Author Topic: Transplanting a sugar apple  (Read 5096 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Transplanting a sugar apple
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
I would like to move a sugar apple and I'm wondering if I should. It's about 8' tall, and the trunk is around 2" in diameter and has been in the ground ~2 years.

My Geffner seems to be happy near it but I think a sunnier location will be better for it? Also I can fill a hole I have if I move it. I don't want to kill it, it's a cool tree and VERY dark green but the place I move it to will have another sugar apple nearby maybe helping pollination?

So, the questions I have are:

What is the likelihood it will die.
Will breaking the tap root make it less wind resistant or lack of water tolerant? I suspect yes on both accounts
Is a simple shovel around it to break the surface roots and wait a couple of weeks  to dig it out a sound method?

Does anyone have any other advice?

Regards,

Gary

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Re: Transplanting a sugar apple
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:19:48 AM »
How much more sun does this new spot get? It doesn't seem worth the transplant shock/risk of death to me.

If it's putting out flowers but not a lot of fruit is setting you should try this http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10918.msg140063
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:31:16 AM by Das Bhut »

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:23 AM »
Gary, I found this about transplanting grown Cherimoyas. Don't know if it applies to other annonas or not.
It is to be mentioned that the cherimoya is extremely easy to transplant. Trees
six or eight years old with trunks four inches or even more in diameter are often moved
without difficulty and this seems even more remarkable when one remembers that no
care is taken in digging trees for transplanting. Very rarely are the tops cut back to
reduce transpiration.
The passage is under the Cultural Conditions and Practices part. Here is the whole article.
http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_44_1960/CAS_1960_PG_47-53.pdf

BTW, I just want to let you know that the soursop seeds you gave me are all sprouting. Thank you so much.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Trim hard to 5 ft taking most foliage and thin branches and wait a week.Spade around moist soil perimeter about 14 inches out from the trunk to 12 inches depth.Water profusely.Loosen soil every few days and make the move in a week with good soil load around roots.Busted taproot is alright and it will partly reestablish.Shade heavily in new spot while convalescing and gradually increase sun and water well.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
Das Bhut,

It will get quite a bit of western sun.

NCH,

I had hoped that would be the case. I'm glad the seeds are sprouting. Funny I went to a Home Depot (west Boca Raton Fla.) yesterday and for the first time ever I saw soursop seedlings for sale.

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed directions. I won't be able to shade it after 12:00 unless I throw some cloth over it?
Regards,

Gary

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Shadecloth is really needed at the start in a new sunnier spot until the tree is hardened.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
Leave that plant were it is and plant another one . A red one or a sour sop. You can never have to many annona.
Mike

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
Leave that plant were it is and plant another one . A red one or a sour sop. You can never have to many annona.

No Can Do!!! I already followed Mike's sage advice and trimmed the rootball and bought some burlap to shade it with. I'm also wondering should I wrap the rootball in burlap and plant it that way to keep the rootball from falling apart?

Oh, I don't really like soursop though if I could find a red one I might do that also! :-)
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
Well, I went ahead and moved it today. I decided to wrap the rootball in burlap to keep the sandy soil from crumbling away while I lifted it. Luckily HD had a big roll of burlap for a bit over $10. After digging around it, trimming the roots and wrapping / tying it up it was EASY to move and re-plant. I hope it does well in its new location. The burlap also came in handy as a shade cloth wrapped and stapled over the canopy.

Thanks for the advice, now I wait and hope it does well.

Regards,

Gary

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
gnappi it all looks good and you would have seen roots were shallower and closer to the trunk than expected and no single deep tap root was there to snap off.The hard part now is not overwatering or uinderwatering and getting that shading right.You don't want direct sun yet but enclosing the crown can cause other problems if too liitle light or air flow get through. A sail or tent above on 3 or 4 poles is what I have done before.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
Hard to see in the pic but did you leave the burlap on around the roots?  if so, it might be stopping the soil from filling the air pockets around the roots properly.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »
Yes it should not be planted with the wrapping.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
Nope I threw the burlap on top of the root ball to hold in moisture. Fingers crossed that it makes it.

Oh the burlap I used as a sunscreen lets more light and air pass than shade cloth so I tied it rather than tent it
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:34:04 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
Well it's been nearly 6 days since I moved it and so far it hasn't lost a single leaf, nor have any leaves wilted, yellowed or turned brown!

The combination of root pruning, pre-move care, canopy thinning,  root ball soil retention, and shading in addition to the natural resiliency
of the sugar apple quoted by NCH seems to have worked!

I'm thinking another week under the manufactured shade, then another week gradually cutting it to make more light get in will be sufficient?
What do you guys think?

Regards,

Gary

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
I'd say if you haven't lost a leaf in a week, you probably did a good job.  You may have stunted it, but I'd say that you have made it over a big hurdle.  Time tells all.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:56 AM »
So Cool!!!

Today I took the time to look over my transplanted tree and it's pushing out new growth everywhere I cut it back! Now the wait for fruit begins.
Regards,

Gary

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:15:01 AM »
Congrats on your successful move.  A good how to...  Thanks

Jchin

• SoFl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
Hello, all. New member to the forum. Great information, great community. Thank you for this post. I may have to move soon and am dreading leaving my trees behind, many of them grown from seed. This gives me hope that my sugar Apple at least may be portable

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
Congrats, Gary, and thanks for the update.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 06:59:52 AM »
Congrats, Gary, and thanks for the update.

How are the soursop seedlings coming? If possible start a thread and post some pics. I bought a soursop, a rather large one for a home depot to have and it's living and thriving in a pot
Regards,

Gary

solow

• US, FL, Merritt Island, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »
I transplant a 3 years old sugar apple plant yesterday from other home. We trimmed it, put it inside my car.
Due to its weight during moving/handling, all of its soft roots came off, only hard roots remained.
Now still no leaf wilted, we will see how in these coming few days.
If it still can grow well, that means this plant is very insensitive to transplant, easy to move around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk