Author Topic: Unknown cherimoya in neighbors yard! Self pollinating??  (Read 2312 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Unknown cherimoya in neighbors yard! Self pollinating??
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:26:16 AM »
Ok I need the help of you cherimoya enthusiasts out there. I stopped by my friends house today and discovered he had this cherimoya tree.  He had no idea what it was.  And he certainly didn't hand pollinate any flowers.  Yet there were 15-20 golf ball sized fruits.  Can anyone tell what kind of cherimoya this is?   Also Can Anyone explain why the fruit set without hand pollination?  I wasn't aware that the proper insects (beetle) lived in Hawaii and could do this.   Trying to figure out if this is a tree I should take Budwood from and do some grafts.

Thanks!

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown cherimoya in neighbors yard! Self pollinating??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:14:29 AM »
I looks like Booth an excellent variety. My booth sets fruits without HP I would definitely grab some wood if he's close to you.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »
I agree with Frank, looks exactly like my Booth.

Simon

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:25:18 PM »
HP is not strictly necessary, some cultivars are self-fertile and bear fruit also if alone.
Probably HP enhances the production, because this species has strange flowers, but I saw an  A. cherimoya tress with fruits in a place (south Italy) where plants were grown only as ornamental (not a grove or a private garden).

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
isnt it possible that it was pollinated by an insect ?
ants ?
or, perhaps a relative of the beetle that normally pollinates them ?
im certainly no expert in the matter, but i had read this below...

-------
In general, cherimoya flowers have been considered incapable of self-pollination and unattractive to pollinating insects. Ahmed (1936) reported that the flowers do not attract bees but stated: "Insects of the lady-bird type such as Coccinella sp. and Scymnus sp. have been observed to visit the flowers either in search for one of the preys such as aphis, or mealy-bugs or feeding on the pollen-grains.... Ants may also be responsible to a smaller extent." He also stated, "Under normal conditions, as in the home-forests of anonas the insect agency is sufficient. But under cultivation, it has been noticed that such agents may be very scarce or absent altogether, thus inducing very low fruit-setting or none." Wester (1910) concluded that nonproductiveness of cherimoyas was due to the scarcity of pollinating insects, but Schroeder (1971) stated that insects visited the flowers upon occasions

Considering the high cost of hand pollination, the fact that insects visit the flowers only occasionally, and that fruit set occurs in the natural home of cherimoya, other steps should be taken to improve the production and decrease costs. A search might be made for the particular species of insects responsible for the pollination of the plants in their native habitat. Attention might be given to selecting self-fertile cultivars. An immediate step might be to supply "saturation pollination" with honey bees. This has proven feasible on some other crops. Bee visitation should be aufficient to get an ample supply of pollen to all parts of the stigma at the earliest possible moment after it becomes receptive.

http://www284.pair.com/florists/all-about-flowers/Cherimoya.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk