Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 335918 times)

ropi

• Bangka, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1525 on: August 05, 2019, 05:16:06 AM »
Pak Alfian,

nice to meet Indonesian in this forum.

greetings from Bangka Island.
regards,
Ropi
ropi.dagi@gmail.com

TheCoorg

• Kodagu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 12, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
Greetings, I am based in South India in a coffee growing district called Coorg. We enjoy sub-tropical weather climate here and are able to grow a wide variety of fruits. Unfortunately we have a lot of fruit bats around as well as birds and frequent wild elephant damage so we take what is left.

Thanks very much to the admins of this forum for providing a great platform to exchange information and make friends.

Looking forward to participating more on this platform.

Cheers
Bops

simeoni

• kenya
    • View Profile
pawpaw diseases
« Reply #1527 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
hi i am based in Kenya have an issue with my pawpaw plants there is crystals on the young fruit and when touched latex oozes out
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:44:37 PM by simeoni »

simeoni

• kenya
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
I AM BASED IN KENYA I AM A PAWPAW GROWER I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CRYSTALS ON THE YOUNG PAWPAW FRUITS AND WHEN TOUCHED LATEX OOZES OUT AND ONE HAVE ANY TREATMENT FOR THIS   

waynesinoz

• Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 19, 2019, 03:14:52 AM »
Hi to everyone. My name is Wayne. I'm from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia and I am retired and I am living in Da Nang, Vietnam. A friend in Queensland recommended I join this site because of the availability of many tropical fruits in Vietnam. I'm hoping I can help people track down seeds for fruits that grow here in Vietnam.
Wayne

cempedak9000

• The World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 21, 2019, 05:48:10 AM »
Hello all!

I'm Louis, an avid amateur fruit hunter. As you might have guessed from my username, my favourite fruit in the world is the Cempedak, the CH28 variety to be precise. Looking forward to learning more about fruit here!

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:50 AM »
Hi everyone! my name is George. I am studing marine engineering in Athens, Greece. I have had always a passion with growing fruits that i hadnt heard previously, tropical or not tropical and I was always searching for info here, so its time to become a member. I have a aslo a winery so lots of space for trying different kind of fruit trees.
I am looking forward in meeting new people and learning

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 26, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone! my name is George. I am studing marine engineering in Athens, Greece. I have had always a passion with growing fruits that i hadnt heard previously, tropical or not tropical and I was always searching for info here, so its time to become a member. I have a aslo a winery so lots of space for trying different kind of fruit trees.

Casmiroa cultivation and alcohol via fermentation are a great match, once your trees mature, you will have plenty of sugary fruit to produce alcohol with.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 29, 2019, 01:31:28 AM »

Casmiroa cultivation and alcohol via fermentation are a great match, once your trees mature, you will have plenty of sugary fruit to produce alcohol with.
Haha i hope it goes so well that i will have that much fruit to start experimenting with Fermantation!!! But if it goes so well i will post the results (in many many years )

Geejo George

• India, Kerala, Thrissur, tropical fruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
Dear All,

My name is Geejo George & from Thrissur , Kerala State , India and a lover of various types fruits & veggys
Currently a beginner into fruit farming and found this group very useful to learn & know more about various types of fruit plants all around the world.

Look forward to gain more knowledge from this group and thanks all in advance for the supports.

Regards

Pbala_Coco

• usa, tx, Adkins, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 04, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
hello y'all,
I am from Texas. looking to learn and grow a few things.

bye

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Hi, I just started reading this forum to better my knowledge of growing tropical fruit trees.  I  am a newbie, and most of my knowledge are from youtube.  I started my backyard garden last winter Nov/Dec 2018.  One of my mistake is that I planted in the winter, and another mistake was planting the trees before grade.  So when it rains, water pools up around the tree.  I went out and bought:

1. jackfruit - died from cold, and heavy rain - the leaves all died, and the root was rotted/red color.
2. 2 longan from seeds, i think may give up on them. I want fruit now now now.
3. atemoya - from seed, almost gave up on it.
4. lychee - died
5. chico sapote - thought it died from the rain. pulled it out of the dirt, and put it in a pot. it is still small, but show signs of growth, and flowering.
6. Barbados cherry - tree growing very large, and flowers, no fruit.
7. Pierce and El Bumpo Cherimoya
8. Papaya from seeds - died from the cold winter and rain.
9. Passion fruit
10.  alphonso mango
11. Thai Jujube / thornless - Planted in July 2019, it's fruiting now.
12. 3in1 apple tree from Home Depot
13. 2 grafted Atemoya trees. Planted in March 2019, both are fruiting now.  I am see fruit drops, which is sad. Each tree has about 10-15 fruits
14. Soursop from seeds in container
15. 2 Guava airlayers that I did myself from my mom's tree.
16. dragon fruits from cuttings.
17. Star fruit
18. jabo

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Hello,
My name is Larry. I live on the Arkansas / Louisiana border in zone 8A. I just got into citrus about 4 or 5 years ago. I have several citrumelo trees planted in my yard. I just added some Thomasville citrangerquats. I also have two Kimbrough Satsumas on the south side of my house that I give minimal protection during the winter. I have dozens of oak trees from around the world and also native chinquapin trees.  I just made my first successful citrus grafts this year. I also have access to a huge grove of trifoliate orange trees that have been growing at a old house place in Arkansas for at least 100 years. I used seedlings from those trees to do my first grafts.

Larry

tanayp

• United States, California, South San Jose, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 13, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
Hey,
I'm Tanay. From San Jose, CA in zone 9b

I currently have two small 1-2 year old mango (manila) and cherimoya (booth/white) trees. I also have a very large lemon tree (unknown cultivar) and am interested in growing Manilkara Zapote (aka Chikoo in India) and grafting Sitaphal (Indian sugar apple; annona squamosa) onto my Cherimoya tree.

Aside from this, I also have small jackfruit, longan, lychee, dragonfruit, and apricot seedlings that are growing, hopefully they will survive!

silbae0487

• South Korea Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 26, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
Hi everyone.
I'm park and South Korea ...Now I have 60 tropical fruit trees but still a newbie...    Hope:600 different fruit trees and my own huge greenhouse.

steven9650

• Povoação, São Miguel, Azores (Zone 11b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 03, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Steven and we just recently moved to Povoação in the south-east of São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores. I'm not entirely sure if we are Zone 11a or 11b here - perhaps someone has detailed knowledge of this regarding the islands? Most online resources tend to miss out the Azores altogether!

I am in my mid-40s but have only recently developed an interest in growing tropical fruit trees. Before São Miguel, we were in Central Portugal (Zone 9b) for 3 years where fruit trees in general tend to grow very well but unsurprisingly, the tropical varieties would struggle somewhat. In the end, it was forest fires that forced us to move elsewhere and the Azores seemed to be that happy medium between European winters and the true tropics.

We have some space on our plot for new trees but not so much that we can experiment - in other words, we are hopeful that we will find the most suitable varieties of tropical fruit trees for the unique climate that we have here in the Azores.

At the moment we have Azorean bananas and St Helen's Hybrid banana from seed (cold hardy variety that we tried to grow in Central Portugal). We have several grafted avocado trees (Hass/Reed/Bacon) and have also started a number of dwarf Papaya trees (Waimanolo) from seed that are doing well. Got some mangoes started from seed also. In addition, there are 3 annona trees that came with the property.

To be honest, as a newbie, I'm feeling really quite overwhelmed with the seemingly endless possibilities of what to grow here in this climate. I have also been surprised at seeing fruiting apple and pear trees around when it rarely goes below 10c (50f) here in the winter.

I am really looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences and, more specifically, fellow Azoreans of which I am hoping there are at least a few on this site :)

Thanks for reading!

Steven

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 03, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Steven and we just recently moved to Povoação in the south-east of São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores. I'm not entirely sure if we are Zone 11a or 11b here - perhaps someone has detailed knowledge of this regarding the islands? Most online resources tend to miss out the Azores altogether!

I am in my mid-40s but have only recently developed an interest in growing tropical fruit trees. Before São Miguel, we were in Central Portugal (Zone 9b) for 3 years where fruit trees in general tend to grow very well but unsurprisingly, the tropical varieties would struggle somewhat. In the end, it was forest fires that forced us to move elsewhere and the Azores seemed to be that happy medium between European winters and the true tropics.

We have some space on our plot for new trees but not so much that we can experiment - in other words, we are hopeful that we will find the most suitable varieties of tropical fruit trees for the unique climate that we have here in the Azores.

At the moment we have Azorean bananas and St Helen's Hybrid banana from seed (cold hardy variety that we tried to grow in Central Portugal). We have several grafted avocado trees (Hass/Reed/Bacon) and have also started a number of dwarf Papaya trees (Waimanolo) from seed that are doing well. Got some mangoes started from seed also. In addition, there are 3 annona trees that came with the property.

To be honest, as a newbie, I'm feeling really quite overwhelmed with the seemingly endless possibilities of what to grow here in this climate. I have also been surprised at seeing fruiting apple and pear trees around when it rarely goes below 10c (50f) here in the winter.

I am really looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences and, more specifically, fellow Azoreans of which I am hoping there are at least a few on this site :)

Thanks for reading!

Steven
Congratulations and good luck to your project!   ;D

strflyr78

• Orlando Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 06, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
Hello!  Living in central Florida and have planted 2 mangos trees in my backyard!  They are young and I'm new to planting them so any help on mangos would be great.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 06, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

Hello All,
I live in 9b Southern California and I have a gardening addiction...
I use zero poison, I don't consider most of what we do gardening to be natural... I mostly let things be and let the chips fall where they may. That said, I have bees, bugs, wildlife, and flourishing gardens. I eat what I grow, and share what I grow, why would I poison us... I grow normal stuff as well as Super Tropical fruits... my biggest success is probably Miracle fruit. My biggest failure is Avocado... I have murdered several!

ksloss

• USA, Hawaii, Hilo, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 11, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Aloha from the Big Island! My name is Karl and growing food has been a hobby of mine for a number of years. I have enjoyed traveling and trying the foods of other cultures. Blessed to be in a place now where I can grow so many things. Hoping to learn from you all on the forum and hopefully make some connections with like minded folks on the islands. Mahalo nui loa

Karl

lilyredcloud

• Houston, TX Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 14, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Hi, I found this group just now while searching for information on growing ice cream bean plants. I am also growing cherimoya. Living near Houston I thought I might as well try it even though the rest of my gardening never works out too well.

PlantHoarder

• USA, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 15, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Hello I am a former military person with a diverse background. I live in an area with a very wide variance in climates, fossil records show it used to be tropical with palm trees but it's now mostly an off the beaten path ski-season area and hiking trails the rest of the year.

I bought my first house in 2015 and have been slowly transforming a grassy but otherwise barren yard into a chaotic but hopefully lush mini-orchard with a wide variety of plant life. I'm no landscaper so it's all being done by brail pretty much.

The outdoor area: Apple trees, Peach Trees, Pear trees, 1 Nectarine, Grape vines, lots of non grafted roses, a breeding pair of hybridized pistachio trees, plum trees, cherry trees.

Indoors: All spice plants, a few banana plants, Jasmine, 1 orchid, some mint plants.

beachybryan18

• Haiti, Sud, Fond-Des-Blanc 13A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »
Hello my name is Bryan,

I'm from southern Iowa, moved to Haiti in 2014. I'm the administrative director on a small community agriculture development project by a small NGO from Ohio. My background is cattle farming and fruit farming "in temperate climates" I grow chestnuts, peaches, apples, plumbs, persimmons, pawpaws, and lots of berries.

We do a variety of things here in southern Haiti. Our main thing is a program that works along side schools to teach science, especially as it relates to trees and forests, as well as teaching tree nurseries and tree care. Students prepare trees in a nursery and then plant them out on their land. Our main focus with this program is late season avocados and nutrient dense fruits for food security. We also work in animal husbandry, conservation agriculture and have a seed bank for vegetable and tree seed, we're currently working to develop several food forests with natives as well as lots of exotics that will serve as living banks of seed and scions for the school program, and maybe a fruit arboretum in the future.

In the past year I've started to collect lots of exotics for the food forests, and while searching the internet looking for plant information, I often came across this forum. I hope to learn from everyone on here and am glad to contribute where I can as well. My biggest regret I have is that I didn't start planting trees as soon as I moved here in 2014. So for those of you pushing it off for next year, START NOW!

To list some of the trees where growing now, avocados, mangos, barbados cherry, guava, citrus, carambola, annonas, jackfruit, breadfruit, breadnut, sapodillas, cashew apple, pomegranate, star apple and tamarind. We also promote planting of moringa, katuk, chaya and haitian basket vine. Some of the exotics I recently started to collect, several Plinias, lots of garcinias, eugenias, rollinia, mamay sapote, black sapote, columbian sapote, canistel, loquat, durian, abui, santol, nance, mulberries, cempajack, morang, rambutan, pulasan, longan, carob, Syzygium sp.

Sincerely,

Bryan.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers