Author Topic: Avocado Varieties of Southern California  (Read 11010 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Avocado Varieties of Southern California
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:09 AM »
pics of different varieties by month

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Avocado Varieties of Southern California
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
What is the source of that photo?
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
pics of different varieties by month

Eventually I will have a plot of land big enough to plant out all those varieties :P. Fresh avocados all year round :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
What is the source of that photo?
Oscar

SCREC
Avocado Germplasm collection
Julie Fink avocado curator at the Irvine field station.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
Eventually I will have a plot of land big enough to plant out all those varieties :P. Fresh avocados all year round :).

Nullzy

A lot of those avocados overlap. I have pinkerton, Hass and Shawill these will cover the entire year. I also have two later ones Holiday and Reed  because of their superior quality.

JF
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:26:00 PM by murahilin »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »

Nullzy

A lot of those avocados overlap. I have pinkerton, Hass and Shawill these will cover the entire year. I also have two later ones Holiday and Reed  because of their superior quality.

JF

Do they all have the high oil content of the Hass?  How do they compare in flavor?  CA avocados are generally considered superior to FL avocados due to their higher oil content and richer, nuttier flavor. but the best FL varieties taste great to me. :)
John

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
I have not tasted all of them. but they are very close or better than hass. The two that really stand out are the reed and sharwil lthey are creamier and more buttery than hass....heck, a good fuerte could easily beat a catalina avocado. Overall, I agree with you. California avocados are superior. I would never dare make guacamole with a Florida avocado8)

JF

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »

Nullzy

JF

Do they all have the high oil content of the Hass?  How do they compare in flavor?  CA avocados are generally considered superior to FL avocados due to their higher oil content and richer, nuttier flavor. but the best FL varieties taste great to me. :)

A lot like mangoes, depends on who you ask and what their background is. A lot of people from latin American/Carribbean countries strongly prefer the 'Florida' types.

Me personally....I like them all. My favorite avocado is Lula, which is likely a hybrid between Guatamalan and Mexican types.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »

Nullzy

JF

I heard about sharwil and some others being very good at holding fruit on the tree. Currently have a Bacon and a Hass in ground, I am about to harvest the fruit in a few weeks.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

Nullzy

JF

I heard about sharwil and some others being very good at holding fruit on the tree. Currently have a Bacon and a Hass in ground, I am about to harvest the fruit in a few weeks.

Null, what is your opinion of the Bacon?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:22 PM »
Of course Squam

I'm just messing with John. For example, my wife made congri and boliche this evening. The only thing missing is a Catalina avocado from Florida. I grew up eating  beans, rice and plantain with slices of Florida avocados in Miami, how could I not love them! Squam, Lula is a great Texas avocado for guacamole but where are you going to find the cilantro and the jalapenhos to prepare it??? ;D

JF

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
Of course Squam

I'm just messing with John. For example, my wife made congri and boliche this evening. The only thing missing is a Catalina avocado from Florida. I grew up eating  beans, rice and plantain with slices of Florida avocados in Miami, how could I not love them! Squam, Lula is a great Texas avocado for guacamole but where are you going to find the cilantro and the jalapenhos to prepare it??? ;D

JF

Hopefully in my vegetable beds someday.... pperhaps I'll use something a little hotter than jalalepenos though ;)

What do you mean Texas avocado, Lula came from Florida!  :D

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »

Nullzy

JF

Yes, Sharwill is an amazing avocado but so is the Nimlioh, JanBoyce and many others. Did anyone notice the Mexicola inside the Daily 11 in July?? Nullzy, you should come to the green scene this year Julie Fink's and the rest of the orange county CRFG gang will have all of these varieties and much more for sale,

JF

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »
Of course Squam

JF

Hopefully in my vegetable beds someday.... pperhaps I'll use something a little hotter than jalalepenos though ;)

What do you mean Texas avocado, Lula came from Florida!  :D
you are right! but the longhorn state made them famous ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »

Nullzy

JF

Yes, Sharwill is an amazing avocado but so is the Nimlioh, JanBoyce and many others. Did anyone notice the Mexicola inside the Daily 11 in July?? Nullzy, you should come to the green scene this year Julie Fink's and the rest of the orange county CRFG gang will have all of these varieties and much more for sale,

JF

I am already set to come this year, looking forward to it. We should meet up possibly, I may bring some herb/vegetable plants to give out. Went last year, I believe it was Julie that told me growing an avocado in a container was a waste of time :(. Unfortunately don't have a permanent residence where I would like to plant in ground trees. I may get a Sharwill and grow it out in a 20 gal for a while. I am more interested in tasty low seed count guavas, maybe another lucuma tree. Something hard to find and a worthy pick for a container grown fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »

JF

Sharwil is an Australian avocado, but is the most commonly sold avocado in Hawaii, sort of like Hass in California. It's a good avocado, does hold long time on the tree, but certainly not in the top 5 avocados of Hawaii. (Hass wouldn't make it to the top 25.) The top 3 rated avocados for taste here by a panel of chefs were:1) Kahalu'u, 2) Malama, 3) Linda. You folks in Florida should try planting some of these!
Bacon is one of my favorite California avocados. Reed and Pinkerton are also very good old varieties. Have a mexicola and it is not a high oil avocado.
Oscar
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »
Nullzy, you should come to the green scene this year Julie Fink's and the rest of the orange county CRFG gang will have all of these varieties and much more for sale,

JF

I plan to be there too.

-Ethan

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
Yeah, wonder how the Hawaiian avocados would do in Florida! ???  Are any of them smaller trees?  (Come to find out from the old forum that Lindas are no longer grown in FL due to internal browning in storage.)  I would imagine that Richard Campbell and Fairchild has them all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:28:50 AM by johnb51 »
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
Yeah, wonder how the Hawaiian avocados would do in Florida! ???  Are any of them smaller trees?  (Come to find out from the old forum that Lindas are no longer grown in FL due to internal browning in storage.)  I would imagine that Richard Campbell and Fairchild has them all.

Don't think Fairchild has the Hawaiian avocados, but you can ask them. I think they would do fine in Florida, just like the Florida mangos do fine..
Oscar
Oscar