Author Topic: LM3 vs Lisa atemoya  (Read 4531 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
LM3 vs Lisa atemoya
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »
both of these have a bit of chewyness and atemoya texture but the flavor on the LM3 is quite a bit better than Lisa IMO.  seed count was lower on the lisa.    Brix was quite a bit higher and flavor more dense on thr LM3.  LM3 has a berry or perfume floral type flavor.  Some LM3 fruit also cracked on the tree which was a disappointment.  It may have been the watering and weather we had, not sure.  I still prefer cherimoyas but this LM3 is pretty good.  I not a fan of AP or Lisa.  I won't be growing any of those anymore. 

LM3

Lisa

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:43:43 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: LM3 vs Lisa atemoya
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »
Lisa is definitely not a "chewy" atemoya.  Just the opposite...
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »
i dont know rob maybe its the aftertaste that reminds me of rubber.  These definitely have more texture than a cherimoya and the lisa has that same aftertaste as AP that reminds me of eating rubber.  I only had the one lisa fruit and it was several days prior to eating the LM3 but it was not anywhere bear as good in the taste department.  I think I rather just grow straight cherimoyas. 
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
Lisa would be perfect if the skin peels easily.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:56 AM »
I have never promoted the growing of atemoyas where cherimoyas produce high-quality and abundant fruits, unless, perhaps, there is a difference of harvest season. 

Atemoyas are for where the climate causes cherimoyas to be a disappointment.
Har

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »
Seanny if you like lisa I think you will really like the LM3.  The flavor is very nice.  It still has the same issue with having a bit of waste on the peel.  It would probably be a hit in FL if it will fruit there too.

Har, the atemoyas do ripen after cherimoyas here in my limited experience.  So there is that, plus people keep telling me some folks prefer atemoya and I shojld grow them to target that market.  I got the pink mamoth, lisa, tropic sun growing but have only tried the lisa so far. 

Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
Lisa would be perfect if the skin peels easily.

That is how Lisa is.  Its a softer, sugar apple type of atemoya.  When perfectly ripe, it can even be juicy.
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »
I agree with Rob. Lisa has to be soft before you eat it--nothing at all like cherimoya texture. I have tried to eat them firm and they were not good.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 10:29:40 PM »
That being said, LM3 sounds great!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 11:16:08 PM »
How do you guys rate pink mamoth and tropic sun compared to Lisa? 

I have a lot of different varieties of atemoya and cherimoya multigrafted onto a few cherimoya trees and have not yet tried them all.  But will need to top work a couple dozen in ground rootstocks this spring and need to decide which ones to use.  Unfortunately I need to do this before trying all the different types I've acquired and have available.
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:13:50 AM »
On a year with warm summer, like last year, they all taste good enough.
I can’t pick any over another except for mediocre yet pretty 47-18, over taste.
The bigger one wins.

For me I like fully ripen fruit that break down into clumps, like Lisa.
I’m waiting on a second try to see if Tropic Sun having good texture like Lisa.

My only PM looks hideous so it’s getting a low mark.

On a year with cool summer most are bad.
AP win since they survive winter better.
My friend gave me a couple of tree ripen AP last June.
They were as good as any.

I’ve had fruits with hard seed coat like your AP and rubbery like your Lisa, from other varieties.
Not sure if they were due to over loading or under watering or picking immature fruits.
I’m making adjustments for all 3.

You wait on your multi-graft trees to try all.
In the meantime you train your seedlings for many branching.
Do a graft on each branches when you picked your choice.
It’s easy for you.

If tree ripen LM3 has texture like tree ripen Lisa I’m in.
I couldn’t find any scions for a friend last year.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »

I have a lot of different varieties of atemoya and cherimoya multigrafted onto a few cherimoya trees and have not yet tried them all.  But will need to top work a couple dozen in ground rootstocks this spring and need to decide which ones to use.  Unfortunately I need to do this before trying all the different types I've acquired and have available.

Unfortunately, I have not tasted either Pink's Mamoth or Tropic Sun. I have only tried Geffner, Lisa, Tim, and a single Dream fruit from a young tree this year. I actually liked Geffner the most for taste and texture, but Lisa and Dream were also very good. Geffner is very sweet and has a nice (Cherimoya like?) texture but lots of seeds. Lisa is a little less sweet, but has a very unique bouquet. Dream has more acid balance than the others, but the texture on the one fruit I have eaten was a little softer (like Lisa). In an unofficial taste test I did at work between a fully ripe Gefner and Lisa, Geffner came out on top for most people.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 04:32:47 AM »

I can’t compare to Lisa or Tropic sun but the Pinks Mammoth line is fantastic and I rate them well above Gefner and AP as points of reference.

PM is ugly as Sean said (worse with poor pollination I think) so consider that if you care.

On page 48 or the ag guide you will see ratings given for flavour, texture etc. of various cultivars grown commercially here.
http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1653/5/4keycus.pdf
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:59:13 AM by Ulfr »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »

I can’t compare to Lisa or Tropic sun but the Pinks Mammoth line is fantastic and I rate them well above Gefner and AP as points of reference.

PM is ugly as Sean said (worse with poor pollination I think) so consider that if you care.

On page 48 or the ag guide you will see ratings given for flavour, texture etc. of various cultivars grown commercially here.
The information linked to is more than 20 years old and doesn't cover newer varieties.  I wonder how they stack up against these industry standards of 1998 and what percentage of the commercial crop is now devoted to each variety.  Is Tropic Sun mostly a home gardener's variety?
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
i ate a larger LM3 yesterday that was really tasty.  extra sweet and excellent flavor.  people should really try and grow this in florida, I think you will like this over other atemoyas.  it did have a lot of seeds though, it gets dinged for that, but thats pretty typical. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 12:20:18 PM »
i ate a larger LM3 yesterday that was really tasty.  extra sweet and excellent flavor.  people should really try and grow this in florida, I think you will like this over other atemoyas.  it did have a lot of seeds though, it gets dinged for that, but thats pretty typical.
I hope someone around here is giving it a shot or intends to!
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 12:48:48 PM »
As to LM3, reviews from our moya growing friend in the Escondido area is its really seedy and what he sampled was nothing beyond average.
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 03:10:27 PM »
It does have a lot of seed no doubt.  The flavor is definitely above average.  It has a really unique flavor that I have not picked up in any other cherimoyas.  Its got a bit of berry/floral aftertaste. The brix was really high on the one we sampled yesterday also.  I could see it maybe not being anything special over a straight cherimoya but for places cherimoya wont grow I think you guys would appreciate the flavor of this annona. 

If you want to try one I can send one Rob. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:14:16 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
Hey, send me one, Brad, and I promise to pontificate about it!
John

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »
The information linked to is more than 20 years old and doesn't cover newer varieties.  I wonder how they stack up against these industry standards of 1998 and what percentage of the commercial crop is now devoted to each variety.  Is Tropic Sun mostly a home gardener's variety?

I was answering Brad about Pinks Mammoth and as Gefner and AP are both listed and a point of reference I thought it worth sharing. Tropic sun is supposed to be good but killed mine before fruit :( it was developed for commercial production I believe but don’t know if it ended up being productive enough, it’s pretty low vigour. there are some others coming that are meant to be good to but yet to see them on the shelves.

Bit more info here that’s interesting but more about where they came from/how they were bred rather than flavour.
https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/cu11000/cu11000-final-report-complete-2.pdf
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:33:03 PM by Ulfr »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
Thanks Ulfr, I am reading the documents you posted now.
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »
It does have a lot of seed no doubt.  The flavor is definitely above average.  It has a really unique flavor that I have not picked up in any other cherimoyas.  Its got a bit of berry/floral aftertaste. The brix was really high on the one we sampled yesterday also.  I could see it maybe not being anything special over a straight cherimoya but for places cherimoya wont grow I think you guys would appreciate the flavor of this annona. 

If you want to try one I can send one Rob.

From what you have said LM3 sounds very good. Moderately high seed count isn't all bad. It usually means that the fruit will be more symmetrical without hand pollination. One of the reasons I like Geffner is that even though it has a high seed count it is easier to remove the seeds because the fruit is firmer and can be sliced without mushing it. If LM3 has a higher seed count, but the seeds are easy to remove, I would still probably be happy with it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:55:27 PM by Galatians522 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:57 PM »
Eating quality of Gefner is poor.
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 10:09:46 PM »

I am very happy with Gefner and as a said a few posts earlier a number of people that I work with favored it over Lisa in an unofficial taste test. However, I would be very interested to hear what atemoyas you rate as the best.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »

I am very happy with Gefner and as a said a few posts earlier a number of people that I work with favored it over Lisa in an unofficial taste test. However, I would be very interested to hear what atemoyas you rate as the best.

That may be an issue.  I am not a huge fans of the "Florida" atemoyas.  If I had to pick a favorite,  it would probably be Phet Pakchong.  I much prefer Cherimoya and Ilama.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk