Author Topic: Air-Layer/Graft/Rooted Cutting of Genips/Lychees/Longon/etc  (Read 4549 times)

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
Hi,

I am interested if anybody knows which of the plants would fruit best in a pot, is most amenable to pruning, and what role the propogation technique might play?  I understand that air-layers are usually more spreading with a shallower root system so would that make them the best solution for a potted specimen?

Thanks,
Carraig

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Air-Layer/Graft/Rooted Cutting of Genips/Lychees/Longon/etc
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
Most lychee and longan are air-layered.  The only lychee I've seen grafted is the Emperor.  The genips I've seen available were mostly grafted.  Sheehan is more up to date on the genips.

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
Thanks!  Do they all fruit okay in pots?

-C

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »
My longan fruits nicely in the container and there are numerous folks fruiting lychee in containers and most of those are probably airlayered lychees.  There are certainly varieties of lychees that would do better in containers than others.  PIN has a nice lychee viewer with good descriptions.

Couldn't say about the genips.  I don't know of anyone here fruiting any...let alone in containers.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
Is there a minimum pot size for fruiting lychee? 15 gallon? Lycheeluva?
My 5 ft Hak Ip airlayer in a 3 gallon from a year ago is just barely holding on right now.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
Same container rules for any plant applies to lychees as well.  Never "up-pot" too big.  I have a Brewster the same way...ready to heave it across the yard.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »
Good to know. I mean is there a container size where you can keep the tree in indefinitely? I guess the roots and branches would need pruning back on some schedule.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
ya know...it can probably be done but I'm sure many would vote against it.  I imagine you'd have to be quite careful on the watering.  Would the mix break down before the roots ever reached it?  Lots of questions.  Some of my larger plants in the biggest containers I have get root pruned.  I will just dig down thru cutting out roots and soil both.  Replace that section with new soil mix.  I think it would be cool to secure the plant to a large tree limb, pull the container off, do the root pruning, then lower back down for replacement soil.  Easier on the back too.  Might try that next time!  Sure would be easier for very large plants in huge containers.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »
Fyliu - 5 ft lychee in 3 gallon container?  Sounds like time  to pot up to 7 gallon

Brad
Brad

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
Brad, I think you're right. I'll check again tomorrow. I switched to doing larger airlayers so they'll fruit sooner. The others worked well but this one was cut off too early so it took longer until I could step up from 1 gallon. Many flushes of new shoots were dried up because it couldn't absorb water, but it's been doing better recently which means more roots!

Fang