Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 39534 times)

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
Just had my first taste of "Australian" mulberry. The tree is barely 3ft tall and was dormant until the last maybe 6-7 weeks. Looking at google images they are similarly shaped  and ripe colored like "White Shahtoot". They were delicious. Very sweet and delicate with a hint of melon/cantaloupe. Got it from TopTropicals so who knows what it really is.

I got one hoping it is the Pakistan White.  I just got it.  It is a difficult one to find.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
Does anyone know the cold hardiness of "australian" mulberry?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
The Pakistan white mulberry when ripe has lavender vanilla and honey overtones with none of the tartness that mulberries typically have. That doesnít mean itís overly or sickly sweet, itís just a pleasantly distinctive flavor.

K

so does anyone have the white mulberry when ripe? how does it compare to the others?

fourseasonsflorida

• Where the subtropical and temperate meet...
    • USA, Florida, Titusville, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
What's the scientific name of Pakistan Mulberry? I guese it is not a variety of Morus nigra,

This looks to be a very information site: https://www.growingmulberry.org/selection

Morus macroura (Himalayan mulberry)

There are undoubtedly many different cultivars of Morus macroura in the US, but most are referred to as either white, red, or black 'Pakistan' or 'Shahtoot' (which translates from the Persian language as 'King Mulberry'), though some cultivars or hybrids of Morus alba are also called 'Pakistan' because they possess elongated fruit (or called Morus alba in error).
Nate

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers