Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 47503 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
Cool, Luis!

Interesting that they are all single fruits, none are in clusters of multiple fruits.
Did you thin the clusters?
I think its because the sunflower its self polinating and only self polinated to make just one.With hand polination he would get more fruits from each flower.
Do you think so? It's the first time i get fruit... maby on next years i will get clusters...

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:46 PM »
@SeaWalnut: Thanks for sharing thoe great pictures of Sapranthus planga (Asimina foetida). Do you have this plant in your collection or know anyone who hae this? I would like to do Trials concerning crossings with Asimina trioba. Dried pollen or seeds would be great. On the other side I would be able to send dried Asiminia Pollen or seeds to anyone who have Sapranthus palanga in his collection -for doing ..
pollination trials.
ĄMay your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.ď N. Mandela

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »
@ Luis,it made just one single fruit per flower because altough its selfpollinating,its not verry successfull at selfpolination.But with time it will make more flowers wich will atract polinators and it will make soo manny fruits like this tree in the video( its a sunflower,look at minute 4).https://youtu.be/Xi-4mgdUuuI
@ Usirius,i dont have any Saphranthus sp but i know one that sells seeds ( the only source).The seller doesnt have the  one thats caulyflorous i think( makes the fruits on the trunk),but i might be wrong.It caught my attention because its soo closely related to Asimina that it was called Asimina  and interesting crosses should be easyer to make.https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/270908
As for the cherimoya seedling i have,il take clear pictures and post them in your forum in a day or 2.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
@ Luis,it made just one single fruit per flower because altough its selfpollinating,its not verry successfull at selfpolination.But with time it will make more flowers wich will atract polinators and it will make soo manny fruits like this tree in the video( its a sunflower,look at minute 4).https://youtu.be/Xi-4mgdUuuI
@ Usirius,i dont have any Saphranthus sp but i know one that sells seeds ( the only source).The seller doesnt have the  one thats caulyflorous i think( makes the fruits on the trunk),but i might be wrong.It caught my attention because its soo closely related to Asimina that it was called Asimina  and interesting crosses should be easyer to make.https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/270908
As for the cherimoya seedling i have,il take clear pictures and post them in your forum in a day or 2.
WOW this video is really impressive! A lot of fruits in this tree! Thank's!

Triloba Tracker

• Rom. 1:20
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
First pawpaws of 2019!

Just picked today from trees in a city park. (Intentionally planted seedling trees)

Pretty early stuff.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:38:16 PM by Triloba Tracker »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:12 AM »
First pawpaws of 2019!

Just picked today from trees in a city park. (Intentionality planted seedling trees)

Pretty early stuff.

WOW! Soo soon! How lucky you are!   ::)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Finishing off these fruits today, I found that one of them had a faint but unmistakable floral flavor, specifically: violet.
I have encountered many subtle flavors in pawpaws like pineapple, butterscotch (distinct from caramel), cinnamon, melon, and even durian. But a floral flavor is a first for me.
The Peterson selection Tallahatchie is reported to have a floral flavor. I wonder if itís violet!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2019, 03:15:30 AM »
Finishing off these fruits today, I found that one of them had a faint but unmistakable floral flavor, specifically: violet.
I have encountered many subtle flavors in pawpaws like pineapple, butterscotch (distinct from caramel), cinnamon, melon, and even durian. But a floral flavor is a first for me.
The Peterson selection Tallahatchie is reported to have a floral flavor. I wonder if itís violet!
WOW! Pawpaw is soo interesting!   :P

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
WOW! Pawpaw is soo interesting!   :P

It really is.....every fruit tastes different, it seems. Even on the same tree or the same cluster, there can be differences. I don't have a lot of experience (i.e. over many seasons) comparing specific cultivars, but i wonder even if the cultivars truly maintain their purported flavors or if pawpaws will always be pretty variable (with a basic flavor baseline of course).
God allowing, I'll be able to observe my own trees over the years and i will have an answer to this question :)

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers