Author Topic: 1st Day Of Summer - 6/21/2013  (Read 8545 times)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
1st Day Of Summer - 6/21/2013
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
It's the first day of a long, hot, steamy summer season, and hopefully it'll be filled with tons of fruit...:) When I think of summer, there's a few fruit that just stand out....They just scream the arrival of summer!!! (and just a few pics from of my backyard-orchard..:) )

Mangoes -Yum!!!!

Sapodillas, Mamey and Guavas...

A little surprise in a Tikal..:)

Pineapple, Jackfruit...
Papaya,

Melons....Watermelon!!! There's nothing like a hot summer's day by the pool or beach, or picnic, and a big slice of Watermelon, with juice dripping down your chin and hands... ;D

Avocados...all that guacamole!!... :P

Don't forget, Strawberries, Blueberries, peaches, nectarines and plums...Passion fruit, Dragon fruit, Jujubes...

My little tiger protecting the blueberries from the "bird" thieves.

Sitting around on a lazy afternoon, surrounded by the scent of jasmine,  biting into a juicy fruit...now what could be better!
Ohh and my favorite for last... waiting for those Annonas to ripen (at the end of summer)... A nice way to end things, don't you think?..:)

There's plenty of fruit in summer...

What screams Summer to you? What are you waiting on to ripen? What will make your tummy happy this summer?

Have a Happy Summer everyone, and Happy Fruiting!!    :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:25:40 PM by GreenThumb »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: 1st Day Of Summer - 6/21/2013
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
Summer has always been my favorite time of year, as a kid because didn't have to go to dreaded school: summer vacation, yippeee!  :D As an adult because i love to watch plants grow, and during summer they grow so incredibly fast! It's my busiest time of year but also my favorite time of year. I love those really loooong days.
I guess fruit that most symbolizes summer in my mind is watermelon. Just gotta have a watermelon on 4th of July! Seems like a patriotic duty.  8)
Happy and fruitful summer everybody!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:10:16 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
It was the winter solstice here yesterday and the 21st day of winter. We had the discussion last year about how seasons are defined differently around the world. I have to admit I was not aware of the solstice to equinox rather than the 3 calendar months defined summer.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »
It was the winter solstice here yesterday and the 21st day of winter. We had the discussion last year about how seasons are defined differently around the world. I have to admit I was not aware of the solstice to equinox rather than the 3 calendar months defined summer.

You Aussies down under are really in a topsy turvy world. Everybody knows summer really starts on the equinox and winter on the solstice! Yet you claim you're already on the 21st day of winter?  :o ???
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Oscar you guys just like to start late and make a grand entrance. The party is nearly over by the time the US arrives,  whether it be world wars or the seasons. The solstice is the shortest/longest day of the year and seasonal lag is only 3 weeks so it isn't a best fit approach and all waxing no waning. Just look at what the coldest and hottest 12 weeks are.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »
OK, didn't know wars are partys?  :o Glad i missed those partys!  ::)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Oscar I really meant summer not wars being a party.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »
Oscar I really meant summer not wars being a party.

I know! Just giving you a hard time!  ;) What are friends for if you can't teazzze em a bit?
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:10:25 AM »
Lovely photos GreenThumb, you live up to your screen name for sure.   :)

Because it gets so hot where I live, summer always reminds me of gardening in my Speedo. :o  :-X  So far this summer I've had a few Saturn doughnut style peaches, blueberries, tomatoes and peppers.  In the near future, I have my first home grown garcinia intermedia coloring up, guabiju on the tree, strawberry guavas, white sapotes, tropical guavas and a kind friend is supposed to bring me a whole jack fruit!  Plus lots of things are blooming like cherimoyas (they smell incredible) bananas, roses and randia fitzalanii which is probably the best smelling flower in the yard.  With all the warmth and sunshine during summer, the plants really take off

Good luck! 8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:55 AM »
Ethan it sounds like there is plenty of garden action.What are the maximum temps you are getting?Many of the local native plants are highly aromatic with Randia fitzalani nothing out of the ordinary I thought. I often pull out seedlings from volunteers deposited by birds.Some of the trees in my street have less than pleasant aromas at night and one Melaleuca smells like a wet dog mat.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Happy Summer or Winter were every you might be Mike and Ethan, thanks for that visual sense and ( smell) in those descriptions ??? ::) 8) 

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Summer has always been my favorite time of year, as a kid because didn't have to go to dreaded school: summer vacation, yippeee!  :D As an adult because i love to watch plants grow, and during summer they grow so incredibly fast! It's my busiest time of year but also my favorite time of year. I love those really loooong days.
I guess fruit that most symbolizes summer in my mind is watermelon. Just gotta have a watermelon on 4th of July! Seems like a patriotic duty.  8)

Summer's the best time to watch things grow, especially the tropical trees...:)

Growing up, we never had the three long months of summer holiday that kids have here, in the US. Hehe Vacation away from school was always fun, esp. in summer time, so we could play outside with friends from dawn to dusk. The games were always in or around trees, playing under trees, hiding behind them and the best.. climbing on a tree branch, eating watermelon or chewing sugar cane and spitting.. hehe ..:P Look Out Below!!

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »

Because it gets so hot where I live, summer always reminds me of gardening in my Speedo. :o  :-X  So far this summer I've had a few Saturn doughnut style peaches, blueberries, tomatoes and peppers.  In the near future, I have my first home grown garcinia intermedia coloring up, guabiju on the tree, strawberry guavas, white sapotes, tropical guavas and a kind friend is supposed to bring me a whole jack fruit!  Plus lots of things are blooming like cherimoyas (they smell incredible) bananas, roses and randia fitzalanii which is probably the best smelling flower in the yard.  With all the warmth and sunshine during summer, the plants really take off

Good luck! 8)

Thank you Ethan..:)
My thumbs are no greener than yours..:) I just like mingling around the trees, they pretty much do their own thing..:)

Looks like your Garden's thriving!! Gaubiju. Guaviyś? It's the first time I've come across this fruit. What's it like?
Let us now when you taste your Garcinia and enjoy that Jack..:P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:49:39 AM by GreenThumb »

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
I guess fruit that most symbolizes summer in my mind is watermelon. Just gotta have a watermelon on 4th of July! Seems like a patriotic duty. 8)
This is my tradition too..and it looks like I'll have a home grown melon perfectly ripe for the 4th! 8)

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
Ohhh!!!
Hehehehe...  ;D ;) ;D.. Remind me to call you before I ever visit your garden... :o.. hahahaha ;D 8) Remember the sunblock..:)

Yes sunblock is a must! ::)

Here is some info on last years gaubiju fruits.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2685.0

Make sure you give your tiger something special for protecting those berries.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »
Greenthumb, you have a wonderful fruit garden there. So many fruits! And, those are great pictures.

Summer is also my best time of the year. But, I'm starting to get into the winter also. It's like a challenge to make sure that there are plenty of fruit.

Have a wonderful summer everybody.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »
Ethan - Thanks for the info and great pics in the post. It really sounds like a winner..:)

Leooel - Thank you so much.. :) I'm glad you liked them. Having fruit year round is a worthy challenge..:) a Tropical Fruit growers Paradise!!

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
Ethan it sounds like there is plenty of garden action.What are the maximum temps you are getting?Many of the local native plants are highly aromatic with Randia fitzalani nothing out of the ordinary I thought. I often pull out seedlings from volunteers deposited by birds.Some of the trees in my street have less than pleasant aromas at night and one Melaleuca smells like a wet dog mat.

So far Mike, we've had one day up to 108F already though it has been rather nice other than that, anything under 100F and I'm happy.  My sniffer is not the best but R. Fitzalanii to me smells wonderful, all the sweetness of gardenia with a clean citrus scent in the finish.  Most the flowers in my garden were purchased for the fruits they produce, I do need to add a few just for smell.  What is your most pleasant smelling flower?  Wet dog mat doesn't seem to be a winner, might rank up there with stapelia blooms. :o

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »

Good luck! 8)
Ethan unless you're sporting Channing Tatum style abs that speedo visual is hard on my visual mind LOL I just can't imagine a guy in a speedo rifling through fruit trees :)

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
Some shots of what's growing in my yard on first day of summer...

http://youtu.be/Zt8K_usiOgs

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
Ethan unless you're sporting Channing Tatum style abs that speedo visual is hard on my visual mind LOL I just can't imagine a guy in a speedo rifling through fruit trees :)

Thankfully Marin, I was just joking.  BTW, I do have great abs, I just keep them safe under a layer or two of 'insulation'.  Besides getting sunburned in very bad spots, I also grow jujube, citrus and cacti. :o

Wow Kevin, great yard!  Funny choice of music too, I wasn't really paying attention just coveting your fruit photos when the chorus came in. 8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Ethan I have roses that are aromatic and flourish in winter. A Micromelom minutum next door and occasional bridal veil stinkhorn fungus raise the roof at times with smells.

It never gets 108f here and rarely 100f but sticks on about 98f for long periods.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
Cool :)

How did the Tikal taste?
Alexi

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
FF, nice garden setup, nice job.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »
Nice setup GreenThumb. I assume you move some of the trees indoors for the winter? I used to live down in Houston, but moved to Dallas recently...kicking myself for not moving further south a zone or two!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk