Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211557 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
Not saying I agree which state grows the best avocados....just stating my observation that home grown truly does taste better, but maybe more because you're living there than because it's actually better. Or maybe it's just what do you prefer in an avocado? I think California avocados tend to be a bit more oily due to the more arid climate no? Maybe that's what most people prefer.

Thera, I agree with you. I love avocados from all places California avocados are unique due to our climate.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
Droshi, I am not a homer, like some others that are blinded by the loyalty of where they reside. Clearly, Florida has the best mangoes in the U.S. I have spoken to some Floridians and they admit the superiority of the avocado from California. But Hawaiian avocadoes???? They only person beating that drum is Oscar. The way he refers to California avocadoes is more a sign of jealousy and envy than actual substance to his ill advised comment that California avocadoes are crap, and that their popularity is only due to marketing.

Cuban007, that's a regrettable statement from someone I consider one of the best sources of the forum....I don't understand why Oscar is on an anti-California avocado crusade, he even blames the California Avocado Society.

Droshi, we grow all those Hawaiian avocados in Socal, I grow Kona Sharwil, but unfortunately I haven't seen one crack our top ten list.
[/quote]

Please cut the personal attack BS and don't put any words into my mouth.  >:(  I never said California avocados are crap. All i said was that Hass is not the "best avocado in the world". I think a lot of knowledgeable people would agree with that. I also think Sharwil is far from being the best avocado we have here. As i mentioned earlier, for many reasons, the top pick for commercial production is often far from the best tasting. Think of Tommy Atkins for an example to that! I do think Sharwil is better tasting than Hass, that is my own personal opinion after tasting many of both. At least the Sharwils produced here are better. I've never tasted a Sharwil produced in California. Climate is ofcourse a factor in how a fruit is going to taste. I don't need to beat any drums. I'm not a commercial grower of avocados and am not promoting one or the other. I'm giving my own personal taste preferences.
There are many excellent avocados in California. I lived there 26 years and got to taste a whole lot of the different cultivars there. I've lived here almost as long. Having lived in both places a long time all i'm saying is that it's easier to get access to get great avocados here year round, and they also are cheaper. Also it's a lot easier to grow avocados here. You throw an avocado pit by the side of the road and it will grow. Try doing that in arid California.
About oil content of avocados, climate is just one factor determining oil content, it's also influenced by cultivar. Some of the cultivars here have quite higher oil content than California Hass. Personally i don't like most super high oil cultivars so that doesn't matter to me.
The reason you don't see Hawaiian avocados on the mainland has nothing to do with costs, it has to do with Calavo politically pressuring USDA to ban them from being imported. The excuse given is that they can be a vector for fruitflies. But any grower knows that avocados picked hard will not have fruit fly, unless the exterior has been damaged. There have been several attempts to jump the hoops and clear Sharwils with USDA for exportation but they have failed. There is yet another attempt for clearance happening right now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:03:01 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
Not saying I agree which state grows the best avocados....just stating my observation that home grown truly does taste better, but maybe more because you're living there than because it's actually better. Or maybe it's just what do you prefer in an avocado? I think California avocados tend to be a bit more oily due to the more arid climate no? Maybe that's what most people prefer.

Arid climate is not a factor. The reason is, there are oily types of avocados and watery types and a range in between. The Hass is simply an oily type that California is well known for growing and with the rising popularity of Mexican food and guacamole, more Hass gets consumed each year. The not so oily types are good in their own way that does not include guacamole but as slices (garnish) on the side of a fish, meat or chicken plate in Latino cuisines. SE Asian cuisine too I think.

I was unaware of this oily to watery range in avocados until a few years ago

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »
Really poor quality same as crap. Just a play of words.

I still have yet to hear anyone in this forum talk about Hawaiian avocadoes the way you do. However, there are plenty here in the forum that can speak very positive about the quality of the California avocado, including, the California Hass.

To compare a California Hass Avo to a Tommy Atkins Mango is an insane and ignorant comparison. I reiterate, the Hass avocado is popular because of the consumer appeal to the quality of the fruit. I can understand that you're not a fan. Everyone has different palettes. Consider yourself in the minority. Millions of consumers love it and keep coming back for more. I have never heard anyone reject an Avo because it is a California Hass however I have heard plenty reject a mango because it is a Tommy Atkins.

P.S. Exotica has Sharwil and they are not hard to find here in SoCal.

Droshi, I am not a homer, like some others that are blinded by the loyalty of where they reside. Clearly, Florida has the best mangoes in the U.S. I have spoken to some Floridians and they admit the superiority of the avocado from California. But Hawaiian avocadoes???? They only person beating that drum is Oscar. The way he refers to California avocadoes is more a sign of jealousy and envy than actual substance to his ill advised comment that California avocadoes are crap, and that their popularity is only due to marketing.

Cuban007, that's a regrettable statement from someone I consider one of the best sources of the forum....I don't understand why Oscar is on an anti-California avocado crusade, he even blames the California Avocado Society.

Droshi, we grow all those Hawaiian avocados in Socal, I grow Kona Sharwil, but unfortunately I haven't seen one crack our top ten list.

Please cut the personal attack BS and don't put any words into my mouth.  >:(  I never said California avocados are crap. All i said was that Hass is not the "best avocado in the world". I think a lot of knowledgeable people would agree with that. I also think Sharwil is far from being the best avocado we have here. As i mentioned earlier, for many reasons, the top pick for commercial production is often far from the best tasting. Think of Tommy Atkins for an example to that! I do think Sharwil is better tasting than Hass, that is my own personal opinion after tasting many of both. At least the Sharwils produced here are better. I've never tasted a Sharwil produced in California. Climate is ofcourse a factor in how a fruit is going to taste. I don't need to beat any drums. I'm not a commercial grower of avocados and am not promoting one or the other. I'm giving my own personal taste preferences.
There are many excellent avocados in California. I lived there 26 years and got to taste a whole lot of the different cultivars there. I've lived here almost as long. Having lived in both places a long time all i'm saying is that it's easier to get access to get great avocados here year round, and they also are cheaper. Also it's a lot easier to grow avocados here. You throw an avocado pit by the side of the road and it will grow. Try doing that in arid California.
About oil content of avocados, climate is just one factor determining oil content, it's also influenced by cultivar. Some of the cultivars here have quite higher oil content than California Hass. Personally i don't like most super high oil cultivars so that doesn't matter to me.
The reason you don't see Hawaiian avocados on the mainland has nothing to do with costs, it has to do with Calavo politically pressuring USDA to ban them from being imported. The excuse given is that they can be a vector for fruitflies. But any grower knows that avocados picked hard will not have fruit fly, unless the exterior has been damaged. There have been several attempts to jump the hoops and clear Sharwils with USDA for exportation but they have failed. There is yet another attempt for clearance happening right now.
[/quote]

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
Hawaiian avocados are not exported to continental USA, so only the people that live here or visited here have even tasted them. It's rather obvious for that simple reason that most people on this forum have never tasted Hawaiian avocados. So why would they praise them? :o ::)
BTW, Sharwil, what some here are calling strangely Kona?, is not a Hawaiian avocado. It is originally from Australia. So we don't even take credit for that one.
The Sharwils grown in California are not going to be exact quality as ones grown here, just like Hass grown here or in Chile will not be the same quality as those grown in California. In fact Hass doesn't grow well here at all. Each avocado cultivar has its own niche where it performs the best.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
Sharwil, what some here are calling strangely Kona?, is not a Hawaiian avocado. It is originally from Australia. So we don't even take credit for that one.
The Sharwils grown in California are not going to be exact quality as ones grown here, just like Hass grown here or in Chile will not be the same quality as those grown in California. In fact Hass doesn't grow well here at all. Each avocado cultivar has its own niche where it performs the best.

Good Point.

Carlos, that is awesome news that you have Fuerte and Yamagata (where would we be without you). Certainly, everyone realizes that the progress that's being made to fill the 'SFL-WAV' would not have been possible without your help, many thanks.

JF and Mark in Texas  indicated that they'll provide you (Carlos) with Sharwil budwood. I'd like to say that I'll be very greatful about that, since Sharwil is an awesome, excellent, crucial and promising avocado cultivar for South Florida. It's very exciting to know that progress is being made to bring Sharwil to S. Florida. So, the following through with the above intended action that you guys have mentioned, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys fo pledging to do this.

P.S.   Nullzero has mentioned, in another thread, that he has bought a house, with about an acre lot size, in South Florida, although his description says that he's in California. He's also mentioned that he has a Sharwil and if I remember correctly, he's said that it's at his house, here in S. Florida.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:00:33 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »
My point is, and it will be as long as long as you keep your criticism of California Avos, that your criticism of Cal avos is unfounded and based on your single opinion.
If the Hawaiian avos were so great, people or business like CALAVO would have found a way to get them more widely distributed just like with any other fruit or product that has consumer support. Whether you like it OR NOT, Cal Hass has it, Hawaiian Avos DON'T.

Hawaiian avocados are not exported to continental USA, so only the people that live here or visited here have even tasted them. It's rather obvious for that simple reason that most people on this forum have never tasted Hawaiian avocados. So why would they praise them? :o ::)
BTW, Sharwil, what some here are calling strangely Kona?, is not a Hawaiian avocado. It is originally from Australia. So we don't even take credit for that one.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:19 AM »
CTMiami, a box of Cal Hass will be going your way on Monday. Plz, do us a favor and give us a review of the Costco bought Cal Hass.

P.S. Eating some right now with my black beans, rice, and lechon.....Heavenly!!!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »
My point is, and it will be as long as long as you keep your criticism of California Avos, that your criticism of Cal avos is unfounded and based on your single opinion.
If the Hawaiian avos were so great, people or business like CALAVO would have found a way to get them more widely distributed just like with any other fruit or product that has consumer support. Whether you like it OR NOT, Cal Hass has it, Hawaiian Avos DON'T.

I don't have anything against California avos. I'm a big fan of Reeds, Fuerte, Pinkerton, Linda, and many others. Aren't those California avos? You seem to get confused and think that California avos = Hass. That is a mistake many Californians make because all they see in the marketplace is Hass. I bet a vast majority of Californians can't name one other variety of avocado besides Hass...that is all they know. There are many other cultivars in California besides Hass. Unfortunately the marketing strategy of their growers association Calavo is totally and obsessively focused on Hass to the detriment of all the other good varieties. They even get other countries, like Chile, to exclusively plant Hass.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

I've been ordering from these guys for quite a while.  The fruit is picked tree ripe from their orchards, their service is excellent, and the prices are the best I've found for mail order cados.
http://www.morrocreekranch.com/

Of course home grown is better, because you're in control.  Change gears - get your hands on a BHN 602 tomato, aka "Rodeo".  Probably can grow it on your patio.  Been gardening for 40 years and it is hands down the best of the best regarding ease of culture and quality of fruit.

Regards,
Mark

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2013, 08:21:37 AM »
Fuerte are the first CA avocados I ever ate.  They're unbelievably good and superior to Hass, I would say, although it's been several years since I had one.  The market has definitely latched on to Hass with more than a half-dozen Hass-type varieties and almost year-round availability.  But let's not fight over avocados, boys!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:29:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
You don't have anything against Cal Avos.......Really??? ???

IMO Avos from California are far superior than other avos. The Cal Hass Avo is a good avocado and it is way better than you portray it. That is the reason why is popular and it is widely used.

I will wait for CTMiami's unbiased opinion of the Cal Hass Avo.

I don't have anything against California avos. I'm a big fan of Reeds, Fuerte, Pinkerton, Linda, and many others. Aren't those California avos? You seem to get confused and think that California avos = Hass. That is a mistake many Californians make because all they see in the marketplace is Hass. I bet a vast majority of Californians can't name one other variety of avocado besides Hass...that is all they know. There are many other cultivars in California besides Hass. Unfortunately the marketing strategy of their growers association Calavo is totally and obsessively focused on Hass to the detriment of all the other good varieties. They even get other countries, like Chile, to exclusively plant Hass.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
Can we please give up the chest beating macho drills?  "My avocado can beat up your avocado" is getting a little old.  ::)

We're all on the same team so let's play nice, eh.

Mark

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
CTMiami, a box of Cal Hass will be going your way on Monday. Plz, do us a favor and give us a review of the Costco bought Cal Hass.

P.S. Eating some right now with my black beans, rice, and lechon.....Heavenly!!!!!

Thank you I'll be waiting by the door.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
Colloidal silver is supposed to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I know my figs will be getting leaf rust as we get more rain. I will test it on them. Silver is next to copper (a known anti-fungal) in the periodic table and both are in the same grouping as gold. So maybe silver can do some of what copper does but more gently and not harmful to people who spray it, accumulating in the orchards soil to the point where some orchards have to be abandoned
http://silverpuppy.com/  colloidal silver generator
(quote)

Zands, I was not aware that copper spraying could accumulate "in the orchards' soil to the point where some orchards have to be abandoned."
I'm going to be looking into more of an organic approach, in order to prevent something like this from happening.

Carlos, in order to do justice in your taste test, may I suggest that it's important that the California Hass avocado(s) that Cuban007 is going to send you, that you also eat it like he does, with some (quoting Cuban007) "black beans, rice, and lechon.....Heavenly!!!!!"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:41:37 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
Can we please give up the chest beating macho drills?  "My avocado can beat up your avocado" is getting a little old.  ::)

We're all on the same team so let's play nice, eh.

Mark

I agree with Mark. Let's just hope Oscar chooses his words more carefully and goes back to sharing his wealth of knowledge on fruit trees with all of us.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
Zands, I was not aware that copper spraying could accumulate "in the orchards' soil to the point where some orchards have to be abandoned."
I'm going to be looking into more of an organic approach, in order to prevent something like this from happening.

Someone here said some citrus (think it was) groves had to be abandoned.....  but I can find no evidence on the internet of abandoned groves. Only that some groves accumulate copper in the soil so much that it hurts the microbial life of the soil >>>>> which is important because your soil is like a container of non-pasteurized yogurt. It is a fermentation vat

Silver is almost copper and vis versa. Are first cousins on the periodic table same as silver is almost gold. All three are in the same metals grouping on the periodic table

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
You guys might check with Carlos as someone made the same kind of statement and he corrected them in a post.  Apparently he uses copper sprays quite a bit, has quite a large op, and has had his soil tested for Cu residuals.  Analysis came up benign.  Best do a soil test and deal with the facts rather than (perhaps) feelings.

Regarding microbes and plant nutrition, a plant doesn't care as long as it is getting a well balanced diet of the 16 essential elements in the proper ratios/amounts.   I don't do hydro but I've seen large very successful ops like at Epcot.  Simply amazing. 

Good luck,
Mark

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »
You guys might check with Carlos as someone made the same kind of statement and he corrected them in a post.  Apparently he uses copper sprays quite a bit, has quite a large op, and has had his soil tested for Cu residuals.  Analysis came up benign.  Best do a soil test and deal with the facts rather than (perhaps) feelings.

Regarding microbes and plant nutrition, a plant doesn't care as long as it is getting a well balanced diet of the 16 essential elements in the proper ratios/amounts.   I don't do hydro but I've seen large very successful ops like at Epcot.  Simply amazing. 

Good luck,
Mark

Are you talking about 16 elements instantly soluble and available to the roots and absorbable via (foliar) the leaves? Then I guess you can pull it off with this high end tech. But the peasants of the world cannot farm this way. They depend on the slower way of microorganisms and a living fermenting soil to help the root hairs take up minerals and liberate (make soluble) those minerals from large particle sizes. The more cultivated the plant (like we eat these days) the more this is needed. Wild plants, many of them, can do this without humus and micro-orgs or just a few of them. A wild plant (that might even be edible) can grow in a newly formed rock crevice but not a cabbage

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
Are you talking about 16 elements instantly soluble and available to the roots and absorbable via (foliar) the leaves? Then I guess you can pull it off with this high end tech.

Soil, soil-less, water culture....Dyna-Gro has you covered.  I use their Foliage Pro which is complete and in a form that is available for uptake via the roots or foliar - http://www.dyna-gro.com/Website%20pdf%20Files/Dyna-Gro%20Brochure.pdf   You could use this, grow in lava rock and be very successful.  A qt. which costs about $15 goes a long way.

Having said that, many third world countries are limited to organic growing such that soil health is very important.   And for the record, I am one organic mofo.  Not an organic purist as I think it's another high priced marketing racket aimed at using one's organic/natural religious leanings and feelings to take advantage of "those types"......screening out the cultists as good sucker bets.   I use myco drenches on all plant material, compost, manure, etc.   I combine that with synthetics to give me the best of both worlds - slow release of organics such as the meals (blood, bone), humates, etc.  and the beneficial elements they provide (as opposed to base "essential" elements.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:00:25 AM by Mark in Texas »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Are you talking about 16 elements instantly soluble and available to the roots and absorbable via (foliar) the leaves? Then I guess you can pull it off with this high end tech.

Soil, soil-less, water culture....Dyna-Gro has you covered.  I use their Foliage Pro which is complete and in a form that is available for uptake via the roots or foliar - http://www.dyna-gro.com/Website%20pdf%20Files/Dyna-Gro%20Brochure.pdf   You could use this, grow in lava rock and be very successful.  A qt. which costs about $15 goes a long way.

Having said that, many third world countries are limited to organic growing such that soil health is very important.   And for the record, I am one organic mofo.  Not an organic purist as I think it's another marketing racket aimed at using one's organic/natural religious leanings to take advantage of,  screening out the cultists as good sucker bets, and I use myco drenches on all plant material, compost, manure, etc.   I combine that with synthetics to give me the best of both worlds - slow release of organics such as the meals (blood, bone), humates, etc.  and the beneficial elements they provide (as opposed to the base "essential" elements.)

Biomass turning into humus is where it is at. I used to go 100% organic but now am willing to mix. Organic farming needs animal shyte for nitrogen and we don't live so close to our livestock anymore though some do....... so....... Am I going to visit a stable and haul horse manure 10 miles? No. I'll buy NPK ans use wood chips from the tree trimmers

(Organic dudes also use green manures and crop rotation to supply nitrogen)
*****  I would love to try bio-char but cannot do this in my subdivision  8)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:05:12 AM by zands »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2013, 11:31:18 PM »
Updated avocado list, with new avocado cultivar, 'Fujikawa,' that could fill the S. FL Winter Avocado Void (SFL-WAV)

1   Sharwil
2   Fujikawa
3   Fuerte
4   Jan Boyce
5   Yamagata

Carlos, I looked into the Fujikawa Hawaiian avocado that you mentioned (Nice find!). It has quality specifications that show potential fo fill the 'SF-WAV.'
In some places it said that the Fujikawa has a small seed and in other places they say it has a medium sized seed. Although I prefer a small seed, a medium sized seed is in my opinion, not a deal breaker, since it has to be taken in consideration with other specs. of fruit quality and ripening period.

February 13, 1979
Fujikawa avocado (by Warren Yee; University of Hawaii)
The Fujikawa is a Guatemalan type seedling planted by the late Satomi Fujicawa at Honaunau, Kona. It is very heavy bearer with fruits of good cold storage keeping quality. Fruit characteristics: form, almost spherical; weight, 1 ¼ - 1 ½ pounds; color, green; skin, medium thick and slightly rough; seed, small;  flesh, light yellow; flavor, rich and nutty; season, February to May. Oil content, 16.7 – 27 percent.

Organization for Tropical Studies (2004)
'Fujikawa', `Hass', `Pinkerton' and `Guatemala' attained a production of 700 fruit per tree.
The 'Fujikawa' variety had the largest mean fruit weight with 348.8 g.
There were large differences between varieties for pulp flavor, only five varieties ('Fujikawa', `Pinkerton', 'Kahalu', `Hass' and 'Fuerte') showed the best flavor, the rest of the varieties had a lower pulp flavor. From the studied characteristics, it is possible to conclude that additionally to the `Hass' and 'Fuerte' varieties, three good genotypes (Pinkerton, Fujikawa and Kahalu) were distinguished with high potential to be grown commercially under an agroforestry production system.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:22:09 PM by LEOOEL »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
(Organic dudes also use green manures and crop rotation to supply nitrogen)
*****  I would love to try bio-char but cannot do this in my subdivision  8)

Before I put in my commercial crop on my farm, for 3 consecutive years, I planted Hairy vetch, Madrid yellow sweet clover and elbon rye for the humus and N.  Also, the vetch and clover have a deep invasive branching taproot that helps break up my heavy clay loam.  Didn't get much N out of it and even though some of the stock grew to 6' and thick, didn't get a lot of humus....as least to the naked eye.  BUT, I think green manure crops are ignored by too many and should be included in any crop production and that includes tropicals.

You can grow a crop of vetch, let it lignify (flower and get woody), crush it with a roller and plant tomatoes, cantaloupe....whatever.....in the thick mulch you just made.  There are papers on this technique. 

The clover and vetch are invasive and easily reseed year after year.  You only need to innoculate the seed one time.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:27:00 AM by Mark in Texas »

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »
CTMiami, they're on their way. Tracking number has been sent as well. Enjoy!!!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »
CTMiami, they're on their way. Tracking number has been sent as well. Enjoy!!!

CTMIAMI deserves it, and I for one am very interested in the result(s) of the taste test.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Carlos on my behalf and on behalf of others, for the valuable information about avocado cultivars that he's provided in this thread.  Most of the valuable information available in this thread, and that yet to come, is to his credit. If there's an avocado master, Carlos is it. And, it has been a privilege to have been a part in this ongoing journey.

Of the five avocado cultivars, of fine outstanding quality, on the 'List,' there is a good possibility that one or more could fill the 'South Florida - Winter Avocado Void' (SFL-WAV). There is also the possibility that some of these varieties could fill the Winter Avocado Void in other places of the country.

In this journey, the light at the end of the tunnel (as they say) can already be seen. Thanks to everyone involved in this collaboration, and please keep your contributions coming.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:31:22 AM by LEOOEL »