Author Topic: What projects have you been saving for after the autumn Equinox  (Read 3036 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What projects have you been saving for after the autumn Equinox
« on: September 07, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
After it cools off I have a fence building project a greenhouse project the mulching to do. I like to save such projects to until when I can actually enjoy myself I find I do better quality work. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: What projects have you been saving for after the autumn Equinox
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 12:51:51 PM »
Nothing...winter is depressing for me...maybe some greenhouse maintenance...winter is sad winter make me and my plants sad.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »
Nothing...winter is depressing for me...maybe some greenhouse maintenance...winter is sad winter make me and my plants sad.
That's the difference between TN and FL.  We don't come alive here until the debilitating summer heat is over.  The only thing that keeps us going in summer is mangos!  If you're close to the beach, that helps, too.
John

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
A 40 x 10 ft shade house in on its way for rare and ‘ultra’ rare plinia, myrtiacea  seedlings. Seems like the auction thingie in ebay and people’s craze for bidding on everything might help me retire early...lol..no i am split about it, i may go on meditation retreat. My wife has started her veggie seeds - tomato, kale, choi,peppers etc - annuals to be planted in our raised beds. Annuals are not my expertise.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:59:29 PM »
Tropical landscaping the 1/2 acre lot around our new house in the middle of the 4 acre fruit farm on Pine Island. Downstairs is an airbnb apartment nightly rental where guests can stay and eat all the fruit you want. We will be living upstairs overlooking the farm.
The house is 90% finished now move in date is November. I have grown all my landscaping plants over the past 2 years and it will be a fun project this winter. Lots of palms, small fruit trees, ornamentals, ground covers & special plants of all kinds.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »
Tropical landscaping the 1/2 acre lot around our new house in the middle of the 4 acre fruit farm on Pine Island. Downstairs is an airbnb apartment nightly rental where guests can stay and eat all the fruit you want. We will be living upstairs overlooking the farm.
The house is 90% finished now move in date is November. I have grown all my landscaping plants over the past 2 years and it will be a fun project this winter. Lots of palms, small fruit trees, ornamentals, ground covers & special plants of all kinds.

I vote for Piccabeen Palms Bougainvillea and Dwarf Whites Sands Oleander. For the most part low-maintenance

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:30:11 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Put in a greenhouse once I can decide exactly what I want.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
I vote for Piccabeen Palms Bougainvillea and Dwarf Whites Sands Oleander. For the most part low-maintenance
Thanks for the heads up I do have 11 types of palms ready but not that one. Have almost every color of bougainvillea ready to go, but no oleander yet I will look for that one. My wife loves the white bridal veil she would enjoy the white oleander. I have a whole shade house full of plants and trees ready to go.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 10:54:19 PM »
I try to put fragrant stuff close to the house (night-blooming jasmine, plumeria, gardenia, banana shrub) and the fruit further out.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 11:06:31 PM »
Hooking up this freebie water storage tank to the rain gutter downspout and adding a pump and a nice looking enclosure for the tank.

Also making passionfruit jelly for Christmas presents.

And catching up on my homebrewing.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 02:00:48 AM »
You're kicking butt Bo! Good luck to you.
-Chris

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 06:11:23 AM »
Hooking up this freebie water storage tank to the rain gutter downspout and adding a pump and a nice looking enclosure for the tank.

I like your water storage idea sent photo to brother in California

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »

Do you know who bought the 600 acres on Pine Island, and what they're going to do with it?
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
When I think it's low odds of  a hurricane damaging the Lychee trees this year, I will pull out the knife, constrictor cords, and other instruments of destruction to put a hurting on a few lychee tree limbs as the Sept. to Oct. damaged tree limbs seem to produce more fruit the following year in my yard... I think it's the feeling of possible death entering the tree and thus reproduction (fruiting) becomes more of a priority. Your mileage may vary & I would not damage the main trunk from the roots up to the first limb union. However if 3 limbs branch off 1 trunk, it's easy to try this on at least one limb division for next year to check if it works for you.... And if you like the results, the following year you could damage 2 of the 3 branches etc. etc. etc. if it works for you.

If your tree is bearing good then of course do not cut it, keep it as is.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
You're kicking butt Bo! Good luck to you.
what kind of passion fruit is that?

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »

What kind of passion fruit is that?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
Nothing much, just standing raw eggs on end with the grandkids. Thought for years you could only do that on the equinox ('cause that's what grandpa said, and he'd NEVER lie to us!), until I tried it on a random summer day.
Oh well. Still fun to impress the grandkids.

Carolyn

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »
Saltyreefer...

It's that variety that's being sold by some CA nurseries as "Red Rover," but apparently isn't.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40303.msg396922#msg396922

I like the variety...the only drawback is that I've had to hand pollinate it, which I didn't need to do with Frederick at my last place. But I might have had better pollinators there. It needs bumble bees or carpenter bees.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
Do you know who bought the 600 acres on Pine Island, and what they're going to do with it?

That is my next door neighbor, 40 acres of it is seen in the pic just over the roof of my house. They had an auction of various size parcels up to 120 acres. I attended and saw many many people had spent a great deal of time choosing getting qualified, etc. The rules were complicated and something didn't seem right. Two weeks later, bidders were notified that a single buyer had outbid all others and all sales were off. The county lists the current owner as "Bokeelia Growers" which only leads to an LLC fronted by an attorney who does paperwork. Nothing has happened at the property over the past year except routine mowing, and nobody knows anything. It's my conspiracy theory that the owner did a sham auction to see what the property was worth and then a sham sale buying it back from himself. Not nice or fair to prospective genuinely interested buyers, in my opinion. Time will tell.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 12:18:00 AM »
Try this https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322288573_Effect_of_Foliar_Spray_of_Chemicals_on_Flowering_and_Fruiting_in_Litchi

When I think it's low odds of  a hurricane damaging the Lychee trees this year, I will pull out the knife, constrictor cords, and other instruments of destruction to put a hurting on a few lychee tree limbs as the Sept. to Oct. damaged tree limbs seem to produce more fruit the following year in my yard... I think it's the feeling of possible death entering the tree and thus reproduction (fruiting) becomes more of a priority. Your mileage may vary & I would not damage the main trunk from the roots up to the first limb union. However if 3 limbs branch off 1 trunk, it's easy to try this on at least one limb division for next year to check if it works for you.... And if you like the results, the following year you could damage 2 of the 3 branches etc. etc. etc. if it works for you.

If your tree is bearing good then of course do not cut it, keep it as is.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
This weekend was overcast and breezy in low 80's This is just what i was waiting on. I've been pulling weeds all weekend. My boredom overcame my laziness :) Anyone else have a productive weekend?

Pile of weeds

Update October 19th
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:08:34 AM by bovine421 »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
I'm cold.
I tossed sulfur this morn on a mango & few bananas before last quick rain.
See in a few days.

November i'll be planting 6 or so mango flavors with sweatshirt on.
Sorry i edit post sometimes,

Ed
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:51:43 PM by EddieF »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:16 AM »
There is a lot of wonderful projects going on in this thread. Would be nice to hear some updates! I personally got a free load of Oak chip mulch from a tree trimming service and finished mulching around my short cycled plantain. I am almost finish mulching around mango tree's and will update with photos. Hopefully this will inspire and motivate others. It's supposed to be in the low 80s this weekend in Florida so you might want to wear a jacket.Lol :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:44:08 AM by bovine421 »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »
Pruning all my stone fruit trees which i will turn into great mulch for my 11 varieties of avocado trees  :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
Pruning all my stone fruit trees which i will turn into great mulch for my 11 varieties of avocado trees  :)
I surely would enjoy some photos of those stone fruit trees and the fruit :)