrus in the Pacific Northwest climate zone 8a than it is in the Southeast zone 8a?
This is the farthest north I am aware of Yuzu growing outside in the ground, uncovered, in North America.
With the possible exception of Vancouver island, but that's a really unique location there because of being surrounded by water, and even then they have to resort to certain special strategies.
The winters in Olympia typically get just a little colder than they do in Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

All the more notable because this is surviving growing on its own roots, not grafted to trifoliata.

--- End quote ---

Definitely impressive! I know a few people with yuzu on trifoliate here in Seattle, but always in sheltered locations against houses. Not aware of any on own roots.

Balance:
Impressive! Gives me hope for mine, I have recently sprouted nearly half a dozen yuzu seeds from a member of the forums and have them growing in my greenhouse. As mine get larger, I plan to plant them in ground with little to no protection, depending on how severe the winter is supposed to be. Hoping for some homegrown citrus in the coming years! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version