Author Topic: Strawberry Guava  (Read 13338 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Strawberry Guava
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Anyone growing Strawberry or pineapple guava? I have an oppurtunity to pick up very healthy strawberry guava and/or pineapple guava tree from Lowes. Wondering how the fruit tastes like.

anyone?

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry Guava
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »
I have both, but no fruit yet.  I can tell you I've had a couple of fruits from my lemon guava which I enjoyed very much.

James
James

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
The one at Lowes was loaded with flowers and fruits, I will pick one up today, for $19/5 gallon 5' tall very bushy plant, its not bad at all.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
I've grown strawberry guava..Its all right..better than the large guava type..It does get fruit flies though...If you have the room might as well try it...only you can decide taste

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
I also have them both! They are very delicious! ;) ;) ;) The main problem with them...Fruit flies >:(

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »
Geez i wish my lowes would carry that. for only 19 bucks can't go wrong!

-Luke

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
I know. and I have not seen plants as healthy as these every. I also got a Red Malaysian Guava from this Lowes last week.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
My favorite way to eat the Strawberry guavas...I chop the fruit, add sugar and let it to rest for atleast 8 hours! Whip some cream!!!!
YUMMY ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
The strawberry guavas taste good but here it can be difficult to find them without 'worms'.

They are also considered invasive.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
In Southern California the fruit flies are not as much of a problem. I am growing Strawberry guavas in containers, they are very tasty especially when they ripen in the heat of the summer.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
I've been tempted to get the Strawberry Guava's at Lowe's as well. I have a friend who got one a few months and just got her first ripe fruit. She said it was very good, although small size fruit (size of a quarter). I have a Lemon Guava that puts out small tasty fruit. In CA I don't think we'll have as many worm/fruit fly problems as the FLA guys.

Does anyone know if they set better fruit with a cross pollinator?

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »

It's not scientific, but the ones growing here in Colorado with no chance of cross-pollination seem to set fruit just as heavily as ones I've seen in Florida and Hawaii.  They even set heavy fruit crops in greenhouses with no access to insect pollinators and no hand-pollination.

Kevin

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
Hi,

I have a little strawberry guava tree in a pot. It's been fruiting for a few years now. I think the fruit is OK but nothing sensational. Thanks for the recipe Jackfruitwhisperer69! I may try that next time.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

It's not scientific, but the ones growing here in Colorado with no chance of cross-pollination seem to set fruit just as heavily as ones I've seen in Florida and Hawaii.  They even set heavy fruit crops in greenhouses with no access to insect pollinators and no hand-pollination.

Kevin

No the cattley guavas don't need cross pollination. I remember growing them in southern Cal. and they did very well in a pot against a wall with a trellis. There i though it was the cat's meow, here they are just an invasive weed. I still like them though though i spent many years of my life trying to remove them from this land, and kept one giant yellow one in my orchard. Great in smoothies or even out of hand. The govt. here  is not all to pleased with this plant and wants to nuke them out of existence. I'm guessing this plant will be here long after all these silly officials are long dead.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
If you like large hard seeds from a tiny guavas, then strawberry guavas will work out fine for you.  To me, Pineapple guavas seem sweeter with better flavor and much more enjoyable, on top of that, there's MUCH more to enjoy compared to the former.  But that's just me  ;D
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
If you like large hard seeds from a tiny guavas, then strawberry guavas will work out fine for you.  To me, Pineapple guavas seem sweeter with better fla
vor and much more enjoyable, on top of that, there's MUCH more to enjoy compared to the former.  But that's just me  ;D

I like both but think they taste really different. Remember pineapple "guavas" are not really guavas. This is a whole different genus.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
guess what? Lowes had that strawberry guava in 5 gal for $22.99, they rang it for $15.99 and then I got another 10%, net net $14.5 plus tax. I think its a steel. it was blooming and very healthy 5' tall tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22:05 AM »
Lowe's here got big slap on the hand from invasive species groups for trying to sell strawberry guava, a plant that is considered the most noxious weed in all Hawaii and they sell it to unsuspecting buyers? ::)
Oscar

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Oscar aren't they fighting over introducing a foreign scale type insect to attack these trees? Sounds like a bad idea IMO, curious to your opinion and whether that idea is dead or not....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:38 AM »
Oscar aren't they fighting over introducing a foreign scale type insect to attack these trees? Sounds like a bad idea IMO, curious to your opinion and whether that idea is dead or not....

Yes the govt. here want to introduce a type of scale that makes galls on the SG trees and keeps them from fruiting. I think it's a very bad idea mostly because i don't think they know with certainly that this scale will not jump to other species when it's done with the SG. The idea is very much alive and i'm afraid the govt. will ram it through, though a lot of people here are opposed to it. SG has been here already for 165 years and so a lot of people are fond of it, accustomed to it.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:16 AM »
I also have them both! They are very delicious! ;) ;) ;) The main problem with them...Fruit flies >:(

Same problem here - the fruit flies are not infesting them in the beginning of the season, only the last half. Or more likely - I have not noticed the small larvae when chewing on them the first half of the season  ::)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:51 AM »
Hi,

I have a little strawberry guava tree in a pot. It's been fruiting for a few years now. I think the fruit is OK but nothing sensational. Thanks for the recipe Jackfruitwhisperer69! I may try that next time.

Tomas

Hi Tomas,
this recipe was originally for strawberries! But, can be done with any firm berry...blue berries, raspberries or in this case strawberry guavas!

I forgot the most important...put them in the fridge...the sugar will dissolva with the juices from fruit, making a nice red syrup!
Fantastic dessert for them hot days ;) ;) ;)
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:56 AM »

Same problem here - the fruit flies are not infesting them in the beginning of the season, only the last half. Or more likely - I have not noticed the small larvae when chewing on them the first half of the season  ::)

Hej Søren :),

the fruit from July onwards are full of worms >:(  I really don't mind some worms in the fruit...you cannot tell the difference in taste! they taste exactly like the fruit ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 06:31:33 AM »
I agree - in fact some insects are considered a delicacy here in Uganda, and taste very nice like these fried grasshoppers (with onions). However, I do prefer them and not the larvae of fruit flies.

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
Is it true that in Africa they eat the grubs and throw away the fruit? HAHA
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk