Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 309430 times)

zfallon84

• Florida, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1475 on: January 15, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »
Hello, I am Zach. I am currently pushing the zone in USDA zone in 9A, Florida, USA. I currently have a few types of bananas that I am over-wintering, Avocados, and numerous different seedlings. I also plan on doing some temperates, since they will be more productive. Nice to meet you all!

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 09, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
Hello..My name is James in the San Diego area.  I'm interested in growing edible fruit trees.  I have never grown any fruit tree so I'm here to soak up all the knowledge and information.  Hopefully, I will be able to contribute in the future.  The first two trees that I'm planning to grow is an avocado and a moro blood orange. 

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 17, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
Hello, my name is Joffrey and I'm French.

First of all excuse my English I still have gaps to complete.

I usually graft, fruit trees, ornamental trees etc.
For two years I have been researching the adaptation of tropical trees by grafting or by culture process.

I hope to increase my knowledge of tropical fruit with you.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 08, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »
Hi ya! I live in Palm Bay Fl. Central East coast Fl
Been lurking for a couple weeks and love the info on here!!

My trees:
Ruby Red grapefruit
Washington navel
Dancy tangerine
Lemon (forget what kind)
Honeybell tangelo
Calimandun (spelling)
Kent mango
Haden mango
Carrie mango
Glenn mango
Just picked up the Honeybell today.

Draak

• Northern california, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 15, 2019, 02:04:26 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm a new homeowner in northern california. I've lived the majority of my life in Indiana, where my family attempted to grow 40+ apple trees, 20+ pear trees, wine grapes, and black raspberries. Deer destroyed all but 1 pear tree and 2 apple trees, of which only a single apple tree ever fruited  ::).

Like most in my new area, I have a very limited amount of yardspace to grow anything. Regardless, I started to get excited about growing fruit. Despite that I am in a zone 9, my area get enough chilling hours that I can grow some of the interesting non-tropical fruits; I have 4 varietals of pawpaw, fig, persimmon, golden sweet apple, husk sweet apple, and Bentley sweet apple, orange, grapefruit, and tangerine.

Of course, I'm here because I'm interested in growing strange & unusual things! I've been blown away by the unique information available on this forum. I'm trying to figure out what else I might be able to grow in my zone 9. I'm still engineering my space to grow as much as possible, but at the top of my list to grow next is Suebell Sapote, Black Surinam Cherry, Feijoa, Jujube, Guabiju, and Eugenia Candolleana if it would survive!

I LOVE annona fruits, and I might be able to get some to survive here alongside my pawpaws, but I've read that most really do a lot better at setting fruits in humid environments.

I'm very happy to have any suggestions to add to my list =).

John Smith

• New member with an Old Soul
    • Central Florida (9 a/b)
    • View Profile
hello from Central Florida (9a)
« Reply #1480 on: March 23, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
greetings from Kissimmee
I'm finally downsized enough in life just to piddle in a few hobbies
that I have had to put off for a long time.
presently have a few Loquat, Lychee, Surinam Cherry and orange trees.
my interest isn't just raising them but to improve the product with grafts
and cuttings and see where it goes.
just an old dog learning new tricks
-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Phoenix From The Ashes

• Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 24, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Bryan. I'm a new member and wanted to say hi. I have a 20 avocado trees and 3 mangos newly planted in my yard. Avocado varieties include: Duke, Ulala, Oro Negro, Golden, Monroe, Lila, Mexicola, Mexicola Grande, Joey, Bacon, Carmen Haas and even a Indonesian Red. One of my Mangos is a Nam Duc Mai. I love tropical fruit, and find much of what's offered in the local grocery store, especially mangos, rather tasteless. I also garden and I like motorcycles and spearfishing. I live on 2.25 acres just outside downtown Tampa, that is why I'm able to have so many fruit trees. Nice to meet everyone and I'm looking forward to learning from your experience. Thanks.

Nicolas Naranja

• Pahokee, FL
    • View Profile
    • NK Lago Farms
« Reply #1482 on: March 30, 2019, 05:01:33 PM »
Hello, my name is Nick and I am a tropical fruit grower in Pahokee, FL.  I have a good microclimate next Lake Okeechobee that keeps things warm.  I havenít been below 40F in a few years.  Iíve been farming fruit since 2009.  I grew sugarcane and vegetables as part of my day job from 2005-2016. My specialty has been bananas and plantains, but I have dabbled in avocados, mangos, papayas, and pineapples.  I am expanding this year by planting a few more acres of plantains and more late season avocados.  I make my actual living as a food safety and social responsibility auditor, since I got hit pretty hard in 2016 and 2017 by hurricanes.

599gh888

• hacienda heights 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 01, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
Hello Tropical Fruit Lovers,

My name is David and I have been growing tropical fruits in pots for the past three years.  My current collections are guavas, longan, fuyu persimmon, many 5 gals cultivar of mangoes.  I am looking forward to meeting and talking to you all about tropical fruits.

Sincerely,
David

Mango_Seed

• Near 10A & 10B line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 09, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
I grew up on a dead end street in the middle of a citrus grove. One day they cut down all the citrus trees and put up a shopping mall.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:25:30 AM by Mango_Seed »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: April 10, 2019, 07:42:21 PM »
Hello, my name is Jason and I live above the San Pasqual valley of Escondido, CA.  I manage a small vineyard (1100 vines of 3 varietals) and maintain ~30 mature Hass Avocado and 30 Citrus trees as well as various other deciduous fruit trees on the property.  My primary passion is for tropical fruit trees with recent plantings of 20+ mango varieties, 6 guava varieties, papaya, sapote, tropical cherries, pomegranate, carambola, cherimoya trees and passion vines.  I am looking to improve the success of my fruit farming though this forum along with contributing to shared knowledge. Cheers!

Exoticfruits

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 13, 2019, 02:53:10 AM »
Hello,
I am new to this website. I started planting fruit trees a few years ago and I still have a lot to learn from you guys.
I am Orange County, Westminster, CA. So far I have : 3 starfruits, 7 cherimoya/atemoya, 2 logans, 5 wax apple, 3 Pomelo, 10 dragon fruit, 3 seedless guava, 3 jujube,  loquat, pomegranate, papaya, mulberry,Persimmon, 2 sapodilla, Cat hoa loc guava, lemon, ..

Lucky I found this site, it has the best and helpful information for gardening.

Thanks,
Steven

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
I am Mihai from Romania and i grow tropical fruit trees or shrubs,lianas in a heated geodesic dome greenhouse.I am also a zone pusher,trying to discover unusual and rare exotic fruits that could grow in zones 6-7.I am an enviromentalist and one of my hobbyes are to grow endangered trees and to find extremely fast growing tree species ( or cultivars).

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 15, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Hey Guys,  the name is Bart.  Im a zone pusher in South East Texas 9a

Doing my best to find Far Flung, Weird, and Amazing Troppie/SubTroppie fruit and veg.. that will dig into our gumbo clay.
  (that can survive our brief cold spells, with as little modification as possible, or even container growing)

any recommendations for my locale is greatly appreciated.

Im obsessed with Flavor Modifiers, Sweeteners.. utilitarian/medicinal plants.. genetic oddities.. and conversation pieces, whether thats color or stink or flavor
  (Katemfe/Lemba.. Yoco,Mitragyna,Miracleberry.. Cassabanana,Ackee,Tamarillo.. Stinkbean,BlackberryJamFruit,Sapotes)

Thanks for the website! Looking forward to meeting, exchanging, trading and buying your wares and talking shop

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers