Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 268168 times)

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1425 on: October 25, 2020, 08:17:17 PM »
What gallon size tree would you recommend that I get. What is the point of diminishing returns? With mangoes I feel anything over 15 gallons is counterproductive. I found a 25 gallon red but would need a go fund me page.lol
Seriously I could do that if I could justify it in my mind because I've never ever paid that much for any tree.
Tete Nene Julie Little Gem Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS Phoenix Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 25, 2020, 11:11:31 PM »
Jaboticaba grower James Farwell claims that Plinia cauliflora (Otto Andersen) Açu Paulista fruits in four years. I have never heard Adam Shafran mention that it is that precocious only that it is difficult to keep alive due to being very particular about its pH requirements. I have never had a problem growing it, since I water all my jaboticabas exclusively with harvested rainwater. Mine are growing at such a slow rate that I find it difficult to believe they will fruit in four years, unless they fruit at a small size. Farwell also claims that a couple of varieties he sells called Plinia phitrantha “Giant Red Crystal” and Plinia Phitrantha “Red Lantern” fruit in four years, but I understand that these are very recent introductions to the US and not many growers here have much of a track record growing them. They are out of my plant buying price range, as well.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: Today at 12:25:53 AM »
I use good old Tuscaloosa municipal water on a daily basis and have never had any issues.

Kevin Jones

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: Today at 01:04:28 AM »
I use good old Tuscaloosa municipal water on a daily basis and have never had any issues.

Kevin Jones

My municipal water is quite hard, and I have seen the mineral build-up on my clay pots from even relatively short-term use. I have joked that I could bludgeon someone to death by pouring a couple of glasses of water on them.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: Today at 10:03:58 AM »
They use calcium to neutralize the naturally acidic water. What is basically industrial bleach to help sanitize it and fluoride of course.
Our water source is from Lake Tuscaloosa.

Kevin Jones

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers