Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Crocston grapefruits  (Read 979 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Crocston grapefruits
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »
My first Crocston crop; now just need to get ripe.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Crocston grapefruits
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
Interesting, i have been searching for a grapefruit to grow in my climate, wich looks too cold for citrus growing. I thought that Bloomsweet grapefruit and Oroblanco are my best bet, the first one for hardiness, the second one for the lack of acidity. I'm wondering: what are the strong point of croxton over those two for a cooler climate? Our climate should be pretty similar.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:37:28 PM by Pancrazio »
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade to get the following mango scions: Florigon/Rosa/Francis Hargrave. Avocado: Mexicola. Contact me in PM if interested.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
I've had bloomsweet; it is sweet like an orange, nothing like a grapefruit. Crocston is a pink grapefruit that tastes like grapefruit but originated in Columbia, SC and has been known to survive lows in the teens. I've heard of some that survived 14 degrees F without protection. I had 0 degrees for an entire evening several times the past two winters, so I have to protect my good citrus, other than citranges, with plastic covers and space heaters. I'm not zone 8.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »
Wow, that's look a promising grapefruit. Another one which needed to be addedd to my list. Thank you for your comments on them.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade to get the following mango scions: Florigon/Rosa/Francis Hargrave. Avocado: Mexicola. Contact me in PM if interested.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers