Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Urgent Mexican (pure heritage) Avocado propagation question  (Read 106 times)

850FL

• North Fl 8b/9a border zone
    • View Profile
Urgent Mexican (pure heritage) Avocado propagation question
« on: September 18, 2020, 03:26:27 PM »
Damn Sally squashed two of my Mexican avocados. One is a Joey, the other Fantastic. I might as well use 18+ ft of avocado wood to propagate. However, all I have for rootstocks are seedling hass and I suck at grafting avocados anyway. Do I stand a chance rooting these varieties up from cuttings? I’ve gotten callouses from small branches of a Lula or Lila once in the past.. never could root a hass cutting or even callous one though. And definitely no experience with taking cuttings from pure Mexican lineages...?? Any help greatly appreciated

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent Mexican (pure heritage) Avocado propagation question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
I was thinking about you
How are you doing? I hope you weren't effected too bad by the
hurricane??? Are you in the dark?

I have never heard of rooting avodado cuttings. I know someone who
air layers them regularily. Do veneer grafts and if they don't take you still have
the root stock? Eventually you'll get the hang of grafting And maybe I will too.

850FL

• North Fl 8b/9a border zone
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent Mexican (pure heritage) Avocado propagation question
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Hey Mike! How you doin bud?! Honestly was a bit embarrassed to get back with you, a  good number of those dream seeds damped off because I stuck em in peat in the shade.. and forgot about em for a while lol, my fault! The survivors are doin good though.
Well my aptment is fine, I was one of the very lucky spots that never really got an outage (our lines are underground here 😏
BUT up at the property like 5 pines got downed and squashed some of my avocados, and the winds knocked down all 6 big leyland cypress and 3 big willows, so we’ve been busy working on gettin all that straightened up. Oh yeah and Sally snapped my biggest queen palms! I was a bit down about that, but I think she’ll survive, and honestly the first thing I did when I saw the property was bust out laughing LOL

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers