Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 394276 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #825 on: November 14, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
My name is Saksith and I live in Thailand. I can speak Eng little.
I am interested in rare fruits.
In my country have a lot of local fruits ( mango, mangosteen, rambutan, durian, longan, jackfruit and... ). Every where have these friuts and I think it looks like apple or berry fruits in USA  so I try to looking for rare tropical fruits that look tasty  and sweet taste.
Now I m also interested in Inga edulis ( Ice cream bean) seeds. I think this forum is amazing. nice to see eveyone, Thank.

Welcome to the forum Saksith.  I find some irony in your introductory post.  There you have all the tropical fruits that we all crave and covet....and you are looking for Ice Cream Bean, something I stopped growing long ago because of its inferiority to almost all fruits that I can grow or have access to.  I assume that you have never had Ice Cream Bean and so your quest is in full swing.  Best of luck in your quest.  If you find it and try it and think it is going to taste like Ice Cream, you will be disappointed.  If you want a nitrogen fixing tree with a nice growth habit and fruit that has edible cottony flesh with a mild sweetness, then you may actually appreciate Ice Cream Bean.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same taste buds as Harry. For example, in the book Fruit Hunters the author, Adam Gollner, describes ice cream bean as one of the best fruits he ever had. (BTW it was a fruit he tasted here from one of my trees.) Also it's not true that Thailand has all the tropical fruits we crave. They are extremely poor in fruits from South America: sapotes, jaboticabas, achachairu, and ofcourse all the ingas. Inga is a wonderful multi purpose tree so i would encourage you to introduce it and spread it in Thailand.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #826 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
In my country have a lot of local fruits ( mango, mangosteen, rambutan, durian, longan, jackfruit and... ). Every where have these friuts and I think it looks like apple or berry fruits in USA  so I try to looking for rare tropical fruits that look tasty  and sweet taste.
Now I m also interested in Inga edulis ( Ice cream bean) seeds. I think this forum is amazing. nice to see eveyone, Thank.

Welcome to the forum Saksith.  I find some irony in your introductory post.  There you have all the tropical fruits that we all crave and covet....and you are looking for Ice Cream Bean, something I stopped growing long ago because of its inferiority to almost all fruits that I can grow or have access to.  I assume that you have never had Ice Cream Bean and so your quest is in full swing.  Best of luck in your quest.  If you find it and try it and think it is going to taste like Ice Cream, you will be disappointed.  If you want a nitrogen fixing tree with a nice growth habit and fruit that has edible cottony flesh with a mild sweetness, then you may actually appreciate Ice Cream Bean.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same taste buds as Harry. For example, in the book Fruit Hunters the author, Adam Gollner, describes ice cream bean as one of the best fruits he ever had. (BTW it was a fruit he tasted here from one of my trees.) Also it's not true that Thailand has all the tropical fruits we crave. They are extremely poor in fruits from South America: sapotes, jaboticabas, achachairu, and ofcourse all the ingas. Inga is a wonderful multi purpose tree so i would encourage you to introduce it and spread it in Thailand.

Thanks, Oscar, for pointing out the mistaken points in my response.  I want to clear up any misconception I may have created.  I was not trying to totally dissuade Saksith from buying seeds or planting Inga.  My comments were to point out an irony that I was feeling and to temper the view of the fruit in light of its very inaccurate name. I am certain that you have absolutely wonderful Ice Cream Beans....probably one of the best in the world. And Saksith, if you are planning to buy seeds, I would highly recommend Oscar for that purchase as a reliable source of excellent quality seeds. I do feel that this fruit has been romanticized or hyped by the English name chosen for it.  To most people, Ice Cream anything sounds really, really good. So any fruit that is named Ice cream is a must have to most collectors. Well, with all due respect to Oscar's Ingas and Mr. Gollner's hype in a book he is trying to sell, they just don't have any relation in flavor, texture or anything else to ice cream. So I am suggesting some tempering of the excitement based on my experience and my taste buds. Know one knows better than me that other people like things that I don't like.  However, if Gollner describes Ice Cream bean as one of the best fruits he has ever had, it causes me some pause to wonder.  Even the most ardent supporters of the Inga species that I have encountered in my few years of growing tropical fruits have ever said such a thing with a straight face. Oscar......would you agree with Gollner that Inga is "one of the best fruits in the world?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:50:52 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
Certain Inga..perfect ripeness  are really good.   One of those fruit you can pig out on...they just keep going in the mouth...cotton candy more like than ice cream as far as texture. Hint of vanilla  flavor?  This tree is an excellent for the orchard as well..one that u put in between the good ones.(n fix, coppiced very well, fodder, field food). And if they suck ass...just mulch um.
Gotta plant more than one..have some friends that have one tree...never fruit just flowers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #828 on: November 15, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

Thanks, Oscar, for pointing out the mistaken points in my response.  I want to clear up any misconception I may have created.  I was not trying to totally dissuade Saksith from buying seeds or planting Inga.  My comments were to point out an irony that I was feeling and to temper the view of the fruit in light of its very inaccurate name. I am certain that you have absolutely wonderful Ice Cream Beans....probably one of the best in the world. And Saksith, if you are planning to buy seeds, I would highly recommend Oscar for that purchase as a reliable source of excellent quality seeds. I do feel that this fruit has been romanticized or hyped by the English name chosen for it.  To most people, Ice Cream anything sounds really, really good. So any fruit that is named Ice cream is a must have to most collectors. Well, with all due respect to Oscar's Ingas and Mr. Gollner's hype in a book he is trying to sell, they just don't have any relation in flavor, texture or anything else to ice cream. So I am suggesting some tempering of the excitement based on my experience and my taste buds. Know one knows better than me that other people like things that I don't like.  However, if Gollner describes Ice Cream bean as one of the best fruits he has ever had, it causes me some pause to wonder.  Even the most ardent supporters of the Inga species that I have encountered in my few years of growing tropical fruits have ever said such a thing with a straight face. Oscar......would you agree with Gollner that Inga is "one of the best fruits in the world?"

I agree with you Harry that ice cream bean is not a very good name. But then again so many fruits have very bad common names, or confusing common names, and i think neither i nor you have any control over that. (BTW, does Ice Cream banana really taste like ice cream? How about Ice Cream mango, does it taste like ice cream?) Most people have suggested cotton candy bean would be a better name as they have similar kind of texture and quite sweet. I wouldn't describe it as one of the best fruits in the world, but i would describe it as one of the most versatile trees in the world: nitrogen fixing, attractive flowers all year long, attracts bees, can be used for coppicing and fertilizing other trees,  great for pioneering as will grow in the worst of soils, wood is usable, etc etc. and on top of all that you can also eat and enjoy the pods. Also this fruit is very big winner with kids. And there are certainly plenty of kids in Thailand. I don't think Gollner was hyping his reaction or  said that because he is trying to sell his books. He flew here straight from Toronto. So after being in frozen tundra land lots of fruits can taste really great...i would assume. Also i don't think Adam had yet tasted very many fruits back then. Personally i do really enjoy eating them and i have lots of other great fruits to choose from. And like Micah also said, can eat lots of them and still continue enjoying them.
Oscar

NaplesTransplant

• USA, FL, Naples. zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Dianne.  I am a retired acupuncturist.  Moved to SW FL a little over a year ago and have planted around 30 fruit trees.  I am so glad to find this site so that I can avoid some of the mistakes I have been making.  I have citrus, star fruit, macadamia, a sickly looking fuyu persimmon, guava, bananas, figs, peach, apple, kiwi hardy kiwi, sapodilla, pomegranate, juju be, strawberry tree and tamarind.  My trees are all small but I have gotten a fruit or two from a few.  The hardest thing right now is trying to control those white weevils, leaf miners and trying to figure out how to get the soil up to par.  We have sulfur in the water and very sandy, alkaline soil.  If anyone has any tips for me it would be so appreciated.  So far I have been using neem for the insects and its barely keeps them at bay.

Nutrecul Agroforestry

• D.R.Congo & Belgium
    • View Profile
    • Nutrecul Agroforestry & Treculia Research Centre
« Reply #830 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
My name is Jean. I'm an agronomist from Congo & Belgian origine. Living 6 months a year in Congo and 6 months in Belgium.

I'm CEO at www.nutrecul-agroforestry.com and mercenary parkranger for the AWDF (african wildlife defence force).

Greetz

Jean (John)
Ceo Nutrecul
https://www.facebook.com/NutreculAgroforestry
http://www.nutrecul-agroforestry.com/

Nutrecul Agroforestry - Treculia Research Centre

IM NO LONGER ACTIVE ON FORUMS. PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH MY ORGANIZATION. THANKS.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #831 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
Welcome to all our new members.  Talk about diversity of location and vocation.....an acupuncturist in Naples and an agronomist/parkranger in Congo.....does it get any more diverse than that?  Happy to have such a wide range of people on the forum.  Happy growing and, of course, posting everybody!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 26, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
Yes, welcome and thank's to join! This fórum is geting better with all this diversity!  ;)

Carlos Jimenez

• USA. Florida Bodwar Miramar
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 01, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Hi every body I'm Carlos Live in Miramar FL.
Can somebody tel my de addres of elsy's plants nursery in Broadwar FL.quote author=murahilin link=topic=21.msg81#msg81 date=1326672440]
Hi Everyone,
Since this is a new forum I think we should have an introductory post for old and new members alike.
[/quote]

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
Greetings,
I'm Jonah. I enjoy caring for fruiting plants and exploring the woods and beaches. Some of my favorites are the citrus, Avocado, Guava, White Sapote, the hybrid berries in my garden, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Dragonfruit, Passion Fruit, Loquat, Cereus Cactus, Pakistan Mulberry, Peaches, Figs, and Cherry's I manage.
In my Greenhouse I have Jaboticaba, Cabelluda, Babaco and Granada Papaya, miracle fruit, and lots of babies that are currently wintering in there. I have terraced a fruit orchard in the Redwood and Oak hillside that is very steep and challenging at times but I am happy to have a place to grow fruit.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 04, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
Greetings,
I'm Jonah. I enjoy caring for fruiting plants and exploring the woods and beaches. Some of my favorites are the citrus, Avocado, Guava, White Sapote, the hybrid berries in my garden, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Dragonfruit, Passion Fruit, Loquat, Cereus Cactus, Pakistan Mulberry, Peaches, Figs, and Cherry's I manage.
In my Greenhouse I have Jaboticaba, Cabelluda, Babaco and Granada Papaya, miracle fruit, and lots of babies that are currently wintering in there. I have terraced a fruit orchard in the Redwood and Oak hillside that is very steep and challenging at times but I am happy to have a place to grow fruit.
Hi Bush2Beach congratulations! It would ne nice to see your wonder pics!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:22:25 AM by Luisport »

HarbourJungle

• Indian Harbour Beach, Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »
Greetings,

My name is Adam and I am a firefighter. I was fortunate enough to buy a house 3 years ago with nothing but grass around it, not one tree in the yard. At first I was pretty bummed about it but later realized I had a clean slate to  create whatever paradise I could dream up. It wasn't long before I stumbled across fruit trees. Now I am running out of room in the yard. I am growing avocado, mango, bananas, Jamaican cherry, black sapote, starfruit, miracle fruit, jaboticaba, peaches and my favorite atemoya. It's a fun challenge fighting the pest and salinity in my area, but well worth it to grow fresh fruit for my family. Sorry a little long winded just excited to have found this forum. Thanks

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 08, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
Hello I'm Brandon. I live in north Orange County California. Near long beach. I live in a condo with a small back yard so i can't go too many things but I did plant a Keitt mango, a sapodilla, dragon fruit , blood orange and a few other odds and ends. I'm really excited about my mango tree and the sapodilla!! Anyway hola everyone :)

rambutantx

• USA, TX, Euless, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Souphanh leaving in Euless TX. I got interested in  growing tropical fruit tree when I stumbed on Cherri blog searching for something else other then fruit tree.  I thought to myself if she could grow them in PA, why not me in TX. My first tree was a sweetheart lychee, on the second year I almost got fruit, but one day of 45mph wind blow most of the bloom away.  From there on I got a few more to my collection,  kohala longan,  silaswood sapodila, nam doc mai mango(hail storm victim) and a bunch of  rambutan seedling(3month old as of today, Dec 10, 2013.  Looking forward to learn from everyone on this forum.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Souphanh leaving in Euless TX. I got interested in  growing tropical fruit tree when I stumbed on Cherri blog searching for something else other then fruit tree.  I thought to myself if she could grow them in PA, why not me in TX. My first tree was a sweetheart lychee, on the second year I almost got fruit, but one day of 45mph wind blow most of the bloom away.  From there on I got a few more to my collection,  kohala longan,  silaswood sapodila, nam doc mai mango(hail storm victim) and a bunch of  rambutan seedling(3month old as of today, Dec 10, 2013.  Looking forward to learn from everyone on this forum.

Welcome aboard!  Are you growing these in the ground, or in pots and indoors/greenhouse, etc?

rambutantx

• USA, TX, Euless, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: December 12, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Hi Triloba, all my fruits are in containers and now enjoying their winter vacation in a DIY 8X8 greenhouse.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 12, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
Welcome to the forums Rambutantx.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gdele

• UK, Avocados in Gambia
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Greg, based in the UK (Coventry) and have just planted 100 avocado trees in The Gambia West Africa.

i must confess that I have no knowledge what so ever about planting and i'm hoping to muddle through with the support of your good selves!!

Currently I'm paying someone to water the avocado trees every other day but at some point would like to put in an irrigation system to make things easier for my farm manager.

I found this site by logging on to myavocadotrees.com  . . . all I can say is that I am a fast and keen learner.

Many thanks/regard

Greg

thewildpapaya

• Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
    • The Wild Papaya Nursery and Garden Center
« Reply #843 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Beatriz and i own the wild papaya nursery and garden center and you can visit us at www.thewildpapaya.com. You will find a great collection of tropical fruit trees.  I will be adding more this week so please keep checkin.  Not only do i own it but i have a true passion for tropical fruits. I enjoy traveling and discovering and tasting new tropical fruits. 

KAL

• morocco
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 31, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi All-
My name is khalid, I am a morrocan . 
I am happy to see this new forum and look forward to learning and interacting with the other members.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:37 AM »
Hi All-
My name is khalid, I am a morrocan . 
I am happy to see this new forum and look forward to learning and interacting with the other members.

Wellcome to this forum, neighbor ;) Where exactly are you located?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 01, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Greg, based in the UK (Coventry) and have just planted 100 avocado trees in The Gambia West Africa.

i must confess that I have no knowledge what so ever about planting and i'm hoping to muddle through with the support of your good selves!!

Currently I'm paying someone to water the avocado trees every other day but at some point would like to put in an irrigation system to make things easier for my farm manager.

I found this site by logging on to myavocadotrees.com  . . . all I can say is that I am a fast and keen learner.

Many thanks/regard

Greg

Wellcome Greg :)

It would be nice to see some pictures of your orchad in Gambia. Maybe we can give you some advices regarding the irrigation system. Where do you get the water from, river, well?

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
hi, treefrog here

i'm retired, living in jefferson county (just east of tallahassee}  i was born and raised in winter haven, spent years in ft. myers.

i miss having home grown tropical fruit, so i built a greenhouse.  i have:
mangos - mallika, Neelam, cogshall, lancetilla, and maha chanok
avocados: brazos belle, wurtz dwarf, mexicola, winter mexican, joey, poncho, and an unnamed variety grafted from a tree growing in cairo, georgia
papayas, seedlings from grocery store fruit, both mexican and hawiian.
bananas: thousand finger, rajapuri, pisang ceylon, and two unnamed locals.

the greenhouse is a fairly new project. most of the trees were grafted in 3 gallon pots up to last speing.  a couple older.  so far nothing has  borne any fruit outside of one (1) Neelam mango a couple of months ago.  it was delicious.   presently, there are blossom buds on mexicola, joey, and poncho, and buds on other avos that may become blossoms.

with all that in a 24' x 30'   greenhouse, i expect it to be crowded when things get some size on them.  i expect to have to do a lot of size control pruning.  i may lose some of them to one thing or another.  i may also do some culling.  still, it's going to be crowded. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:45:10 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

fernando 01

• AIBONITO, PUERTO RICO
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 03, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
I AM LOOKING FOR SOME MARULA TREE SEED. I LIVE IN PUERTO RICO FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS AND I LIKE TO PLANT TROPICAL FRUT PLANT

Frugivorous Hernan

« Reply #849 on: January 03, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Hernan Posada and I am originally from Colombia. In 2012, I started to become passionate about fruit.
I am 20 years old and will start my next chapter of my life in South Florida.
I am on a primarily fruit-based diet and will occasionally have leafy greens. I have been a raw foodist since December 2012 and this is how my passion of fruit began.

I may plan on moving to Costa Rica or Colombia some day but right now I will really be enjoying my time in South Florida.
I feel as if Tropical Fruit are the healthiest foods we can be consuming, as we originated in the tropics and we are physiologically designed to fit the qualities of fruit

In the summer of 2013, I attended the Woodstock Fruit Festival, one of the world's largest raw foods event with access to unlimited fruit and amazing presenters and speakers. Check it out at

Really looking forward to learning all that I possibly can about Tropical Fruit so I can start growing it in the backyard of my home in South Florida. It would be amazing if I could eat most of my food from my backyard.
I also look forward to meeting and connecting with like-minded people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:22:31 PM by Frugivorous Hernan »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers