Author Topic: Maha Chanok Mango Origin  (Read 33198 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of the name "Maha Chanok"
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »
Always curious about the Maha Chanok tree in my yard... I asked my Thai friend & culinary expert, Ms. Ngamthip, about it. She had not tried the mango but was able to give some insight about its name.  She said:

"Maha-chanok is a name of one of the incarnations of the Buddha. In Thai mythology, Buddha had 10 lives before he became the Buddha. Maha-chanok was the name of his tenth life. Thais love to give names with a great meaning. Maha means 'greatest' and chanok means 'father.' So both words together mean Greatest Father. Thais respect the king of Thailand as the Greatest Father so Mahachanok alludes to the king."

:)

Wierd how the Thia took the Buddhist teachings...turned it into a blended religion infused with incarnation, when buddism is bases soley around nirvana.

That explanation is about the same as my wife told me when i asked her about the name "mahachanok"

Clay the Thai have their own version of budhism.  I still don't understand how that works. When i drive around on the motorbike i get almost killed about every 5 minutes. When a straydog sleeps on the middle of a busy road (with his legs stretched out) they will all avoid it and many hours later it is still sleeping there. ;D

But many asian mango's have names that refer to very high persons like emperors, maharadja's, brahmans, kings.
I can only say that mahachanok is not a new a new mango from Florida and that it is a nice mango but ndm is better. Mahachanok reminds me of carrots. I am on the lookout for them because mangoseason is starting here, guess soon i will find them again and i sure will buy some. They don't have much color here unfortunately, maybe a pink blush but i have seen very colorfull ones on the web. I grafted some branches onto my tree at the sunnyside but they didn't bloom so far but that can happen any day from now (i hope). The branches became very long though, much longer then ndm-branches, so i pruned some of them back and they sprouted a lot which i like.

The beliefs are very interesting nonetheless  Bangkok... I visited several Buddhist temples in Phukett.... Incredible spritual places..... I love the study of religions, even though I'm not religious... Buddhism is by far  probably the most entriguing with the most peaceful teachings society could actually benefit from with a true sense of ethics and moral reasoning. unlike Christianity or Islam for example which teach/promote rape, murder, genocide, slavery, incest, polygamy, etc.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Jum

• THAILAND
    • View Profile
    • Fresh Fruits from Thailand
Re: Maha Chanok Mango Origin
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
I am Thai being born in Bangkok, also exporting Maha Chanok mango.

I think.....Maha Chanok is Thai name originated from Thailand.

Here is the link for more The Story of Maha Chanok. Hope this help.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/perseverance-in-his-majesty-the-king-s-the-story-of-mahajanaka-44147

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
I am Thai being born in Bangkok, also exporting Maha Chanok mango.

I think.....Maha Chanok is Thai name originated from Thailand.

Here is the link for more The Story of Maha Chanok. Hope this help.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/perseverance-in-his-majesty-the-king-s-the-story-of-mahajanaka-44147

Thanks for posting, but in reading the article, I don't see how it helps explain the origin of the Mahachanok mango.  Please explain.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:04 PM »
Harry, how is the maha seedling project progressing?  Any updates?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
Harry, how is the maha seedling project progressing?  Any updates?

Not a great year for this project. The tree that I call NE for northeast, the fruit of which is my forum avatar, flowered and fruited nicely. Its carrying a decent sized crop. The NW or northwestern tree flowered lightly but set only a fruit or two.  The S , or southern tree flowered and didn't set any fruit at all as far as I can see.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
So if the Maha Chanok is descended from the variety called 'sunset', how did it end up in Thailand? Does this mean that it's a relatively new variety, considering the fact that sunset is estimated to be a cross involving Haden as one of the parents?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
So if the Maha Chanok is descended from the variety called 'sunset', how did it end up in Thailand?

Presumably the same way Thai mangos end up here ;)

The person whose property Maha Chanok originated on in Thailand had a number of Florida cultivars in his collection.

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
So if the Maha Chanok is descended from the variety called 'sunset', how did it end up in Thailand?

Presumably the same way Thai mangos end up here ;)

The person whose property Maha Chanok originated on in Thailand had a number of Florida cultivars in his collection.

That makes a lot of sense then!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk