Author Topic: Top 5 annonas--atemoya, sugar apples, etc  (Read 11255 times)

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 annonas--atemoya, sugar apples, etc
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
Perhaps Cherimoyas were underwhelming in Australia for reasons pertaining to climate? I simply can't comprehend how anyone could rate an Atemoya above a Cherimoya. There seems to be very few places in the world that have the climate to grow Cherimoyas well, while Atemoya is far more adaptable. That's the only explanation I can fathom.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
I just purchase a knight, pierce, and el bumpo.  Are the pierce and knight the same?

Knight and pierce are the same according to JF.  Did you get all three at the same time?  Where did you get them and what other types did theh have?  I have one more place for a cherimoya.  Just waiting to find the right one.
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
I think the I listed are not the best ones and would have been trialled in suitable climates in south Australia, Victoria and NSW as cooler climate alternatives to atemoya. Maybe they were too seedy or soft for the export market to Asia where PP, mammoth and Hillary white have it sewn up.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
I just purchase a knight, pierce, and el bumpo.  Are the pierce and knight the same?

Knight and pierce are the same according to JF.  Did you get all three at the same time?  Where did you get them and what other types did theh have?  I have one more place for a cherimoya.  Just waiting to find the right one.
I am going to return the pierce since it is the same as the knight.  Stupid Lavigne and Walter Anderson said they are diff and I told them they are the same.  :/   I got all three at Walter Anderson in pointloma.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »
Please list your top 5 annonas...

So far just Rob and Mike answered the question of this topic  ;D, and I think it would be very interesting to know the top 5 (7, 10...) for all of you!  :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:06:45 PM by Jose Spain »

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »

So far just Rob and Mike answered the question of this topic  ;D, and I think it would be very interesting to know the top 5 (7, 10...) for all of you!  :D

This maybe a a helpful reference.  you can also look at the top varieties from past years.  keep in mind they dont have all of the varieties.  also some varieties ripe sooner then others.  therefore the taste may not reflect their peak flavors at this event. 

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=14817

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
I have a hybrid from Steve at Bonita creek nursery, cherimoya x atemoya. Couldn't remember the name but a friend of his helped develop it. It's either what they're calling a Satin or Coochie island.
I think you may be talking about Sweet Satin variety from Bonita Creek?  David has mentioned that it is one of the best varieties he has.  I picked up one last month and hope to try it out in the next year or two.
Bob

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:31 PM »

Walter Anderson said next year they will have atemoya.  Right now they have knight and honey heart.  I took the last bumpo.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
Check to see if anyone is having success with fruiting Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) in your area [I don't know if it can take Santa Ana winds.].  That is the only Annonaceae family fruit which I like even better than cherimoya.

I have heard very good things about Annona vepretorum, from southern Brazil, which might do well in your area.  Southern Brazil also has several very tasty, but very seedy, Rollinia species, which also might do well in your area.

Annona crassiflora, from the dryish central Brazilian plateau, is also amazingly delicious, and possibly tough enough for southern California.  It has a serious lack of adaptability to soils outside of its native area--- may need extreme acidity?  Mycorrhizae?
Har

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »
Has the Cumbe cherimoya been trialed in Florida?
John

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »
Not only can cherimoyas compete with atemoyas they crush them. We've had extensive tasting with all of the varieties mike has mention except maroochy  gold and the atemoyas sit far in the back of the bus. I don't know what's happening in Australia with cherimoyas but here in California even the Asian communities, which are in general devotees of chewy atemoyas, are coming around to recognize the superiority of the cherimoya

Sorry, Frank, you're referring to only "young" people who either grew up here or who were not into fruits before and therefore have never really paid any attention to such fruits. This group is most likely to adopt cherimoyas and Florida mangos and it's a group that is growing, obviously. There are random exceptions to this with a few people here and there, of course.
Thera

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »
Not only can cherimoyas compete with atemoyas they crush them. We've had extensive tasting with all of the varieties mike has mention except maroochy  gold and the atemoyas sit far in the back of the bus. I don't know what's happening in Australia with cherimoyas but here in California even the Asian communities, which are in general devotees of chewy atemoyas, are coming around to recognize the superiority of the cherimoya

Sorry, Frank, you're referring to only "young" people who either grew up here or who were not into fruits before and therefore have never really paid any attention to such fruits. This group is most likely to adopt cherimoyas and Florida mangos and it's a group that is growing, obviously. There are random exceptions to this with a few people here and there, of course.

Hi Thera
this is not only my gut feeling but the owner of PHO has expressed this to me.....he sells his chicos and moyas directly to Asian markets

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 04:56:29 AM »

This maybe a a helpful reference.  you can also look at the top varieties from past years.  keep in mind they dont have all of the varieties.  also some varieties ripe sooner then others.  therefore the taste may not reflect their peak flavors at this event. 

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=14817

Thank you Wayne, very interesting link! Here where I live there are huge plantations of Fino de Jete, so far Fino is the only variety that I've tasted (that I know), so I don't know how good and how different are the other varieties.