Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 313606 times)

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1500 on: May 12, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »

Welcome here! In case you're not aware: you can get the persian mulberry in tree and bush form. Stay away from the weeping kind if you're looking for fruit production.

Thanks for the advice. Iím definitely looking for fruit.

I got a weeping one, because ... well ... never mind. Anyway, they get grafted high, like 5'-6' high, and then it's supposed to weep down from there. But it doesn't just do it, the weeping only happens if you carefully prune every branch every year. So the end effect is that the fruiting branches start somewhere up there in ladder territory and go higher. Plus you need to cover it with bird netting. Needless to say, I planted a bush form as replacement and that tree will come out once the bush has fruit. But 'til then I'm willing to do anything to get that fruit...

jsailor1

• Belle Isle
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:45 PM »
Hi, John here from Orlando Florida.  Have been reading on the forum for a while and thought it is time to join.  Started growing fruit trees about 5 years ago with the help of a friend from Melbourne Beach.  Starting to run out of space in my yard.  I have 3 more dedicated large spaces that had previous trees on it. 

In my yard now..
Plum
Grapefruit (Flame)
Brogden Avocado
Longan ( Bien Kiew)
Lychee ( Sweet Heart)
Carambola ( Sri Kemp)
Nam Doc Mai Mango
Keitt Mango
Glenn Mango
Lemon Zest Mango
Jaboticaba
Bananas and mulberries

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1502 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Nice addiction you got going, jsailor  ;D Welcome here!

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:58 AM »
I am so happy I found this forum. It will take me a few nights though to read it through.
My addiction is very new. Only 2 months old.
It started with an old mahogany tree that we had to take down (invasive root system).
Then I was looking for a new big front yard tree and I discovered a new fascinating world of tropical fruit trees.
Valencia pride was selected for the front yard, but there was some space left... So, I planted Kilo guava and Barbados cherry. And then the backyard: Maha chanok mango, Red Lady papaya and Mai 1 jackfruit. I am planning to pack some more in this small residential lot.

I live in Palm Beach County and buy from Excalibur.

Please bear with me if I ask not so intelligent questions. I am a nerd from a cold climate... I need some help with all these pests and tree selection. I am determined to keep my trees alive and fruiting.
At the moment I am fighting Sri Lankan weevils, mealybugs and something unidentified is eating my papaya leaves. Also, I see tons of spiders and I have no idea how to tell beneficial ones from pests.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers