Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 394280 times)

TRI433

• Homestead, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
Hello everyone here!  I am a new member from Citrus Growers Forum and also Bananas.org.     Right now I am growing mangos, avocados, bananas, and papaya.    I am sure there is a lot to learn on this forum from others who no doubt have a lot more experience than I do growing tropical fruit trees.   

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 24, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
So nice to see you here!

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »
Thought I'd put an end to the lurking and introduce myself.  I'm relatively new to this addiction hobby.   :)

I live in Sunrise, FL, 10b if my neighbors are to be believed. I recently moved into a house with a modest backyard which I've filled with the following:

Nam Doc Mai
Carrie
Graham
Lemon Zest (courtesy of Zands)
Van Dyke (also courtesy of Zands)
Carambola Kari
Pomegranate Wonderful
Peach UF Sun
Florida Hass Avocado
And a random fledgling papaya

All are newly planted babies except for the ones from Zands and I've been reading up to learn as much as I can about taking care of them.

The real reason I decided to come out of the shadows tonight is I'm concerned about my Van Dyke, which was transplanted from Zands yard to mine yesterday. It may be quite normal but may also be indicative of a problem so I'm hoping one of the mango docs can lend some advice. I noticed today that some of the new growth towards the top of the tree, so far only on one side, has some unhappy leaves curling up. Here's a pic:

I welcome any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks to all for this awesome forum, look forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:14:07 PM by canesgirl821 »

luiz r. belline

• Brazil - So Paulo Sorocaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »
Hi guys! My name is Luiz and I'm from Brazil. I work at Toyota as engineer and what I really enjoy to do in my life is to take care of my tropical fruit trees at my dad's small farm. We have grumixama, cereja do rio grande, guabiju, cambuca, cereja de joinville, red pitanga, black pitanga, acerola, saguaragi, cabeludinha, jaracatia, yellow ara, red ara, giant ara, pear ara, ara piranga, pitomba, uvaia and others I can remember now. I'm very glad to know that other people share the same kind of fascination by the nature. If you have some doubt about brazilian tropical fruits, please let me know, I will try to help. Thanks!!!

luiz r. belline

• Brazil - So Paulo Sorocaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
Hi guys! My name is Luiz and I'm from Brazil. I work at Toyota as engineer and what I really enjoy to do in my life is to take care of my tropical fruit trees at my dad's small farm. We have grumixama, cereja do rio grande, guabiju, cambuca, cereja de joinville, red pitanga, black pitanga, acerola, saguaragi, cabeludinha, jaracatia, yellow ara, red ara, giant ara, pear ara, ara piranga, pitomba, uvaia and others I can remember now. I'm very glad to know that other people share the same kind of fascination by the nature. If you have some doubt about brazilian tropical fruits, please let me know, I will try to help. Thanks!!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #980 on: April 29, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
The real reason I decided to come out of the shadows tonight is I'm concerned about my Van Dyke, which was transplanted from Zands yard to mine yesterday. It may be quite normal but may also be indicative of a problem so I'm hoping one of the mango docs can lend some advice. I noticed today that some of the new growth towards the top of the tree, so far only on one side, has some unhappy leaves curling up. Here's a pic:

Thanks to all for this awesome forum, look forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!

Looks like normal tranplantation shock.  Keep it very well watered and you should be fine.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Looks like normal tranplantation shock.  Keep it very well watered and you should be fine.

Thank you for your input, if a mango expert like yourself thinks it's ok that makes me feel much better!  :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #982 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

I agree with Harry. Along with watering it well i also suggest to mist it several times a day. It's having trouble absorbing enough moisture. Also would be good to throw a sheet cover over it for a couple of days, or anything to shade it from full sun, while it recooperates.
Oscar

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 01, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

I agree with Harry. Along with watering it well i also suggest to mist it several times a day. It's having trouble absorbing enough moisture. Also would be good to throw a sheet cover over it for a couple of days, or anything to shade it from full sun, while it recooperates.

I might add that I also agree.  We transplanted two trees the other day.  The one did well, but the other one's leaves were hanging.  It hanged for a week or so.  We gave it extra water and also mist with a little something extra in and now it is doing well, although smaller than the other tree.

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 25, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
Hi,
Tropical fruit grower in California. I currently have passion fruit, avocado(not fruited yet), mango seedlings, cherimoya, sugar cane, bananas, and coffee seedlings. In actuality I have been more focused on growing and breeding my own vegetables. For example, growing out potatoes from true seeds. Hope to have some fun on this forum asking questions, answering some, and trading.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 27, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
Hi,
Tropical fruit grower in California. I currently have passion fruit, avocado(not fruited yet), mango seedlings, cherimoya, sugar cane, bananas, and coffee seedlings. In actuality I have been more focused on growing and breeding my own vegetables. For example, growing out potatoes from true seeds. Hope to have some fun on this forum asking questions, answering some, and trading.

Kevin,

Nice to meet you, I am interested in breeding my own vegetables eventually. I am also growing some potatoes from TPS seeds.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Johnnyk

• Kuranda
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:41 AM »
Hi all,
my names Johnny and I love growing tropical fruit from around this wonderful world of ours, particularly Durian currently have two trees that are 12 years old fruiting and one 10 years that's not doing much have a big interest of growing more via seeds. But lots of mixed feed back about this method so was excited to read thar Mike Marshall has had success.
Looking forward to reading past postings

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »
Welcome Johnny and good luck with the durians. Kuranda should be alright for a few durian varieties and you might want to supplement your seedling with a grafted durian or two. Marshall has a house in Whitfield/Edge Hill with durians as well as the property opposite Rainforestion on Streets Creek. 

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
I am so glad to know that many are interested in Durian. I am currently doing research on many aspects of growing Durians, both cultural and plant protection.

Caprigirl

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 03, 2014, 04:16:02 AM »
  GOOD DAY TO ALL OF YOU!!!   
AM NEW HERE.

AM FROM TAIWAN. 
I HAVE JUST STARTED TO PLANT 2 CHERRY PLUMS AND 1SUGAR APPLES. 
WE USE A LITTLE HAND PUMP TYPE POLLINATOR TOOL ON THIS ISLAND TO BEAUTIFUL TASTY FRUITS.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 03, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »
Caprigirl welcome and there are other Taiwanese people on the forum. It sounds like you pollinate with a camera blower brush. You may be interested in other Annona species to grow. People will enjoy hearing about your fruit growing and eating experiences if you wish to share.

georgesunny......you betcha durians are popular and there has been spirited discussions on growing them and different varieties on the forum. You can search previous discussion with the box at the top left and your input on durians would be welcomed.

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 06, 2014, 02:01:21 AM »
Thanks a lot, Mike! I will explore those discussions.

Vietnamese Dragon fruit

• Long an, south of Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
Hi every one, I'm a newbie and also like tropical fruits!
Here is some of mine!

I also like others! Best wishes to every one!
you can do it

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 10, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »
Hearty Welcome to the Forum! Excellent Dragon Fruit plants!

Vietnamese Dragon fruit

• Long an, south of Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 10, 2014, 02:47:20 AM »
Hearty Welcome to the Forum! Excellent Dragon Fruit plants!

thanks you my bro! these are just some of them, all of them over one hecta!
you can do it

RichardS59

• Australia, WA, Perth
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 14, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Hi tropical fruit enthusiasts.  Just reached the end of the white sapote season here in the south west of Western Australia.  An excellent season at that.  Nothing better than the taste of over ripe sapote in a fruit salad or thick shake.  Other fruits from the garden include black sapote, guava, feijoa and mango.  Still struggling to achieve a crop of lychee and sapodilla.  Richard.

Rooster01

• Naples FL zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Hello to the group
My name is chuck, I live in SWFL (Naples)
Two years ago I took all the landscaping out of my yard and planted all tropical fruit trees,
Black sapote, sugar apple, Alano sapodilla,Malay apple, starfruit, ever bearing Mulberry, pineapples, and now I'm addicted to Dragon fruit, I have six varieties.iam a newbie that's why I joined the group hoping to learn all I can. Look forward to texting and someday maybe meet some of you. Does anybody else live in Naples FL. All for now....Chuck

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 21, 2014, 04:31:16 AM »
Hello Rooster01 and everyone. Ever bearing mullberries sounds like a dream. Is that possible in other places or just in florida?

zands

• wango_tango_mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 22, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
Hello Rooster01 and everyone. Ever bearing mullberries sounds like a dream. Is that possible in other places or just in florida?

If I had the space I would plant one. As far as I know ever bearing is an exaggeration and does not mean year around. It means an extended season. It means many months when it gives ripe fruits. And in Portugal this means more months than Germany.

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 22, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »
 ;D  Thanks

I found out that already after some googling. I planted to mullberries, one grafted and one not. The grafted is growing beautiful and was giving big black fruits in the spring but now it stoped. Im going to look up some everbearing ones even if that doesnt really mean so  ;)

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers