Author Topic: Mothers Day coming up  (Read 2397 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mothers Day coming up
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
Just a reminder for everyone on the forum to give mom a call and tell her how special she is to you. For about the last twenty years, I've been giving my mom an orchid arrangement that I put together myself. My mom loves the beauty of orchids and takes pride because I hand select each orchid to ensure the color scheme works together as a whole. My wife loves these arrangements as well and my daughters love helping me pick out the individual plants.

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Mothers Day coming up
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
You are such a loverable son! Your mom is very lucky to have a son like you. You will be blessed for being dutiful to parents, especiallly to you mom.
By the way your arrangements are beautiful !

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
Nice! I looked at the larger photos for all!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, I got a real sense of what moms go though when I was beside my wife as she was giving birth to my two daughters. I almost passed out the entire time my wife was in labor because she was having such a difficult and painful time giving birth. My wife gave birth to both my daughters all natural, no epidural. I wanted her to take the epidural because she was in so much pain but she was determined not to get it as she was worried about our unborn children getting drugged up.

I realized at that moment that moms put up with so much crap from people including me and the kids and they are selfless in their sacrifices and expect nothing in return for their acts. I was a terrible child growing up and I don't know how my parents were able to keep me and my three brothers in line.

Moms deserve more than the words "I love you". https://m.youtube.com/results?q=frankie%20j%20more%20than%20words&sm=1 Show her how you really feel. A little cheesy but the meaning of this song is wonderful.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
Here's an arrangement I made for my boss when she gave birth last year

Simon

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
This is so sweet! Beautiful arrangements. Very kind and thoughtful of you. :)
Anisha

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
Thanks Anisha. Here's one last one my daughters helped me to pick out for my wife.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
Moms love orchids! I guess most would not like an arrangement of bonsai fruit trees?  ;) I'm looking for that special mom that would appreciate some fruit trees?  8)
If you give your mom orchids make sure to include some instructions on how to take care of them, and maybe even a bag of slow release fertilizer. Most people unfortunately treat decorative plants as "throw aways" as soon as they stop flowering. And i find that sad.  :'(
Thanks for being good to your mom (and dad).
Oscar

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:09:58 PM »
My parents aren't as enthusiastic about growing fruit as I am so I do the growing and I bring them the fruit. In a month or two when all the blooms drop, I usually take back the orchids and nurture them until they gain their strength back before forcing them to bloom again. I get a lot of Keikis( baby orchid clones) and repot them in orchid bark and my coworkers line up to receive them.

The main thing I do to keep these Phalenopsis alive is to remove the moss that the orchids come in and replant them in orchid bark. Most of the store bought Phalenopsis have mold and crown rot so I have to put them in intensive care after their blooms drop.

I look up to my mom and dad, I literally wouldn't be here without them. Happy Mothers Day everyone!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
My mother also loves orchids. I used to have to bring her orchids from Hawaii, but now it's very easy to get them in southern California, where she lives. She lives in an apartment so has no backyard. But it must be in the blood because she often tries to grow mangoes from seed and pineapples from crowns on her little shaded patio.  8)
Oscar

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:37 AM »
Oscar, now we know where you got the fruit bug from. I can get along with anyone willing to grow mango from seeds or pineapples from crowns 😃

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
Very nice Simon. I like the idea of a line of different orchids in a pot. I am not a big fan of orchids but I wouldn't mind my kids to give them to me for any occasion. I am the Mom who would appreciate some fruit trees, lol. Oscar, you've found me!  ;) ;D

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Happy Mother's Day to all mothers. They deserve much more than just one day a year.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

Simon those are just gorgeous!!!...I definitely wouldn't mind one bit getting one of those Orchid arrangements...Great job!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all our moms ( me included) on the forum  :)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
Very pretty arrangements Simon!... It's really sweet of you and I'm sure your Mom and Wife are just going to love those! Nice work!..:) Hope you enjoy Mothers day!

Oscar, your mom sounds like a special lady! Galka's right...Search no more, you've found the jackpot!...There's quiet a few moms here who would love a fruit tree... 8)

Happy Mothers Day everyone! :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone! Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there!

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk