Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: What kind of water pump should I invest in?  (Read 3403 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of water pump should I invest in?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »

Mark, i'm about to install my own system. Why did you downsize on your pump?

Did not need the HP.  3/4 HP provides more than enough for high demand stuff like my turf irrigation pop-ups and I have large yards, like 10,000 s.f.

What demands do you have?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
I just started planting, but my long-term goal is 2-3 acres of nut trees (chestnut, walnut, etc), 1 acre of experimental subtropicals, 2 acres of stonefruits/apples and a small greenhouse. And a small house. 10 year project, so I don't know if i build the pump for that or just to get me through the first 5 years.

I'm leaning towards 15-18 gpm right now and vacillating between a constant pressure pump and a traditional setup with a 5000g tank.
Shane

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
Shane, if you are really going to put in a house, you should check what the rules are for water tanks.  I think houses need 7500 gal tanks for fire fighting.  You don't want to go put in a 5000 gal tank and then have to get a bigger one later. 

Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
Shane, if you are really going to put in a house, you should check what the rules are for water tanks.  I think houses need 7500 gal tanks for fire fighting.  You don't want to go put in a 5000 gal tank and then have to get a bigger one later.

Good point. Looks like i need 5000 for a house < 1500sf. So i probably would need to go 7500 to guarantee 5000 for the FD. Also there are some requirements about location i wasn't aware of. Might need two tanks...
Shane

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 01:15:55 PM »
Have you explored a RAM pump. Might have different name in Europe. Cheap to build, no electricity, carries water up hill and at distance.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
I just started planting, but my long-term goal is 2-3 acres of nut trees (chestnut, walnut, etc), 1 acre of experimental subtropicals, 2 acres of stonefruits/apples and a small greenhouse. And a small house. 10 year project, so I don't know if i build the pump for that or just to get me through the first 5 years.

I'm leaning towards 15-18 gpm right now and vacillating between a constant pressure pump and a traditional setup with a 5000g tank.

I have the Grundfos 1 HP for my Xmas tree op, like 3,000 trees on drippers. Rows 8', trees 6'.  It was more than enough. I figured my output around 18 gpm.  I could open up one of the 600' 1/2 inch poly pipe and shoot a stream 30'.  Trust me, that's what you want.

No tank is needed except for the 2 gal. one that you T off in line being it's a closed system IF it's for your house and the other stuff.  (Not open like in a city)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:16:43 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Have you explored a RAM pump. Might have different name in Europe. Cheap to build, no electricity, carries water up hill and at distance.

Who wants to build a pump?  They're cheap, well designed, carry a warranty and come in a 100 flavors.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers