Author Topic: Mango Thieves, What would you do?  (Read 8635 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Mango Thieves, What would you do?
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
I was cracking up while watching this video, here we have this guy venting his frustration over mango thieves in Florida, while playing a video game. 

How many of you can relate?

COD MW3 - Mango Thieves
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Thieves, What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
I like MW3.  :) I agree. Mango thieves suck. I haven't experienced anybody taking mangoes from my front yard, but my valencia pride hasn't fruited yet. That's why I have one tree in the front and the rest in my back yard.
Alexi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
people near me' net the whole tree, and sometimes put up fake electric fences and cameras!

it seems to work...the net is best.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »
Have witnessed awful issues with theft in the past. There are varying levels....common 'petty' theft by passers-by is the most frequent. People taking a couple fruits, sometimes bagfuls. Then there are the "professionals"...people who will bring a truck and "picking crew" and strip your trees over-night. These types can be really determined, and will sometimes attempt to tear your fence down or drive through your gate to get to the fruit.

Just about every other commercial mango grower I have ever known has encountered serious theft at one point or another. This year I'm trying to take some extra measures to help prevent it but I actually factor it into the 'expected losses' now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:16:38 PM by Squam256 »

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
I am glad I haven't had that issue......
Anyone wondering too close to my property would not get passed the Pitbull'S......

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
Have witnessed awful issues with theft in the past. There are varying levels....common 'petty' theft by passers-by is the most frequent. People taking a couple fruits, sometimes bagfuls. Then there are the "professionals"...people who will bring a truck and "picking crew" and strip your trees over-night. These types can be really determined, and will sometimes attempt to tear your fence down or drive through your gate to get to the fruit.

Just about every other commercial mango grower I have ever known has encountered serious theft at one point or another. This year I'm trying to take some extra measures to help prevent it but I actually factor it into the 'expected losses' now.

We have the same problem up this way on Merritt Island some years.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »

Extra measures? 50 mm machine gun mounted on roof?  ;)
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »
Do you know any good signs that could be posted that may discourage fruit theft?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »
Do you know any good signs that could be posted that may discourage fruit theft?
How about, "I just wasted money on this sign to deter you from stealing my fruit...please help yourself".

Sorry, seriously, why would a sign deter anybody from stealing the fruit ?  They are already planning on stealing, they know the trees/property are not theirs.  A sign can be not only a waste of your money but an actual invitation to almost let them know that the sign is possibly your only line of defense from guarding the theft of the fruit.  If you property is fenced and you have a guard/attack dog protecting the property, the only sign that you are supposed to have, by law, is one that says, "bad dog".
- Rob

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »

The best thing I can think of is something like "required by law to inform you that you are being videotaped" Hardcore thiefs will probably laugh that off but most petty criminals will just move on to easier pickins if there is a chance of being recorded.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
How about, "I just wasted money on this sign to deter you from stealing my fruit...please help yourself".

Sorry, seriously, why would a sign deter anybody from stealing the fruit ?  They are already planning on stealing, they know the trees/property are not theirs.  A sign can be not only a waste of your money but an actual invitation to almost let them know that the sign is possibly your only line of defense from guarding the theft of the fruit.  If you property is fenced and you have a guard/attack dog protecting the property, the only sign that you are supposed to have, by law, is one that says, "bad dog".

Signs actually will deter some people....mostly your non-organized types. People are more likely to steal if they think the property owner doesn't care.

Security cameras, flood lights, dogs are all good measures.....Fairchild Farms uses geese, haha. Apparently they work even better than dogs.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »

I sort of disagree ...  I think a sign can help deter the more casual fruit stealer.  If a potential thief  knows that you care enough about the fruit to post a sign, he may pass not wanting to take the risk of dealing with an angry homeowner.

I do a combination of preventatives. 

#1 ( most important) I have a fence around my entire property.  If anyone has the balls to jump my fence to get a fruit, he/she has already passed the "casual" category.  They have become a trespasser/intruder with no excuse.
#2 I have signs: Bad Dog, and you are being video taped signs.
#3 I have a couple of pretty big dogs. 
#4 I have a video camera system.

If that's not enough, I "round" my property at least twice a day, making a visual check on my fruit trees.  Vigilance pays IMO. 

Another thing I do is have a talk with the folks that do my landscaping and take care of my pool.  I tell them how much I love my fruit trees, how it is my hobby, and how I do not want them EVER to take any fruit.  I also add, that if they would like something, just ask, and I would love to give them some fruit of MY choice.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Maybe try a sign that says " Watered with reclaimed sewer water not for human consumption".

Ed

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »

I sort of disagree ...  I think a sign can help deter the more casual fruit stealer.  If a potential thief  knows that you care enough about the fruit to post a sign, he may pass not wanting to take the risk of dealing with an angry homeowner.

I just bought a  few "no trespassing" and "private property" signs. I will remove them after mango season. I agree that signs will deter some people. What helps is I have policemen for neighbors and their cars are often parked outside. Plus my two bordering streets are such that it is very difficult to pull up in your car, leave it there and raid my trees. Then I have other trees far away from the street and theft

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
Maybe its time for the "stand your mango law" we should petition the Govenor and the NRA ,what the heck if they can sell a few more guns i am sure they would be all for it!! lol , nothing deters like a god ole 12 gauge!!lock and load!!!!

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
Good sign:  Rattlesnake Research Center. Please stay on path for your safety. FL57-306(e)
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »
I figured out a good sign:  "FRUIT THEFT IS A CRIME.  Fruit is not worth having your car confiscated."  Copyright Legal Outpost, LLC 2012
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
The problem for me is LYCHEE season, can't get any sleep then. (that's why I'm so sleepy)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:25 PM »
The problem for me is LYCHEE season, can't get any sleep then. (that's why I'm so sleepy)

I've heard that during lychee season in China the farmers move into temporary huts inside their lychee orchards. The workers hired to pick the crop are forced to sing the whole time they pick the crop, that way the farmer can be assured the pickers are not eating the lychees.  ::)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk