Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 406895 times)

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1600 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Greetings all,

I only recently discovered this forum, and am quite glad that I did. What a wealth of information, experiences, and expertise! I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

I'm in my late 30s and live in Mato Grosso, Brazil, at the southern fringe of the Amazon basin with my wife and our two boys. I have a longtime passion for the natural world, but only recently started to grow a few plants after we purchased a plot of land outside our town and started to plant some fruit trees and native shade species. We'll be moving onto the property hopefully by the end of this year, and we've accelerated the process of planting more trees and a few edible crops while we build our house. To date we have planted mangoes (three varieties), cashews, pitanga, Barbados cherry, uvaia, pequi (Caryocar brasiliense, Spondias dulcis -- not sure what this is called in English?, mammee apple, ciriguela, atemoya, soursop, açaí, a couple of different inga species, guava, calabura, and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting at the moment.

We also have a couple of grumixamas and a few bacupari (Garcinia gardneriana) waiting for the rainy season to be planted in the ground. Also seedlings of sugar apple, soursop, and açai either to plant or donate locally.

Climate-wise, we have well-demarcated wet (Nov to mid-April) and dry seasons (June to September). High daytime temperatures (high 30s C) and low relative humidity (20-40%) during the dry season.

As I said above, I look forward to learning a lot here!

Cheers

Kiwano

• BEDFORDVIEW JOHANNESBURG
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »
Hi everybody, I am a newbie here. I stay in South Africa which you can imagine has regions ideal for tropical fruit, of course not as tropical as further up north in Africa. On the other hand, it is one of the few African countries with regions that do get snow regularly in the winter. I am however, not staying in a part which gets snow. Thank you for this forum, I am just crazy about fruit and is now into exotic tropical fruit. My fist Dragon Fruit trees are in the ground and I have ordered tropical fruit seeds from anywhere I can get.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 16, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
hi everyone, my name is Austin, i live in Miami Florida, recently stumbled across this forum a few days ago and decided to become a member. i currently am growing tomatoes, jalapenos, watermelons, cantaloupes, carrots, green onion, garlic, broccoli, celery, and pineapples. just recently bought a lime tree, tangerine tree and a grafted valencia pride mango which i was told could be "easily kept in a pot" HA.... what a joke, well im stuck with it now, but i plan on adding a few more dwarf mangos to my collection. ive been looking at pickering, carrie, and cogshall..... who knows, i might just buy all of them.

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 17, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Gabriel and I am a Civil Engineering Student with an unhealthy passion for plants as well. I have several tropical/subtropical fruit trees in the yard and I love to discover (and collect) new plants every day!
-Gabe

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 30, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
Hi. My name is Mike. Really loving this website. I have dabbled in subtropical and tropical fruits for 30 years while working as a physician. As part of my transition to retirement,(not quite there yet) I moved to a property in San Diego county and have started a new orchard. So far have the following in the ground, all planted since last October:

Cherimoya--about 10 varieties.
Atemoya 2 varieties.
Ilama 2 varieties.
Pecan 2 varieties.
Almond 2 varieties.
Apples about 6 varieties.
Approximately 20 stonefruit including apricots, peaches, plums nectarines, pluots.
2 Jujubes.
6 Avocado varieties.
2 pomegranits.
6 fig trees.
Macademia.
1 chestnut.
Canistel.
Ceylon gooseberry.
4 different Mulberries.
Sabara and Paulista Jaboticaba.
Hap ip and Kaimana lychee.
1 finger lime.
1 each washinton navel orange, Persian sweet lemon, Valencia orange, Minneola tangelo, and clementine tangerine.
2 sapodilla,
Purple passiaon fruit.
3 varieties of pink and red dragonfruit.
2 papaya varieties.

I am sure I missed a few. Also have a large vegetable garden. Want to put in a nice size greenhouse for seedlings and ultratropicals within the year. I am really enjoying my transition and look forward to learning a lot from forum members. Life is much easier when you can learn from other peoples experiences.

Stpetedan@gmail.com

• Usa, FL, Tampa, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: August 08, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
Hello Everybody
I'm Dan based out of Tampa Florida. The zone I'm is 9b.  A computer engineer took up gardening during lockdown so I'm total newbie and joined this forum to learn from the experts.
I have couple of mango, banana,  guava , papaya, sugar apple and lemon trees.
Very excited to join this community and looking forward to all the interactions

HelenaLuchinger2000

• Augsburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 15, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Since this is a new forum I think we should have an introductory post for old and new members alike.

Hi, I am Helena and I love tropical fruits. I am happy to be here.

Man goes

• WEST PALM BEACH,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 30, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »
Good Evening,
Mango fanatic here from south Florida

MikeT

• Feeling Seedy
    • Cairns. Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 31, 2020, 03:15:46 AM »
I thought I had better re-introduce myself as I am back here as MikeT after having Mike T as my identity on here before. I am in Cairns, Australia and had had a long interest in tropical fruits and have mostly worked in environmental fields. It is great to see the forum expanding with new and exciting people and great to see the seasoned campaigners still getting around.
Cheers
MikeT

arthurpete

• gulf coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: September 01, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Greetings,

Gulf coast resident here. I got carried away this summer and planted a ton of seeds with no experience...Several Guavas, Surinam Cherry, Carob, Gooseberries, Pitaya, Lychee - lol and a bunch of others that probably wont amount to much but its fun and maybe ill get lucky and learn a thing or two.

Im going to focus more on native stuff that grows well here...passionflower, persimmon, paw paw, muscadines etc. Looking forward to digging into some posts here.

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: September 04, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Greetings everyone been here a little bit just wondering why is it sometimes my personal messages seem not to work?
This is the second time this has happened. :(

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Joe here from Huntington Beach, CA.  I have been collecting palm trees from all over the world for the past 12 years.  As the palms are maturing and getting taller, I wanted to plant tropical fruit trees under them to give different textures and of course, enjoy the fruits.  At the moment, I am interested in understory fruit trees that do not need full sun.  Any recommendations are welcomed.

HI_Chris

• USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: September 23, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've spent quite some time reading lots of very useful information here -- thanks so very much! -- and now thought I'd say hi.

Two years ago we moved to East Hawaii (550' elevation, 160" rainfall but excellent drainage) and have begun the slow process of reclaiming from the jungle some land that used to be a flower farm.  We are fortunate to have mature avocado trees scattered around the property (producing 8 months out of the year), but we are just starting with the fruit trees.  It seems whenever I fill an area with trees, I find even more that I 'need' to plant.

I'll be asking some questions on other threads, later on.

Chris

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers