Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 364550 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Yard as of Jan 2019:
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1175 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
Hello everyone,
I live in Coral Springs, FL. I grew up exposed to a lot of tropical fruits due to having West Indian parents, however I didn't get bitten by the bug until around 4 years ago. Since then I purchased a house and have been planting fruit trees like a mad man. Currently I'm growing 11 mango varieties, atemoya, custard apple, soursop, jackfruit, star apple, abui, Ice cream bean, Malay Apple, Guava and a few others. Wish i knew about this forum before i began but i guess you live and learn. Looking forward to meeting some of you from South Florida and learning about different tropical fruits.
Khan's Edible Oasis
Yard as of Jan 2019

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #1176 on: June 25, 2015, 01:08:35 AM »
Hi all--I'm a newbie trying to figure out what I can grow in Tucson--some may recognize me from other forums, but I don't post very much these days. I started with citrus, apples, stone fruits, and various figs, then added persimmons, white sapote, pawpaws, pomegranate, and avocados. Tried protecting in-ground mangos; no luck. Currently working to maintain small potted mango (grocery store seedling as guinea pig), cherimoya, and lychee.

Florida_Transplant

• Central FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
My name is Stephanie

I moved down here in 85. Got married to some abnormal dude that wanted to move back up north. So we moved up in 2001. He died in 2008. I was already missing FL but couldn't figure out how to get everything coordinated to move down here and I kept praying. Must have prayed about a year. I had a house to get rid of. I had enough belongings and a huge book collection and tools to fill up two 20' x 20' garages. I didn't want to leave behind all of my canning jars either or my greenhouse. And moving just seemed too overwhelming not to mention expensive.

Sometimes God has to knock you over the head with a 2"x 4" to get your attention, so in the middle of a swamp fire, and having had an earthquake, my forest got infested with White Pine Blister Beetles and the trees started falling, we got notified that a hurricane was coming our way and I said, Lord, I've been praying about moving back to FL, I got Your answer!!!

I literally packed up everything I could in the back of my ancient pickup truck, which everybody said couldn't get me here, and I drove straight down through the middle of the hurricane as it hit GA.

I made it! I'm not leaving! I home for good!

I married a Crazy FL Cracker and we've got an acre that I have been working on since I got here.

We've got Lime, Orange and Lemon trees.

A guava that's taking over.

Papaya

Grapes

And a huge garden that is suddenly severely infested with Stink Bugs!

I also found a Flat Worm, I think it's called, in my garden today. Stabbed that ugly thing and I hope he doesn't have any siblings.

I'm also trying to grow apples, peaches, cherries and plums. I've actually got a couple of blooms but they seem to be confused and aren't pollinating each other.

I've got bananas!!! They were here when I got here, but I finally got them to produce fruit!

So, okay, I can a lot of my own food.

I read a lot.

I'm reading up on plant breeding.

I'm stretching the limits and trying new things at different times of the year that aren't supposed to do well.

And I'm also discovering new Tropical Veggies!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #1178 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:22 AM »
Great story Stephanie. Glad you joined the group. Nice to have you along for the ride. 8)
Oscar

Florida_Transplant

• Central FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 28, 2015, 05:19:18 AM »
Thank you Oscar, that was a nice welcome!

Brev Grower

• fruit junkie - will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida , 9b, Brevard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »
Hello to all!
I have lived in Florida about 30 years now. Bought a house in 2006 and began planting fruit trees. Planted some citrus and a Haden mango in the back. Did not really take care of the Haden except covered it in the freeze of 2010. The next year, it gave about 40 of the most delicious fruit I had ever eaten!! It was then I became a mango maniac. Known as mango man at work ;D Have about 20 varieties of mango in my yard along with some citrus, avacado and guava. Most are under 5 years so I am just beginning to taste some! Have enjoyed reading the many posts on this site. Very helpful information from those in the know!

E

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:43 PM »
Hello to all!
I have lived in Florida about 30 years now. Bought a house in 2006 and began planting fruit trees. Planted some citrus and a Haden mango in the back. Did not really take care of the Haden except covered it in the freeze of 2010. The next year, it gave about 40 of the most delicious fruit I had ever eaten!! It was then I became a mango maniac. Known as mango man at work ;D Have about 20 varieties of mango in my yard along with some citrus, avacado and guava. Most are under 5 years so I am just beginning to taste some! Have enjoyed reading the many posts on this site. Very helpful information from those in the know!

E

welcome...i definitely recommend maha chanok and some of the newer zills varieties like sweet tart, fruit punch, coconut cream, pineapple pleasure, lemon zest...etc.  In they future, they will drop the mango from your name and simply refer to you as "The Man" ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 01, 2015, 05:04:32 AM »

Jeff - Haha! Thank you for the welcome! I have a lemon zest I bought on a whim a few years back. ;D Love the clean citrusssy/ orange sherbert like flavor although this year they haven't tasted as good... yet. Also have a coco cream from my kids for father's day and a sweet tart I bought after reading the positive posts here. Neither of these is producing yet. Patience Daniel-son!

E

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »

Jeff - Haha! Thank you for the welcome! I have a lemon zest I bought on a whim a few years back. ;D Love the clean citrusssy/ orange sherbert like flavor although this year they haven't tasted as good... yet. Also have a coco cream from my kids for father's day and a sweet tart I bought after reading the positive posts here. Neither of these is producing yet. Patience Daniel-son!

E

Well-done!  Awesome choices.  Prepare to have your taste buds dazzled...in a few years of course ;)

Maha can be kept to a manageable size pretty easily with pruning...you may want to add that one if you can find the space
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 05, 2015, 04:20:46 AM »

Jeff - I may be able to get one or two more dwarfish mangoes to fit in the yard:) Maha sounds pretty good, I know you and HMHausman have spoken highly of it. I would really like to find a great tasting, very early or very late season mango. Have Keitt and Rosigold already... Any other suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

E.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:35:22 AM by Brev Grower »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: July 05, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
for late mangoes, providence and honey kiss would work....not sure of their availability at the moment though.  Both are manageable sized trees, late season and excellent flavor!  Not sure how far it is, but if you can, plan to visit Walter Zill's fruit stand so you can try these beauties for yourself.
~Jeff

Broman

• Yes, I'm a mango fanatic and I'm proud of it!
    • Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
Hi, my name is Mike from Melbourne, Fl. and I am a MA- mango addict 😁😁. I'm a mango nut, I have three trees now and want more, lots more. I want to learn more about fruits, gardening/growing and specifically more info on my beloved mangoes. I hope to be here often and possibly contribute some knowledge. Thanks for having me!

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
Hey there, my name is Daniel I own a small business here in SW Florida and reside on a 10 acre piece of land that has been in my family for 35 years. I decided to join the Tropical Fruit Forum now thanks to insomnia and to my love for growing trees. Last year I decided to plant a couple of mangoes and avocados. Then I couldn't stop and am now up to 13 mangos 6 avocados 5 nasberries 4 guavas 2 lychees and a Partridge in a pear tree.. errr peach tree that is, Tropic Beauty to be exact.  It's probably going to be a long time before I get any fruit and I'm really dreading winter. There are three seedling mangos already on the property that basically don't grow because they die way back every year and although they've been here for years they are pretty small and have never set fruit. I'm hoping that by planting my trees strategically they may do a little better and if we don't get too cold of a winter I may get some of my plants established enough to hopefully be able to have a little bit of success. Thanks for offering this forum  I can see that there is a wealth of knowledge planted here (pun intended) and I have already learned a lot. Hope to someday be able to add to the wisdom as my experience...  (one more pun) grows.

jetset516

• Hollywood, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Hi! my name is Darren, I live in Hollywood, Fl. I joined just today for the purpose of identifying an insect that's making a meal of my mango tree. I recently got interested in tropical fruits being we have two coco palms outside, this year I decided to start learning how to open up the actual coconut for the milk and coconut inside. I find myself looking for ripened ones on bulk pickup day...can't believe how many ppl throw out perfectly good coconuts! I also planted a few papays trees...of course it'll be a while before they bear fruit, and at that though I love the taste...papaya fruit smells BAAAAD lol! gotta read up on that another day and see if there's something I can do to know when to pick them at their least smelly.  :P  My latest project is my mango tree. My wife wants to get rid of it, and with whatever is eating the inside seemingly killing it I was on board for a bit, but I'm hoping to salvage the tree and get it growing and bearing fruit again. Mangoes are my fave!
Anyways! glad to be here and can't wait to learn some good stuff!

lal

• india kerala ottapalam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:27 AM »
iam santhilal, indian, teacher, very much interest to plant fruit trees, and also like to exchange  tropical fruit seeds , , my aim is to speard  fruit seeds to the entire world and make our mother earth  evergreen, by this way  all living organisums get enough food

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
Hello,

I'm John. I work in higher education and my container grown plants are slowly taking over the balcony. Central FL. I'm interested in Fruits, delicious fruits. I'm always looking to try my hand at growing something new as well as permaculture experiments on a micro scale. Always interested in learning.
John

SoCalBob

• 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 01, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
Hello folks, Roberto here.  Currently residing in San Diego area.  Although I live in 10A, work and friends take me inland.  I love the high desert which has it's own charm, but my wife hates the desert.  I ask her if she'll visit me. 

Originally from Argentina, spent about 10 years in Central America (Costa Rica and Honduras). 

Currently looking for some property to expand my ag interests.

See you on the forum...

Drifter

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 03, 2015, 01:09:36 AM »
I live with my wife in on a 20 acre small holding inThailand. Just signed up to this forum today, a wealth of knowledge available here!

I work offshore on a 5 week rotation and growing tropical fruits has become a passion of mine that I get much satisfaction from during my time off. Im 26 years old so planting seeds seems to be a good long term investment too.

Whilst I have had good germination rates from imported seeds from online vendors, im interested in buying/exchanging rarer seeds and obtaining the best cultivars.

Anyone out the have any biriba seeds from a heavy bearing large fruiting tree? Also wish to obtain more Keledang and other rare jackfruit varieties. I have had trouble getting granadilla seeds to germinate....I think the ones I purchase are duds, can anyone help.

I wish to make friends on here and am happy to post seeds from here in Thailand as there is so much on offer and its cheap and easy to cpme by. Cheers Calum

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #1193 on: August 04, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
Hi, i'm Sarah, I work for an awesome fruit delivery company in Vancouver and am hoping to learn more about fruit
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1194 on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
Hi, i'm Sarah, I work for an awesome fruit delivery company in Vancouver and am hoping to learn more about fruit

What a cool company!  Welcome.  How long has this company been in business?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:04:51 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Dernier Farms

• West Melbourne, Florida.. Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 05, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dane. I am blessed enough to get to work with plants for a living. I am a buyer and department head at Rockldege Gardens, an independent garden center located on the east coast of Florida. I decided to join the forum after Brev Grower recommended checking it out. Most of my plant knowledge is in the ornamental landscape realm but I find myself really drawn to edible plants as I learn more about them.

We recently purchased a house with almost an acre. I have a small assortment of fruit trees including Mangoes, figs and others. We are really looking forward to planting as many fruit trees and plants as we can into our yard. I am also excited to learn as much as possible from you all that have been playing with fruit trees longer.

Thanks,
Dane

Tomayquichua

• Costa Rica, Heredia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 10, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Hello,

I split my time between Heredia, Costa Rica and San Francisco, California with the goal of eventually moving south. I will purchase land for fruit production in 2016 and I am here to further my education and network.

Thank you,

Carlos

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #1197 on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »

What a cool company!  Welcome.  How long has this company been in business?

Thank you, we have been in business for 2 years now and we supply a lot of fruit to a lot of office workers. We would really like to expand and keep it fresh. We give fruit back to society through our over stock donation scheme and our fruit-to schools scheme is helping to educate the next lot about fruit. Fruit is awesome. Its great to be amongst you and read your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:05:14 PM by HMHausman »
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

inorick

• indonesia
    • View Profile
    • inorick.blogspot.com
« Reply #1198 on: August 13, 2015, 04:44:13 AM »
Hello,
My Name is Inorick, I am from Pontianak west borneo Indonesia. I work as IT Staff especially on Satellite Network comunication. My hobby is planting fruits like apple wax, manggo, guava and all tropical fruit. It nice to join discussion in this forum.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm Alexandre and want to join the community, I am in southeastern Brazil, creating a collection of fruit trees.
I have arabica coffee plantation, lychees, longans and mamey sapote.
I enjoy reading the posts to learn from you, here only have master !.
My English is ridiculous.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers