Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Flying Dragon Seedlings  (Read 1157 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Flying Dragon Seedlings
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
Flying Dragon seed can produce from 0 to 75 percent zygote seedlings. In my case it was 50 percent zygote, and 50 percent nucellar seedlings.
I got 18 trees from seed taken from the fruit.  Exactly 9 of the 18  seedling trees are growing in a very contorted and very dwarf growth habit. The other 9 trees are certainly showing trifoliate caricaturistics, however their growth shows some gnarling but is growing in a much more straight and tall manner.  The zygote seedlings are twice as high as that of the preferred Flying Dragon typical strain. I'll  keep the perfered strain, and toss the the others. - Millet

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Flying Dragon Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
This characteristic makes for an easy to reproduce true-to-type rootstock, but when you buy online from nurseries it is a somewhat more difficult rootstock to get... this is what happened to me.
A couple of years ago i did buy some FD from an online nursery with the idea to use it to graft some citrus i wanted to remain small.
I got 4 plants, they were nice and fairly priced, but their contorted stem weren't so exaggerated as i hoped; undoubtedly they were FD but, probably the seeds weren't nucellar (or they were nucellar of something that wasn't nucellar in the previous generation).
So, what i wanted to add is that when you want to get FD is better to pick your plant by hand so you can see the quality of the rootstock; especially if you hope for its dwarfing characteristics more than their cold hardiness. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade to get the following mango scions: Florigon/Rosa/Francis Hargrave. Avocado: Mexicola. Contact me in PM if interested.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Flying Dragon Seedlings
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »
Very interesting. If I posted a picture could you help differentiate my seedlings? I'll snap some later today.
-Josh

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers