Author Topic: Litchi Toxin May Give Rise to Mysterious Epidemic in India  (Read 5614 times)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Litchi Toxin May Give Rise to Mysterious Epidemic in India
« on: January 30, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/world/asia/litchi-toxin-may-give-rise-to-mysterious-epidemic-in-india-inquiry-finds.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

NEW DELHI — An intensive investigation of a mysterious annual epidemic in northern India in which thousands of young children suffer convulsions, lapse into comas and die has concluded that a toxin found in litchi fruit may be the cause.

“We believe it’s likely to be some sort of toxin” that causes a sharp drop in blood sugar levels that then leads to seizures, said Dr. Padmini Srikantiah, one of the authors of a description of the investigation in this week’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a publication of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States.

Investigators are testing a variety of possible poisons as catalysts for the malady, including pesticides and heavy metals. But the region is India’s litchi center, and the epidemic occurs every year just as the fruit ripen. So a toxin found in litchi seeds has become a focus of further testing, Dr. Srikantiah, a senior epidemiologist with the American agency, said on Thursday.

The affected children begin arriving every year in mid-May, brought to overburdened hospitals in one of India’s most impoverished areas by panic-stricken mothers who generally report that their young children, healthy just hours before, awoke with a scream in the middle of the night, suffered convulsions and then became unconscious.

Although public health statistics are often unreliable in India, the mysterious illness is believed to afflict tens of thousands of people a year and kill thousands.

The first reports of the disease date to 1995, when nearly 1,000 children were sickened and 300 died in the three hospitals in Muzaffarpur in Bihar State. Smaller epidemics have followed almost every year since, and similar outbreaks have been reported in litchi-growing regions of Bangladesh and Vietnam.

Doctors work to calm the convulsions and keep the stricken children hydrated, but they then have to watch helplessly along with the anguished parents as a third of their young patients die, often within hours. Then, as suddenly as it started, the outbreak stops with the onset of the monsoon rains in July.

The newly reported investigation, led by Indian epidemiologists with assistance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has given doctors another tool by suggesting they quickly assess the children’s blood sugar levels and provide intravenous glucose if levels are too low.

The hope is that further testing will definitively reveal whether the litchi toxin is the cause and perhaps help find an antidote. Why the sickened youths’ siblings and immediate neighbors are so rarely affected is still unknown.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Litchi Toxin May Give Rise to Mysterious Epidemic in India
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
That is a shame, must be from young children over indulging themselves with lychee fruit. Maybe they are eating small parts of the seed as well?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:49:27 PM »
That is a shame, must be from young children over indulging themselves with lychee fruit. Maybe they are eating small parts of the seed as well?

Good question.  Are the seeds toxic?

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
its the stuff their spraying on them, they use pesticides and fertilizers that were banned by many countries and just buy it cheap. Some places they over spray and over fertilize that causes the trees to bloom faster and more quantity and the trees die in a couple years. sketchy.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »

Good question.  Are the seeds toxic?

I always assumed they might be? I was not thinking the pesticide and questionable input angle, this actually sounds more plausible to the cause. A lot of pesticides are known to cause neurological damage, especially with young children.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
NEW DELHI — An intensive investigation of a mysterious annual epidemic in northern India in which thousands of young children suffer convulsions, lapse into comas and die has concluded that a toxin found in litchi fruit may be the cause.

Dosis facit venenum.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »
I would guess that it is from toxicity in the seeds. Some of these kids might be accidentally swallowing seeds, especially immature chicken tongue seeds. If it were pesticides then the adults would also get sick.
"The lychee is a distant relative of the akee. Lychee seed contain parts of hypoglycins like those found in the akee. They, and presumably the seed of near lychee relatives, are toxic and should never be consumed." http://knowandenjoytropicalfruit.com/chapters/lychee-rambutan-longan/
The symptoms described in news report are very similar to ackee poisoning.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »
Oscar - while it may be from the seeds, dont you think young children would be more susceptible to reactions from pesticides /chemicals than an adult?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
Oscar - while it may be from the seeds, dont you think young children would be more susceptible to reactions from pesticides /chemicals than an adult?

Yes ofcourse children are more susceptible to effects of pesticide poisoning. But they are also more susceptible to effects of eating toxins in lychee seeds. Also even an adult if they eat a large enough quantity of either will also get sick.
Oscar

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »
This was in the news a lot last year. Sad thing is they are still unable to determine the exact cause for it. Since it does not happen to all kids I'm suspecting that it is from a particular area or crop.

Hope it doesn't happen this year. Lychee season is just 3 months away. :(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:17 AM »
Biggest lychee growing area in India is the state of Bihar. This is the most impoverished area of all of India. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids there thought that throwing the seeds away is a big waste of good food.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 03:18:07 AM »
We had this discussion here before about eating pulasan seeds.

Asians eat them and i won't be surprised if they also eat big quantity's of them.

India is so unhygienic that everything is possible there. More then half of the Indians never go to a toilet to name something, they don't even have one.

Mango's also can't be eaten unripe, i just ate one and it was great and i feel great.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:05:48 AM »

Asians eat them and i won't be surprised if they also eat big quantity's of them.

India is so unhygienic that everything is possible there. More then half of the Indians never go to a toilet to name something, they don't even have one.

Mango's also can't be eaten unripe, i just ate one and it was great and i feel great.

Where'd you hear that mangoes can't be eaten unripe? There's at least a dozen entire cultivars designed to be eaten unripe - Keow Savoey, for example. There's nothing wrong with eating unripe mangoes.

Perhaps you're mixing up "shouldn't eat unripe" with "shouldn't eat the skin". The skin contains urushiol in varying quantities, and long term exposure to urushiol carries the risk of allergic sensitivity.

Anyway, back to the original article - the fact that this almost always happens exclusively to children really does suggest to me that the kids are eating something that you're not supposed to (such as seeds). Yes, children are more sensitive to many toxins than adults (even if only due to their lower body mass in many cases), but the fact that it virtually never happens to adults at all really points at something that kids are doing that adults aren't. The toxicity profile seems reasonable for seed consumption (rapid progression from healthy -> vomiting -> convulsions -> coma -> death) - as Fruitlovers notes, many other members of the soapberry family, such as ackee, have poisonous seeds with similar symptoms (not all in the family have poisonous seeds - for example, pulusan and guarana - but many if not most in the family are toxic), kids are well known for eating seeds they're not supposed to... it just makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:36:41 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:26:57 AM »
 I hope your computer/tablet/smartphone explodes so you can't continue to make nonsensical statements.

JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk