Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211541 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #300 on: August 06, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
Leo see JF comments above. Fuerte matures in his house Feb-March. His house in So. Cal is very close to So. Florida in some maturities. Fuerte is really good.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
Carlos, the Pinkerton bloomed in December.....it was the earliest of all the avocados. When do yours usually start to bloom?? I picked Fuertes off my friends tree in Santa Ana two weeks ago, they stay on the tree for a long time down there.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
JF. The Pinkerton tree That I have is the bud wood I got in Dec or January so Its growing very well but it has not flowered yet. Hope it flowers this year some times they dont in the first year.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »
Leo see JF comments above. Fuerte matures in his house Feb-March. His house in So. Cal is very close to So. Florida in some maturities. Fuerte is really good.

Carlos, I took a look at JF's comments above as you suggested. And, you're-right/we're-in-full-agreement (thanks JF), it's better to verify and not believe what others say, and put the 'Fuerte' avocado back on the "Watch" List and wait for the results of your webpage's "Under Evaluation" column.

The updated 'South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void/Avocado-Cultivars-Cocktail-Tree List' ('S.FL WAV/ACCT List'):

1 Janurary: Monroe
2 February: Lula, Don-Carlitos (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?)
3 March: Don-Carlitos (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?)
4 April: ?
5 May: Wurtz?
6 June: Doni, Simmonds (per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July)
7 July: Doni, Simmonds, Catalina
8 August: Catalina, Simmonds, Miguel
9 September: Catalina, Bacon, Miguel
10 October: Hass, Bacon
11 November: Hass, Oro-Negro
12 December: Monroe, Oro-Negro

"Watch" List
We're in the process of confirming that at least one (or more) of the following avocado cultivars, will fill in the 'SFL-WAV' months of March, April and May:
Group 1: 'Sharwil', 'Fujikawa', 'Utuado', 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling’ (per CTMIAMI: that should be good for February and Early March). Also,
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’ Avocado and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: Hawaiians like, ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kalahuu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Muragishe-Plus.’ And,
Group 5: Californians like, ‘Gwen,’ ‘Santa-Ana-Hass,’ ‘Lamb-Hass,’ ‘Sir-Prize,’ and ‘Holiday.’
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:22:38 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
Carlos and Leo, my Sir Prize are sizing up and it looks like some will be ready again by thanksgiving. This variety extends to late February early March in La Habra.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
JF, that's a real beauty. I sure hope 'Fuerte' works out good for S. Florida, it's an exceptional cultivar in California, thanx for the 'Fuerte' pic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:31:06 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »
Just have to say, I love this thread! Have been lurking it for a little while. Originally I thought both Mangoes and Avocados to be very seasonal fruits, but, I'm excited to read otherwise here. I'm also excited to re-read and see that my first Avocado is an all-winter bearer.

Question - Is Rosy-Gold and Rosigold the same thing? I'm assuming so, I just want a confirmation. It looks like it will go on my top 3 for my next mangoes to get. :)
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
JF, that's a real beauty. I sure hope 'Fuerte' works out good for S. Florida, it's an exceptional cultivar in California, thanx for the 'Fuerte' pic.

Lula should be listed late October onward to late January, early February

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
I know you're doing a month-by-month breakdown, Leo, and trying to cover the blank months, but the great thing about LULA is that the fruit can be picked as early as October, and then will just hang on the tree until whenever (hopefully Feb.), especially if you hold back on feeding the tree nitrogen, so the homeowner could cover several months with Lula alone.  Also, I really like the flavor of Lula--a little sweet, yet nutty and rich, with sufficient oil content.  I'm still hoping to squeeze a Lula tree in somewhere!

(zands, I wrote this the same time as you!)
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
I agree on the Lula, I have seen Lula's full of fruit in February. I don't know how well they produce the following year.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
Just have to say, I love this thread! Have been lurking it for a little while. Originally I thought both Mangoes and Avocados to be very seasonal fruits, but, I'm excited to read otherwise here. I'm also excited to re-read and see that my first Avocado is an all-winter bearer.

Question - Is Rosy-Gold and Rosigold the same thing? I'm assuming so, I just want a confirmation. It looks like it will go on my top 3 for my next mangoes to get. :)

Curious, are you growing in a greenhouse?  8b?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
I agree on the Lula, I have seen Lula's full of fruit in February. I don't know how well they produce the following year.

Like I said, your growing conditions are similar to south Texas where Lula is the main commercial variety grown.  Here's what Dr. Julian Sauls has to say about fruiting:

'Lula' is the variety of commerce in the lower Rio Grande Valley, with fruits nearing a pound in size and having a green, thick peel which resists disease quite well. It matures in October and stores well on-tree into January or February. 'Lula' sustains severe freeze damage below 27 degrees, although it commonly regrows from below ground. Seeds from 'Lula' are the preferred rootstock for all avocados in South Texas, as it is fairly tolerant to existing soil salinity.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/fruit/avocado2.html

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:38 AM »
Illia, I must say that I adore my 'Rosy-Gold' mango tree. It bears my first mangoes of the year, and I'm trying to somehow trick it to start bearing fruit earlier, in February (that would be great!).
To me, this mango cultivar is an 'institution' in my yard.

Also, I'm curious, maybe you've seen something that I've missed. Which avocado variety are you referring to whose fruit mature throughout all winter? It sounds like the Winter-Avocado-Void (WAV) Holy Grail. And, thank you for your kind words, I'm glad this thread is to your liking. Many of us on this thread make an effort that it provides usefull "Mango and/or Avocado 24/7" information.

Lula should be listed late October onward to late January, early February

Zands, you're correct, the 'S.FL-WAV/ACCT List' will reflect the 'Lula" avocado fruit maturity season. Also, I'm in Zone 10b in Miami, FL, USA, and I've noticed that the further South you go, the longer the fruit stays on the 'Lula.' As I've mentioned before, I picked the last fruit off a 'Lula' avocado tree this year around the 10th of March!

Johnb51, thank you for mentioning those good techniques for getting the most out of 'Lula', the 'workhorse' of avocado cultivars.

CTMIAMI, that's exactly how the 'Lula' that I just mentioned above to Zands, behaved this year (full of fruit in February). I guess I've been taking it for granted that it would behave the same way next year, we'll have to wait and see, keeping my fingers crossed. But, based on the 'Lula's' reputation, my bet is that it'll do a repeat.

A thought just came to mind (if it's doable), maybe crossing the 'Lula' with another quality avocado cultivar, will produce an even more formidable new avocado cultivar, it's been done with mangoes!

Mark in Texas, thanks for that quoted, very informative description, of the behavior of 'Lula' avocado in Texas, that Dr. Julian Sauls sure knows about avocados.

The updated 'South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void/Avocado-Cultivars-Cocktail-Tree List' ('S.FL WAV/ACCT List'):

1 Janurary: Monroe, Lula
2 February: Lula, Don-Carlitos (per CTMIAMI: alternate bearer?)
3 March: Don-Carlitos (per CTMIAMI: alternate bearer?)
4 April: ?
5 May: Wurtz?
6 June: Doni, Simmonds (per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July)
7 July: Doni, Simmonds, Catalina
8 August: Catalina, Simmonds, Miguel
9 September: Catalina, Bacon, Miguel
10 October: FL-Hass, Lula, Bacon
11 November: FL-Hass, Lula, Oro-Negro
12 December: Monroe, Lula, Oro-Negro

"Watch" List
We're in the process of confirming that at least one (or more) of the following avocado cultivars, will fill in the 'SFL-WAV' months of March, April and May:
Group 1: 'Sharwil', 'Fujikawa', 'Utuado', 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling’ (per CTMIAMI: that should be good for February and Early March). Also,
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’ Avocado and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: Hawaiians like, ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kalahuu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Muragishe-Plus.’ And,
Group 5: Californians like, ‘Gwen,’ ‘Santa-Ana-Hass,’ ‘Lamb-Hass,’ ‘Sir-Prize,’ and ‘Holiday.’
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:57:51 AM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
http://www.thegrower.com/issues/citrus-vegetable/New-varieties-could-extend-Floridas-avocado-season-218521951.html

Interesting article on extending the avocado season

Good article, Carlos.  But then I read the 2 articles on laurel wilt disease, and they're a bit scary.  How do you feel about this disease?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
John the answer to that question could take all day. I think the University and Gov scientist have been slow reacting. The Local avocado industry does not have the cloud of the Ca or even the FL citrus industry.  It is a very deadly and fast acting killer.
With current technology the trees can be protected but you have to inject the tree with Tilt (propiconazole) but is like every one is experimenting on their own. There is a special label for Tilt used in avocado from Syngenta. There are no set guidelines and for the homeowners there are no protocols to follow, just lose the tree. When in actuality for about $2.00 of Tilt and reusable equipment you can make for under $25.00 a tree can be injected. But the makers of the fungicide will probably not sell to homeowners and the simple equipment that I use is not "label" for that use, regulations, law suits, red tape, labels, testing etc.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:22 PM »
Leo, here are 2 more Hawaii avocados for your dry-months you can add to your list.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2013, 01:44:18 AM »
johnb51, now that we are in the cusp of having '...avocado 24/7' (about 10 years from now, per Carlos' linked article), it would be a shame if this problem is not solved by a/some scientist(s).

Carlos, very nice article, it goes to show that the effort to have avocados in Florida 24/7 is growing all the time. And, the more, the merrier. To be honest with you, I want to close the 'WAV' window in Florida very much, and I'm prepared to do anything I can to help accomplish it. But, when it comes down to it, I for one don't care who gets the credit for it. I just want to get this done 'yesterday.' That's just how I feel about it, and I have nothing against those who are looking for the credit to themselves. The goal of this thread is to find "...avocado 24/7" cultivars for S. Florida, so that anyone who wants avocados year round (24/7) in their home yard, can do so, whether by separately planted trees or ACCT's.

JF, feel free to provide the specs. and any opinion of them that you may think would be good to know.

Luisport, that's a great recommendation of the 'Lula' by Mikesid. If I were you, I would also check/research on the lowest temperature that the 'Lula' can take, and compare it to the lowest recorded temperatures where you are. Also, keep in mind that a great way to find/grow new good quality avocado trees where you are, is to grow them from seed. Although seedlings take longer to fruit, you may find what you're looking for. The trick to achieve success, is to plant as many seedlings as you possible can, and have the space for.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:23:00 AM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »
johnb51, now that we are in the cusp of having '...avocado 24/7' (about 10 years from now, per Carlos' linked article), it would be a shame if this problem is not solved by a/some scientists(s).

Carlos, very nice article, it goes to show that the effort to have avocados in Florida 24/7 is growing all the time. And, the more, the merrier. To be honest with you, I want to close the 'WAV' window in Florida very much, and I'm prepared to do anything I can to help accomplish it. But, when it comes down to it, I for one don't care who gets the credit for it. I just want to get this done 'yesterday.' That's just how I feel about it, and I have nothing against those who are looking for the credit to themselves. The goal of this thread is to find "...avocado 24/7" cultivars for S. Florida, so that anyone who wants avocados year round (24/7) in their home yard, can do so, whether by separately planted trees or ACCT's.

JF, feel free to provide the specs. and any opinion of them that you may think would be good to know.

Luisport, that's a great recommendation of the 'Lula' by Mikesid. If I were you, I would also check/research on the lowest temperature that the 'Lula' can take, and compare it to the lowest recorded temperatures where you are. Also, keep in mind that a great way to find/grow new good quality avocado trees where you are, is to grow them from seed. Although seedlings take longer to fruit, you may find what you're looking for. The trick to achieve success, is to plant as many seedlings as you possible can, and have the space for.
Thank's Leoo, but i can't find lula cultivar here...  but i don't have any major problema with avocados... there are big trees even in north that is much colder than where i live. But thank you so much for your tips!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »
Luis interesting that avocados are growing there. I guess is because the Atlantic Ocean keep it area warmer?
Fatima is in the list of my places to visit hopefully next year.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
Yes Luis, very interesting that they are growing there can you list any named varieties and brief description please!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »
johnb51, now that we are in the cusp of having '...avocado 24/7' (about 10 years from now, per Carlos' linked article), it would be a shame if this problem is not solved by a/some scientists(s).

Hi Leo
I don't have much information other than it's a very ordinary winter avocado. Maybe Oscar can chime in and tell us about these Hawaiian varieties that is grown at SCREC in Irvine CA

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »
Luisport, I learn something new pretty much everyday in this Forum, I am am also as surprised as Carlos. I had no idea that all types of large tree avocados grew there. It seems to me that you're living in a wonderful, real life, fantasy land, where all types of wonderful fruit will grow there. I'm very curious about the name of the avocado varieties/cultivars that grow well there, and especially those that may produce mature/ripe fruit in the middle of winter, or close to the middle of winter. Congratulations and please keep the surprises coming.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:54:32 AM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2013, 07:33:45 AM »
Yes it's true, there are one  blog that it's trying to locate all avocado trees in Portugal: http://abacateportugal.blogspot.pt/

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
Luis interesting that avocados are growing there. I guess is because the Atlantic Ocean keep it area warmer?
Fatima is in the list of my places to visit hopefully next year.
Great! If you came with time and want to, you will came to my house and eat with us!  ;)