Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 40387 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
Ok, right....i thought you would mention the self-fertile quality of the Sunflower.

I think there is some doubt as to whether it truly is self-fertile. That could be part of the issue with the fruits failing.
They got a bit big, so i think it is self-fertile...

Triloba Tracker

• Rom. 1:20
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Good deal! You may prove once and for all if itís  true :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
Just hope so!  ;)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
Here is the bigest forum about pawpaw on Europe: http://www.kiwiforum.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »

I thought my pawpaw was just setting buds for the spring, but this one definitely looks like it's opening now. This tree flowered this spring as well, though only three flowers. Is this normal, and if not, does anyone know why? The spring flowers didn't set fruit.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »

I thought my pawpaw was just setting buds for the spring, but this one definitely looks like it's opening now. This tree flowered this spring as well, though only three flowers. Is this normal, and if not, does anyone know why? The spring flowers didn't set fruit.

I donít know - thatís interesting.
I can only speculate that perhaps the tree is confused by a lack of chill hours this past winter....?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »
I got them this spring, so I can't say for sure whether they got chill hours last winter, but I'm pretty confident they did.  That one was the biggest and had tiny buds on it, which opened after I planted it. The weather's been cooling off so I think the trees are less stressed, and I did just give them a thin layer of chicken manure, so I can understand why it might seem like a good time to flower if I were a tree, but I didn't think it could just flower whenever. Also it's on this year's growth, so technically this section of the tree didn't get chill hours. Or maybe it doesn't work that way. I don't think I'll get to see if it can hold fruit over the winter though, since this is the only one flowering.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
One of my pawpaws apears to have been eaten by insects which is a bit strange since I thought insects mostly left pawpaws alone due to the compounds in the leaves
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:59:26 PM by coyote »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »
That stinks!
Well, generally they are pretty free from major pests, but yes there are definitely things that eat the leaves.
I donít know what they are but there are little ďwormsĒ that look like tiny twigs that eat the leaves. These can be very hard to find and kill but they like to sometimes dangle off leaves and stems.

Also there are leaf rollers that will roll up parts of leaves with webbing and emerge to eat leaves.

The most well known pawpaw leaf eater is the zebra swallowtail butterfly larva. However, in 3 years growing pawpaws, Iíve never seen one. In the woods Iíve only ever seen one of these caterpillars.

I had similar idea that pawpaws were basically immune, based on things Iíd read. But theyíre glossing over the truth a bit. I think what these publications are trying to convey is there are no MAJOR pest issues. Like, the things listed above generally are just annoyances, not doing significant damage.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
The leaf rollers/branch webbers do cause major damage.  I observed this in northeastern Alabama.
Har

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the responses...so far only one out of 12 seedling trees is being attacked and I see no sign of a current infestation so I'm just going to roll with it unless I see issues again next year
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:17:26 AM by coyote »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »
The leaf rollers/branch webbers do cause major damage.  I observed this in northeastern Alabama.

I stand corrected. And by way of pure coincidence, a friend in Indiana just mentioned he has "Asimina Web Worm" infestation in a couple of his healthiest trees.
So yes there can be pest and disease issues for sure - don't believe some of the hype that these are miracle trees.
Actually there is a buzz happening this year around pawpaws coming down with Black Spot fungus (like on roses), which seems like a new phenomenon. In fact, some of my young trees got it.
But it's nothing like trying to grow Peaches in Tennessee, where you have to spray constantly for hope of any harvest.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15345.0

In this older thread I see TriangleJohn reported a branch re-flowering in the fall. So, I guess this is not without precedent. Very interesting.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
I just got my new book about asimina triloba: In search about America forgotten fruit. Great book it seams!  ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
I just got my new book about asimina triloba: In search about America forgotten fruit. Great book it seams!  ;D

Cool! Yeah itís pretty interesting. A lot of it is more like a travel blog but the author seems to have done a great deal of research and weaves that in.
The adventures of Neal Peterson are so intriguing!

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers