Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: RootMaker RootBuilder 2 / II Expandable Container for Side-Yard Avocado Project  (Read 7293 times)

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Hi Kris, sure I do.  I've been babying them all season, though they really didn't set any viable fruit this round.  But as is the usual, the trees look best about this time of year before the cold snaps hit.  I'll aim to take some pictures of the five RootBuilder bound trees to show their progress.  Their size is impressive, on most (ignoring the weeping Holiday).  How are your trees fairing?

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I've lost most of my trees. Only one that is pushing growth is my stewart. Mexicola looked good for most of the summer then just roasted that last 100+ heatwave we had. Hopefully my guava and papayas will help shade that area next year but I'm probably only going to replace one plant, I'm a lazy gardener...
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear about your losses.  That's a real bummer.  It's usual the cold that gets them not the heat.  I thought you were going to use Surround or something like that to protect the plants?  I still have a bunch if you want some.  Here's an updated set of pics from this morning (10/3/2019).  I recently top-dressed everything with worm-castings from my warm farm (mainly fed coffee-grinds).

Pinkerton (gets the most sunlight):

Sir Prize:

Holiday, drooping as always:

Stewart:

Lamb-Hass (the best looking of the bunch):

Lamb-Hass Close-up:

Holiday Close-up:

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
I also figure I might as well post updated pics of the three Avocado trees I transplanted to the front yard earlier (either this year or late last -- somehow I can't recall).  They had a hard go early on, but they've recovered well through the summer.  I hope they can weather the winter and come through next Spring to set (and hold) a lot of fruit.  Each tree has fruited a bit previously while in pots, but they dropped all fruit after the transplant this Spring.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Trees are looking amazing well done.  Yard looks tidy too, I bet the neighbors will be jealous of your trees.  Not a lot of people around there with their own avocado trees. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Hi Brad, nice to hear from you.  Thank for the kind words.  I just hope the trees can survive the winter and produce.  I always enjoy following your posts.  All the best.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
I've lost most of my trees. Only one that is pushing growth is my stewart. Mexicola looked good for most of the summer then just roasted that last 100+ heatwave we had. Hopefully my guava and papayas will help shade that area next year but I'm probably only going to replace one plant, I'm a lazy gardener...

were you fertilizing your plants during summer? its a recipe for disaster if you fertilize during summer heat wave in dry California climate.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Trees were painted and covered in surround. Stewart still had some burn but is pushing growth. Mexicola and reed seedling couldn't handle it.
Probably my fault for planting them so late in the season. I hope to replant one earlier in the spring next season. I also learned to never order directly from four wind growers. I received a fuerte from them that died within two weeks of receiving it and all they would offer me is 50% off and I had to pay shipping again.

Trees did not receive any fertilizer, just mulch. Mine were on an elevated sand and dirt pile I hauled in by the truck.
-Kris

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Ditto z_willu_d, place looks amazing!

Trees were painted and covered in surround. Stewart still had some burn but is pushing growth. Mexicola and reed seedling couldn't handle it.
Probably my fault for planting them so late in the season. I hope to replant one earlier in the spring next season. I also learned to never order directly from four wind growers. I received a fuerte from them that died within two weeks of receiving it and all they would offer me is 50% off and I had to pay shipping again.

Trees did not receive any fertilizer, just mulch. Mine were on an elevated sand and dirt pile I hauled in by the truck.

Yeah am really sorry but this doesn't make sense.  We have heat, lots of it.  In fact we had a very weak "cold" front move thru yesterday afternoon and when I checked on the greenhouse it was 110F.  I didn't have my fans going.  It's hit 112F this summer and most daily temps were 100F + especially in July.  Trees are fine.

Are you giving them enough water in respect to your sandy soil structure and how is the water quality?  My citrus really started looking stressed out until I really upped up my watering.  However, our water quality is the pits with bicarbs of Ca and Mg thru the roof.  TDS is like 800 ppm at times.  Rains stopped (we're in a drought now) so I had to resort to well water rather than rain as I ran out of the latter.  Surprisingly they are fine.  FWIW, most of my trees are on Florida pits which have W. Indies genes in them, those big fat watery greenies.  I've tried a lot of rootstocks but nothing is a better match for our well water or imparts more vigor than Florida pits seedlings.

My Reed can take all the heat you throw at it. Here's a list of avocado varieties that take heat well during a SoCal heatwave.
http://gregalder.com/yardposts/heat-tolerance-of-avocado-varieties/

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers