Author Topic: Baked Eggs in Avocado  (Read 6713 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Baked Eggs in Avocado
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »

Baked Eggs in Avocado

INGREDIENTS

2 ripe avocados
4 fresh eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives

DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2) Slice the avocados in half, and take out the pit. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh from the center of the avocado, just enough so the egg will fit snugly in the center.

3) Place the avocados in a small baking dish. Do your best to make sure they fit tightly.

4) Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try your best to crack the yolk in first, then let the egg whites spill in to fill up the rest of the shell.

5) Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of your eggs and avocados. Just make sure the egg whites have enough time to set.

6) Remove from oven, then season with pepper, chives, and garnish of your choice. Enjoy!

NOTES

This recipe calls for chopped chives, but feel free to serve with whatever fresh herbs or other toppings you have available. A tablespoon of salsa or a little hot sauce would offer a nice hit of spice.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Baked-Eggs-Avocado-Recipe-30787252

George

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Baked Eggs in Avocado
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:19:21 AM »
This is a great recipe, especially for me ( mostly vegetarian). Thanks for posting!
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
Sounded great!  But the result was nasty! I love eggs and avocado so this seemed a match made in heaven but the result was the opposite. Maybe I overcooked it but to get the whites firm the yolk became hard.  Maybe with a runny yolk it would be better, but i doubt it. My advice is to 86 this recipe. Was a waste of a good avocado and an egg.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to fry the egg and then place fried egg inside avocado, instead of baking the whole avocado? Seems like a waste of energy? And what is the sense of cooking an avocado? OK i haven't tried it yet, so shouldn't talk.  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »
I agree with cooking egg and placing into raw/fresh avocado.   Nothing good can come of cooking an avocado.

Toppings, in addition to chives/green onions, that would go well is bacon and goat cheese or a sweet/dolce bleu cheese.
- Rob

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »
Whatever guys!  I still appreciate the idea and will try it both ways!

Thanks!

Dave

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
I have done this before and cooked avocado tastes a little weird. Definitely tastier to fry an egg and place it on a fresh avocado!

Still a cool way to cook an egg in any case!
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
OK, I actually tried this recipe finally and to say it is horrible is the understatement of a lifetime.  If you want an easier way to achieve the same results then throw away an egg and an avocado and then force yourself to throw up. 
George

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
OK, I actually tried this recipe finally and to say it is horrible is the understatement of a lifetime.  If you want an easier way to achieve the same results then throw away an egg and an avocado and then force yourself to throw up.

HAHAHA. The idea of egg and avocado together is good. Just that baking avocados makes them taste like grease balls. Avocado is good in soup though.
Oscar

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »

hahaha! I didn't think it was that awful, but it definitely was not pleasant.
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
why not just scramble up an omelette and have avocado and salsa on the side of the plate.  That would be good, but I am not putting avos in the oven.  lol
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration