Author Topic: Mike's broadleaf papaya  (Read 9075 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Mike's broadleaf papaya
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »
Growing well , over 2 meters now , flowering and flowering but no fruit-set .

And while we're in the papayas , is there such a thing as a " purple papaya " ? Some guy gave the seeds to my son at the nursery asking if we would start them for him, 1/2 the plants would be ours , so now I am sitting there with hundreds of " purple papaya " seedlings . He picked up his 1/2 . Personally I think I got screwed out of nursery bags , labor and soil .....hahahahaha....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Mike's broadleaf papaya
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
luc I have said it a few times but the bisex broadleaf papayas produce more,sweeter and larger fruit sooner than the females and the stems are more purple.The initial seeds I sent around were from a female fruit and the bisex seeds sent around later should produce more bisex offspring.I hope there has been no inter-papaya hanky panky and they grow true.

Some people call papuela, purple papaya even if it is a different species.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
I am not complaining Mike , they will set fruit eventually ...I went trough the orchard today making notes of new trees flowering , several Campomanesia , Cupuasu etc...and since I have not posted in a while I thought I'd mention the broad leaf has been flowering for 2 seasons ...

Googling the papuela came up with a not so legal plant ......do you have a scientific name for this papuela , it really looks like a regular papaya I mean the plants that grew from the seeds they gave us .
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:26:09 PM by luc »
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:25 PM »

My biggest is about 1ft now. I generally plant them out at about 1m. I've pulled out a couple of meh ones to make space for Mike's. I can't wait to taste the fruit, papaya is a personal favorite of mine.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »
Luc I mean what you would call papayuelo and in particular the burgundy and purple fruited types.Carica goudotia I think before the identity crisis.Starling for taste, solos and bisex reds like skybury reds are hard to beat but they don't go as well in the subtropics.
I understand from some folk's feedback that the seeds have grown papaya with broad leaves but not all have the dark leaf stalks like the mother tree.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:38:59 AM »
Mine is 3ft and flowering. Foliage is very broad leaved and leaf stems are very red. Leaves are a lot more droopy than the one I saw at your place Mike. I'm going to bury a cache of potash near the trunk to try to get fruit early. For the subtropics the Southern Red is better, but this one is very good and a gorgeous plant.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
have 3 seedlings in the same 10 gal pot...one is much larger than others...looks like it's a bisexer....so hopefully it makes nice fruits just like the parent.

I'm taking action to propagating it now, with the foliage alone it's an easy sale!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Saff no dark leaf stalks on that one like most. For some weird reason most of the seedlings I had from the bisex parent had very dark petioles and red veins in the leaves but plants grown from seeds I sent away are routinely green petioled.Maybe the seeds sent away were retrieved from a fruit that was outcrossed. It is looking bisex alright.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
Saff no dark leaf stalks on that one like most. For some weird reason most of the seedlings I had from the bisex parent had very dark petioles and red veins in the leaves but plants grown from seeds I sent away are routinely green petioled.Maybe the seeds sent away were retrieved from a fruit that was outcrossed. It is looking bisex alright.

have you tasted the fruits from broad leaf papayas with green leaf stalks?

maybe just seedling variation?

seems like the leaf is so unusual, that it will have the same characteristics as the mother tree, regardless of leaf color...but I'm just guessing...I remember u said they're variable?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Growing well , over 2 meters now , flowering and flowering but no fruit-set .

And while we're in the papayas , is there such a thing as a " purple papaya " ? Some guy gave the seeds to my son at the nursery asking if we would start them for him, 1/2 the plants would be ours , so now I am sitting there with hundreds of " purple papaya " seedlings . He picked up his 1/2 . Personally I think I got screwed out of nursery bags , labor and soil .....hahahahaha....

Luc I have a variety called 'red Queen' which is not self pollinating and gets kind of magenta flesh. Wouldn't really call it a true purple.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
Magenta flesh starling? That sounds unusual.
Saff I have only eaten the fruit from bisex broadleaf plants with very dark petioles. I gave a fruit to the source who only has females and he said those from my tree were far more elongate,had deeper orange flesh and tasted sweeter. Hopefully the gene for nice fruit isn't carried together with the dark petiole gene.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
Magenta flesh starling? That sounds unusual.
Saff I have only eaten the fruit from bisex broadleaf plants with very dark petioles. I gave a fruit to the source who only has females and he said those from my tree were far more elongate,had deeper orange flesh and tasted sweeter. Hopefully the gene for nice fruit isn't carried together with the dark petiole gene.

I'm being pretty generous with that description. Its just has a lot more purple in the red than I've seen in others. It isn't bisex and is a very long way from the purple colour of dragonfruit for example.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »
Adam it's getting dark but I'll race out and take a pic of what the papaya looks like now.

Adam here is a low side branch showing the sea urchin look from the leaf stalks. It is in a windy spot and the flying foxes have scratched it up. I suspect you seeds did not come from this individual but rather a female that the original seeds were from. People seem entranced by this plant and stop and stare.

The veins don't look as red in the pic

The leaves are a bit banged around way up there but the fruit must range up to 10lbs.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
Mike, that is one beautiful papaya tree. Well done!!!

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
Here our broadleaf papayas in Hawaii.  Mahalo Mike T!
Can't wait to try the fruits.  The leaves are huge.  They sure do love the horse poop.  Poopayas neigh!

Sorry bout the side wards pics..can someone teach me how to turn the pics.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:42:40 PM by micah »

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
 And Here is our top papayas around hea, from my friend from?  He said they were GMO free...so yummy.  I hope the broadleaf taste even better.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
I love those Hawaiians Micah , had a few growing and they sold very well at the farmers market , after finding out that ALL Hawaiians are GMO I got rid of them , kinda regret it now , they were delicious ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
I love those Hawaiians Micah , had a few growing and they sold very well at the farmers market , after finding out that ALL Hawaiians are GMO I got rid of them , kinda regret it now , they were delicious ...
Aloha Luc, I think u did the right thing by cutting them out.  This one in pic and the others we had are very tasty.  Some have a perfume like flavor in a good way.  The one in pic has a coconut flavor in there.
This papaya is a from Thailand area...my friend made sure to get Non GMO varieties .  Heck NO to GMO.  It's the second generation on our farm.. So there is a possibility it is now crossed...but we were sure to cut all the old papaya in our area when first outplanting the good types.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »

When it comes to taste the papayas derived from solos and called improved solos (not really solos but descendants) are hard to beat and they are not GMO. The broadleafed fruit is not quite as sweet as these and are better in summer. They are on par with many standard bisex reds. The female broadleaf fruit from what has been reported to me are only average.
Micah it is looking healthy and the leaf stalk pigment and leaf veins will deepen in pigment also.I remember some forumites saying 'that ain't no papaya' when I first posted pix of them.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
Yes it looks like a candlenut leaf.  So far our horses haven't noticed what they are.  They love papaya trees..if they break in to orchard.  first they go for eating the ti leaf, then papaya tree, then banana.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »
Crawl up and pick broadleaf papaya
Thanks again Mike!
The slug was going to Broadway on it.
This one was opened a bit too early, still trying to figure the best time to cut open.6pounds 8 ounces

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Here our broadleaf papayas in Hawaii.  Mahalo Mike T!
Can't wait to try the fruits.  The leaves are huge.  They sure do love the horse poop.  Poopayas neigh!

Sorry bout the side wards pics..can someone teach me how to turn the pics.

One of mine looks like yours Micah (I have 3).  :)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
Wow!! Beautyful tree Micah! The leaves are so big! and your little princess is adorable! Thanks for such a beautyful pics; and please let us know about the flavor; mines are about a feeth high now...
El verde es vida!

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
Here's mine.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
Nice Galka, I noticed some of our ones have that lighter stem on them...then some have very purple stems...have not tried the purple stem type yet. Yours look like they are ready to go in the ground!

Thanks Raul, he is a little prince...we let his hair grow out for a bit...a natural mullet hairstyle. :)
This one was one day too early to eat...but it was still excellent...comparable to our other papaya types we grow.  It had a slight perfume smell to it, and a fruity flavor...lots to eat!