Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 212664 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #475 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
Avocado trees in Portugal even in north country:  http://abacateportugal.blogspot.pt/

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
"Avocados in Corroios, Portugal. These beautiful are a tree that has not been grafted. They get caught with some green and at home to get ready to eat take the dark brown color. Vegetable butter!"

Luisport, those vegetable butter seedling avocados look delicious. I hope that they are being propagated so that they don't go extinct. Have you tried them?
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »
"Avocados in Corroios, Portugal. These beautiful are a tree that has not been grafted. They get caught with some green and at home to get ready to eat take the dark brown color. Vegetable butter!"

Luisport, those vegetable butter seedling avocados look delicious. I hope that they are being propagated so that they don't go extinct. Have you tried them?
No, this blog is from joaovox  that introduce himself yesterday. Maby he get or can get some fruits...  ;)

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »
Look forward to further reports on this butter avocado variety. I sure wish it were here in Florida to check it out, who knows, maybe it's already here in the USA.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 26, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »
In this 2013 updated, University of Florida article, it indirectly highlights the fact that the month of the year, April, is the one month when no avocados are to be found:

"...Season: late May to March."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg373

Avocado 24/7 Cocktail Tree Update:

I've moved the 'Lula' avocado tree from the hellish location where it was surrounded by 'Mysore' banana trees, to a prime location in the yard. After it has established itself and grown a bit, I'm planning to graft onto it several avocado cultivar grafts from the Avocado 24/7 List on this Thread.

I've become quite fond of the 'Lula' avocado. It's a productive cultivar that will hold fruit for an extended period during the winter months. During those winter months, the fruit becomes somewhat brownish and hard on the outside. But, during this time, when the fruit is removed from the tree and brought inside at room temperature, after approximately a couple of days, the fruit softens to the touch. The flesh is none the worse in comparison to the exterior appearance of the fruit. The flesh is quite pristine and ready to be eaten and enjoyed; at least this has been my experience.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:55:30 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »
Carlos, thank you for deciding to propagate my friend's 'Salavarria' ('Salavar') avocado seedling. As we all witnessed, it still had some avocado fruit hanging on the tree. So, it seems that it will produce fruit every year, even though the crop quantity seems to be a bit less than last year. Perhaps this variety will alternate with a heavier crop from one year to the next. Also, this may have to do with the fact that my friend Salavariia only fertilizes the tree with poop from his dogs, whom you met. With proper yearly fertilization, the avocado fruit production could be increased substantially.

This is the second year in a row that my friend's 'Salavarria' avocado seedling has produced plentiful fruit for 2 years in a row, from the time that the seed was planted 3 years ago! It is indeed a fast grower and a fast producer.

It was a real pleasure to see you do the avocado propagation in person, it was somewhat surreal, since I've seen your educational avocado videos online, on the Internet.
Me and my friend Salavarria were quite impressed with your expertise and professionalism, thanks again. I hope this 'Salavarria' avocado variety is useful to you and ultimately to the general community and beyond.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:49:37 PM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
Leo, granfted 3 trees with the bud wood form the Salavar tree. We'll know in a couple of years may be less. Patience is all it takes. Thanks for your assistance in the operation,
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
2 to 3 years is not too long of a wait to obtain fruit from a tree. This is a very impressive technique that you use to accomplish fruit bearing this quickly. It's like a fast forward acceleration for fruit bearing.

BTW, we are already in February and the month of April is fast approaching. As we all know, in the month of April, there are no ripe avocados to be found anywhere in South Florida, USA; other than the 'Kampong' avocado variety which alternates somewhat. It would really be great if this year a verifiable ripe avocado bearing fruit tree is found during this upcoming month of April.

Mind Storm: What would happen if a 'Lula' avocado (which holds fruit late into March during the winter) is crossed with a 'Kampong?' Has it ever been done? If not, perhaps a 'Lula' X 'Kampong' should be done, if only to find out whether it will consistently be the only new avocado variety that consistently fills the month of April with avocado fruit.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »
It would take more than just a Lula x kampong IMO.  You would need to plant out many of those crosses and evaluate & document them over years.  Totally possible, but who's gonna/can do it?  It's more difficult than it sounds.  Just my 2 cents
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »
I do know I'm too old for breeding avocados.
Now for those with age an patience. USDA have a gene test that can narrow the characteristics of the seedling as soon as the seedling has some size. So in actuality now breeding has been accelerated and you would only plant to term the seedlings that you decide need your criteria.
Just need money, land and time
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 08, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »
I do know I'm too old for breeding avocados.
Now for those with age an patience. USDA have a gene test that can narrow the characteristics of the seedling as soon as the seedling has some size. So in actuality now breeding has been accelerated and you would only plant to term the seedlings that you decide need your criteria.
Just need money, land and time

1 out of 3 ain't bad  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 08, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »
Yeah, that 'ain't' bad. Also, even though it may take a few years to discover a seedling, or develop a new variety (like Carlos mentioned), that bears ripe avocado fruit in the month of April, it certainly is a highly rewarding endeavor once the goal is achieved.

For example, I couldn't help but feel a very good sense of pride for my friend Salavarria (and all involved), when Carlos passed by and propagated his 'Salavar' avocado seedling. It was certainly an experience to cherish and remember.

yudi_nuw

• kandui,central kalimantan ,indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 08, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
We are trying and we will succeed is only a matter of time.
I have manggo mangifera torqueda and casturi, . do you  want it?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »
mangifera are not allowed into USA from other countries
~Jeff

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »

If I may: I'm of the believe that there is always a safe and legal way to get this done; some creativity may be required. You're very kind to offer, thank you.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
Leo, granfted 3 trees with the bud wood form the Salavar tree. We'll know in a couple of years may be less. Patience is all it takes. Thanks for your assistance in the operation,
Leo I have 100% takes we have 3 trees of Salavar growing
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
Carlos, thank you for the update on the progress of the 'Salavar.' And, congrats on the news that the grafts took, I'm sure that your grafting expertise has something to do with it. I hope that under your professional care, we'll get to know more about the productivity behavior of this interesting new seedling/variety. The owner of the 'Salavar' avocado mother tree, told me last week that the tree is currently flowering like crazy. So far, this is the best one of his avocado seedlings.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »
14 Reasons to Eat Avocados Year 'Round

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/lifestyle/2015/05/01/14-things-you-need-to-know-about-avocados/?cid=hero_media

1. Although they’re often referred to as a vegetable, avocados are technically a fruit — they’re a single-seed berry that grows on a tree!

2. There are hundreds of different types of avocados, ranging from the oval-shaped, light-skinned bacon variety to the pear-shaped, thin-skinned zutano variety. Each type differs in shape, size, skin type, taste, and texture.

3. The color of an avocado’s skin isn’t the best way to determine ripeness. Hold the avocado in the palm of your hand and give it a gentle squeeze instead; ripe avocado will be firm, but will yield slightly to gentle pressure.

4. You can ripen avocados by placing them in a plain brown paper bag and storing them at room temperature. Adding an apple or banana to the bag will speed the ripening process.

5. You should wash avocados thoroughly before slicing into them; this helps prevent any germs that may be on the skin from getting on the fruit inside.

NUTRITION

6. Avocados help the body absorb more fat-soluble nutrients from foods that are eaten with them. So eating avocados and tomatoes together, for example, can boost your intake of beta carotene.

7. Avocados are naturally cholesterol-free.

8. “Over 75 percent of the fat in avocados is unsaturated fat,” according to Avocado Central, “and studies show replacing saturated fat with unsaturated fat while staying within calorie needs is more effective in reducing the risk of heart disease than simply lowering total fat intake.”

9. Better than a multi-vitamin? One ounce of avocado (about one fifth of a medium avocado) has nearly 20 different vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.

COOKING WITH AVOCADO

10. Use avocados in place of butter when you’re baking; they’ll help keep baked goods moister for a longer period of time.

11. Cook thick slices of avocado on a grill for a nice, smoky flavor — and some beautiful char marks.

12. Avocados make a healthy alternative to creamy frozen pudding pops. Just mix avocado with lime juice and honey to taste and then blend the avocado mixture into twice as much milk before freezing in Popsicle molds.

HISTORY AND CULTURE

13. Avocados have been around for a long time; the oldest evidence of their consumption dates back to almost 8,000 BCE.

14. Avocados are the Aztec symbol of love and fertility because they cannot self-pollinate. They even grow in pairs!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 04, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
Case in Point

I knew avocados were very nutritious, but this information just came to my attention today and it 'kinda' blew me away:

"Top 40 Cancer-Fighting Foods A-Z"

At number two (2) is the Avocado!

http://www.thetruthaboutcancer.com

Carlos is so right when he says that avocados are the perfect food.

P.S.   Although I've been fortunate not to have or have had cancer, I find this to be quite useful, preventative, information.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:23:25 PM by LEOOEL »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 05, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
Even more reasons for me to eat avocado lol I eat at least one every other day. Can't wait to have my own tree fruiting though. Now if I could just pick one to plant in the front yard. Have it down to Monroe, Catalina and Wurtz.  Gonna grow my oro negro in pots until it gives a few fruit and see how I like it. Worse case scenario it goes to some elses home to plant , best case I have to find a spot for it LOL  Thanks for the info Leooel

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
Case in Point

I knew avocados were very nutritious, but this information just came to my attention today and it 'kinda' blew me away:

P.S.   Although I've been fortunate not to have or have had cancer, I find this to be quite useful, preventative, information.

Just to clarify, that #2 ranking is based on alphabetical order rather than a distinct advantage over other foods on the list.  Still awesome for you, though!
~Jeff

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 05, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »
Case in Point

Just to clarify, that #2 ranking is based on alphabetical order rather than a distinct advantage over other foods on the list.  Still awesome for you, though!

Good point, thanks.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Even more reasons for me to eat avocado lol I eat at least one every other day. Can't wait to have my own tree fruiting though. Now if I could just pick one to plant in the front yard. Have it down to Monroe, Catalina and Wurtz.  Gonna grow my oro negro in pots until it gives a few fruit and see how I like it. Worse case scenario it goes to some elses home to plant , best case I have to find a spot for it LOL  Thanks for the info Leooel
Your welcome, I also find the information very useful and it reinforces what Carlos has been saying all along, that avocados are the perfect food.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
Is your tree a dwarf this one is. It is 4 to 5 feet 5 years old and full of fruit

Any updates on Daisy avocado?
~Jeff

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 27, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »
06-27-2015: Entry 1 of 3

This is an update on some kind of a grafted, dwarfed, 'Monroe' avocado tree that BSB selected for me at Excalibur Nursery. This tree has about 2-3 grafting-knots (what's the proper term?)! I've had it for some years now. Its planted location is not optimum. It catches some shade off of a giant 'Royal Poinciana' pretty-flower tree (I've had on and off visions of shopping down the whole 'GP' flower-tree).

The tree is currently, still, at about 4 feet tall. And, for the very first time ever, this year it has the very first, growing, avocado fruit. So, as you can imagine, it's 'kinda' exciting. I hope the fruit keeps growing and ripens, so that I can taste a 'Monroe' avocado for (probably) the very first time.

I hope this development means that I'll be getting 'Monroe' avocado fruit every year from now on.

I consider 'Monroe' to be an excellent variety choice (at least in my location) that will fill about 2-3 months of the year with ripe avocados, among a collection of specific target varieties, with the outcome purpose of having avocado fruit year 'round (24/7).