Author Topic: Loquat grafing on quince  (Read 3728 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Loquat grafing on quince
« on: April 11, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
Hi, I have several loquat seedlings from which I would like to graft on quince rootstocks that I just dug up today. When is the best time to graft, should the rootstock be actively growing or can I graft now when the trees have not waked up, the are starting to swell buds tho... what about the scion , I ques it should be totally dormant ??
I am applying some photos of the loquats I want to take cuttings from, the thing is they are small seedlings and I wonder if I should and can prune them to half their size and use the prunings for the grafting, will the remaining plants resprout and not die , I heard they do not take well pruning when young??
Finally ,what method works best, bark, cleft, other grafting method ?? I could use approach grafting bit this I thing would be tedious and if I will be cutting the little loquats would prefer to just head them and leave them to resprout faster ....
Thanks for your help !!!:-):-)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:20:55 PM by Plantinyum »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat grafing on quince
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
your rootstalk needs to be actively growing other than that any time is good to graft and any kind of graft will work, both of those are very easy to work with, working with those trees you can make specimen showoff cocktail fruit salad trees as you can have Loquat-Quince- Pear and Apple all on one tree, makes a very showy subject

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »
your rootstalk needs to be actively growing other than that any time is good to graft and any kind of graft will work, both of those are very easy to work with, working with those trees you can make specimen showoff cocktail fruit salad trees as you can have Loquat-Quince- Pear and Apple all on one tree, makes a very showy subject
thanks ,I will then bring the quince rootstocks in the greenhouse to wake them up faster.
Can u please just tell me ,can I use loquat scions that have began to grow, the loquats are dormant right now but are also in the greenhouse from yesterday and I expect them to begin growing in a few days ...

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
I have never seen a dormant loquat they are evergreen, are you sure that is what you have?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:56 PM »
I have never seen a dormant loquat they are evergreen, are you sure that is what you have?
I mean that the plant is not in active growth state right now, they are def loquats ...since I will be using branch tips , was wondering if I can use ones that have started to grow/ are not dormant ....

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
You can use tip growth as long as it hasn't pushed to much, I grafted one earlier this year with tip growth about half inch long and still pointed and it's starting to push new growth! I try to get pic to show. You know that it will dwarf tree about 50% nice if you don't have space for big tree or tired of feeding birds.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 07:45:06 PM »
Here is pic's of tree I grafted about 3-4 weeks ago and tree in ground was grafted in 2015.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 12:54:17 AM »
Here is pic's of tree I grafted about 3-4 weeks ago and tree in ground was grafted in 2015.

thanks for the info, yes I have heard that quince dwarfs the loquat, and this is my intention actually, along with adding a bit more hardiness and better fruit flavor hopefully ,have heard flavor also is affected in good way. ? Your loquat on quince is very nice and compact !
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:57:31 AM by Plantinyum »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 10:28:38 PM »
Looks like it has potential as an edible ground cover! Lol! Actually, I am impressed to see that this actually works. Its one of those improbable grafts that somehow defies the odds. I never would have suspected that these two would make a long lasting plant.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:34:17 AM »
Plantinyum, my suggestion on your grafting the seedling loquat is to make sure you don't cut the seedling to low on the plant. You want to leave at least one leaf node so the rootstock that was cut can grow back. If you cut it to low, you may not get another new leaf node or bud to come up and the seedling will die.

Robert, that looks neat grafted to quince, where do you get quince rootstock around here ? I should try that it sure looks like a minature loquat trees, all my trees and seedlings grow very tall (over 10 ft) pretty quickly. But I do have one multi-grafted tree that has all of my varieties now on one tree so I could get rid of the others if needed for space. Up to 62.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
Kaz, I just use sucker growth that comes off my quince tree.I'm liking this method more and more going to get all my seedling varieties that I like onto quince root stock much easier to take care of size wise!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
Plantinyum, my suggestion on your grafting the seedling loquat is to make sure you don't cut the seedling to low on the plant. You want to leave at least one leaf node so the rootstock that was cut can grow back. If you cut it to low, you may not get another new leaf node or bud to come up and the seedling will die.

Robert, that looks neat grafted to quince, where do you get quince rootstock around here ? I should try that it sure looks like a minature loquat trees, all my trees and seedlings grow very tall (over 10 ft) pretty quickly. But I do have one multi-grafted tree that has all of my varieties now on one tree so I could get rid of the others if needed for space. Up to 62.
thanks for the tip, I will cut them in the center, so they will have around 3-4 leaves and nodes ,from which I hope they will branch out ...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »
Plantinyum, yes that is good to cut there. But remember that the top half of your cut (scion side) needs to be a firm branch, can't be soft when you put it between your fingers and flex it. If its to soft, you need to wait until it gets older and is firm to be used as scion.

CitrusFanatic

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
What? Loquat can be grafted to quince? Would it be possible to take an apple or pear tree and graft loquat to it?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »
Plantinyum, yes that is good to cut there. But remember that the top half of your cut (scion side) needs to be a firm branch, can't be soft when you put it between your fingers and flex it. If its to soft, you need to wait until it gets older and is firm to be used as scion.
thanks again, the scions will not be perfect for grafting , they are thin by my standards , thought are hardened and are not tender new growths . I will try my best when I work with them in a few days from now.

What? Loquat can be grafted to quince? Would it be possible to take an apple or pear tree and graft loquat to it?
I think someone above mentioned that loquat is inter graftable with apple also. For the pear I thing u should first graft quince on loquat and then graft the pear to the quince. Not sure about this tough ....

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
[/quoteo,
No,Loquat will not graft to Apple or Pear the only way is if you had quince tree then grafted apple to one branch the pear to another and so on and so forth!Y you can through a Medlar onto that magical tree too!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:33:36 PM by ScottR »

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
That is interesting! I'd never thought that could work.
How is the blooming behavior of the loquat when the tree goes into dormacy in October?
And are the fruits growing on a quince rootstock going to ripe out in summer?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »
[/quoteo,
No,Loquat will not graft to Apple or Pear the only way is if you had quince tree then grafted apple to one branch the pear to another and so on and so forth!Y you can through a Medlar onto that magical tree too!

actually I grafted 5 medlar scions onto a strong apple rootstock , 4 of which have dramatically swelled buds .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:59:58 PM by Plantinyum »

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 06:34:14 PM »
All the tree's I have purchased (Medlars) have been on quince rootstock! I don't know if long term medlar will growon apple, what kind of apple did you graft to?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 01:35:26 AM »
All the tree's I have purchased (Medlars) have been on quince rootstock! I don't know if long term medlar will growon apple, what kind of apple did you graft to?
I do not know the variety of the tree, it is some kind of a late ripening variety . I know that the scions may die afterwards but still are starting good at this point

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
Finally I have a use for all the suckers coming into my yard from the neighbor's flowering quince! Loquat "groundcover"!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 02:08:21 AM »
Yesterday I grafted the 12 quince rootstocks. I ended up using most scions from my bigger loquat plant ,and decapitated only 3 seedlings. The grafts I did were 10 clefts and 2 bark ones. I wrapped them first with grafting parafilm and then with white electrical tape. Placed the plants in shade .
5 of the grafts were branch tips , the others stems with leaves which were cut, hopefully they sprout from the dormant buds under the petioles.....

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
Keep us posted would like to know how non-tip growth scions worked best of luck on your grafts. 8)

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 02:32:00 PM »
Keep us posted would like to know how non-tip growth scions worked best of luck on your grafts. 8)
thanks , I will post when and if I see movement in the scions, hopefully some of them take ...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 01:00:45 PM »
Robert, just got my quince bareroot order online. I will experiment with loquat grafted on these so I can have some dwf trees of my favorite ones. Thanks for the suggestion on quince.