Author Topic: Avocado varieties  (Read 4036 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Avocado varieties
« on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
Any input on these types?  The walter anderson nursery in poway has these new trees.  I snagged a sharwil.  Anyone growing any of the others?  Any worth getting?

Queen,
Sharwil,
Nimlioh,
Daily 11,
Hellen
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
More information than you wanted to know:

http://www.avocadosource.com/AvocadoVarieties/QueryDB.asp

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
Nimlioh seems like it might be worth growing.  Does anyone have a nimlioh tree?
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I have a queen, sharwil (among others) and just got a Hellen and kahalu'u. 

Haven't tasted fruit yet but they grow well. Shareholders seems a little straggly and not for container growing long term from what I can tell. Queen seems to be a slow grower.

I have heard that daily 11 fruit quality is medium at best. More of a curiosity.

I have heard good things about nimlioh but that queen and sharwil are higher quality.

-K

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Sharwil is the most commonly sold commercial type here. Kahaluu has better rating, but is not sold commercially. Don't know how they will do in California. They have been selected for tropics.
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
Some of the varieties can be found here.
http://www.epicenteravocados.com/varieties/img_5637_2/

Simon

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
That's where I got my sharwil and queen from!

Kahalu'u I got recently from the CRFG meeting a couple of weeks ago. We'll see how it does. It does seem to push leaves a little slower than some of the other varieties but I hope that is because it's small and didn't like being transported around.

-K

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:52 PM »

Simon
I need a jan boyce and green gold.  :)  the addiction is real. 
Brad Spaugh

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
Check with Atkins nursery in fallbrook . They carry some of these varieties that your asking about. I was there a few weeks ago and got a queen and daily 11 .

William

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
Of those mentioned that I have growing, my favorite is the Hellen (2 L's).  It is a sizable fruit, great taste, and a productive tree.  Sharwil is a summer fruit with a wide-growing tree, also good.  Our growing area (central coast of CA, cool summers, fog) and personal tastes will most assuredly mean others will have different experiences. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
They have the Ardith variety at my local nursery now too.  Anyone growing Ardith?  Worth growing?  I read its a commercial Israeli variety.  Developed in CA?  Sounds like an interesting on to grow. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
They have the Ardith variety at my local nursery now too.  Anyone growing Ardith?  Worth growing?  I read its a commercial Israeli variety.  Developed in CA?  Sounds like an interesting on to grow.

Have two grafts of Ardith on my Frankencado, also Holiday, Pinkerton and Sir Prize.  Ardith and Sir Prize are the most vigorous, Pinkerton the least.

Yes, Ardith was developed by U.C.R., patented and rights given to Israel where it's commercial fruit.  According to Frank Pardo, it is excellent in all regards.

Here's a great ditty on those you mentioned, see them first hand.  Julie F. and Tom S. present.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpH5Kpzxy8

Sharwil's a good choice. Very small seed, high meat ratio.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:45:19 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Hi Mark, have you eaten any of your ardith yet or its still young?  I have a baby sharwil installed.   Really thinking Ardith and jan boyce are missing from my collection.  Thanks for the video.  I have seen that in the past.  Julie and Dave both have some great videos and info.  Most of my stone fruit trees are from Dave Wilson nursery. 

Hope all is well in TX.  We are experiencing "May gray" and soon to be "June gloom" here.  Fog/cloud cover.  Trees were flushing well but have slowed a bit with the cooler weather.

Brad Spaugh
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Hi Mark, have you eaten any of your ardith yet or its still young?  I have a baby sharwil installed.   Really thinking Ardith and jan boyce are missing from my collection.  Thanks for the video.  I have seen that in the past.  Julie and Dave both have some great videos and info.  Most of my stone fruit trees are from Dave Wilson nursery. 

Hope all is well in TX.  We are experiencing "May gray" and soon to be "June gloom" here.  Fog/cloud cover.  Trees were flushing well but have slowed a bit with the cooler weather.

Brad Spaugh

Not yet as it was grafted last spring.  It's holding some nice fruit.

Doing well, vineyard is a a jungle and out of control and I train very carefully.  How I'm gonna net this year is a mystery.

I'll take your gloom here over our May drought.  Us gardeners are never satisfied.  Woke up to face another day in paradise so that's OK.  Need to count our blessings.

Enjoy the fruit of your labors!  We've been eating some incredible Reeds and greenhouse tomatoes.  What a treat!