Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 394151 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »
Hi, I just joined yesterday, trying to find help for my tiny mango plant!

I am not a gardener....seems like everything I try to grow dies  :-[

I live in Canada, we get very cold winters and very hot summers!

Hoping I can find some advice for my mango tree!

I think you came to the right place because we have some forum members in Canada growing mangos, i'm sure they can help you, along with the many other mango experts here.  Welcome to the group!
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »
rusahlynn, welcome. I assume you're keeping it indoors maybe in a greenhouse during cold weather. Hopefully you'll get ideas to grow other fruit from this forum.

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
Hi, I just joined yesterday, trying to find help for my tiny mango plant!

I am not a gardener....seems like everything I try to grow dies  :-[

I live in Canada, we get very cold winters and very hot summers!

Hoping I can find some advice for my mango tree!

I think you came to the right place because we have some forum members in Canada growing mangos, i'm sure they can help you, along with the many other mango experts here.  Welcome to the group!

Hi rusahlynn:
Oscar is correct - there are a couple of Canadians growing mangos who post on this forum.  I am one of them and also have other tropicals including citrus, bananas, etc.  I'm in the Toronto area and started with mangos about three years ago.  Not sure how much help I can be but will try.

There's another person in Canada that I know is on this forum who has had good success with his mango plant.  This is his profile, if you want to contact him:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=77

Robert

JD

• US, FL, Tallahassee, 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 01, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
Hey Tropical Fruit Forum!

I have been known as "JD" for all of my life. I currently reside in Tallahassee, FL (8B) with my hometown and family in South Florida.

I am currently growing several fruits: berries, peaches, plums, figs, mulberry, persimmon, pomegranate, pineapple, paw paw, and pear. Some in-ground and some in pots. In South Florida, my family has sapodilla, mango, avocado, palm, and papaya growing.  I hope to grow a few mango and avocado trees here...in pots for winter protection. We plan to expand what my family is growing to include more subtropical fruits like canistel, mamey sapote, miracle fruit, and jaboticaba.

I have tasted a few rare and ultra rare fruit. Earlier this month, I sampled jaboticaba and canistel for the first time while visiting the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead. It was an enjoyable visit. I must return when the mango, ice cream bean, etc are ready for harvest. Mulberry were in season and Pakistan was the best by far.

The goal of joining this forum is to share and learn as much as I can.

PS: I have a question about how to grow jaboticaba from seed (I have a few). I will search the forum and hopefully find an answer. If no, that will be my second post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:30:06 PM by JD »
JD
Tallahassee, FL
Zone 8B

rusahlynn

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm keeping my mango indoors :)
Glad to hear there are other Canadian mango growers! I will start a new post with my questions :)
Thanks!

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
Re: Waldi1
« Reply #580 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi Everyone ,
Just Registered myself.Since I retired myself 6 years ago I started to colect tropical fruit seed and plants without any knowledge.
Meanwhile I've got about 100 different species of which 50% is flowering and /or fruiting,Everything my plants ever get is 100% water,That's all.
I also have sometimes Watermelon,Melon ,Sorghum,Amarant,Pineapple etc.
what I like to learn is the Latinwords for all the species and in this Forum I see a good chance.
A few days ago when I browsed the forum some Guys where complaning about Mango Ataulfo . The ones I got 25 trees are as sweet as sugar,come and try for yourself.
Helmut

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum... :)

Rusahlynn. :) I'm glad you found other Canadian Mango growers.. hopefully they'll be able to help. But keep us posted on how your little tree does..:) It would be nice to see it make it through..:) I grow some mangoes in pots as well, so if there is anything i can help with, just let me know.

JD, you've a great collection so far and I'm sure you'll probably be adding much more..:) Here's a good place to start your Jaboticaba reading http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.msg58386#msg58386...:)

Waldi1...welcome to the forum, retiring with more than a 100 different fruit trees sounds wonderful..:P

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi Green Thumb,
Thank's for welcoming mi to the forum
Yes ,I like fruits and I like to keep busy,and Im not finished collecting
Trouble is The Mex Gov put a thumb on plant and seed imports.
Saludos

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #583 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »
Hi Helmut.  Nice to see you got registered.  Welcome!  Jay

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Hi Jay,
Thank's for welcoming me on the Forum,Had a little struggle to register but now I'm here.
Helmut

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
Welcome JD and waldi1 to the forum.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #586 on: April 03, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
Welcome all!!!!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Bienvenido Helmut! Are you german?

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
Helmut...

:) That's the great thing about being a fruit collector, any collector really, that you are never finished collecting.. ;). Just when you think I can't get anymore, I have no more room, I shouldn't... there is always that one elusive plant you wish you could have.

You'll find that most of us here are infected by the same bug.. ;D
It'll be great to learn from you about the plants you've had experience with, and hopefully see you add more to your collection..:)

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 04, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
Yes Felipe ,
Soy Aleman ( Bavarian from Munich),My Job brought me to Mexico 25 years ago.
Thanks'for welcoming me .
Helmut

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 04, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Hi Green Thumb,
Most my experience come from trial and error, luckely I had little errors and failiers so far.
Helmut

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
Yes Felipe ,
Soy Aleman ( Bavarian from Munich),My Job brought me to Mexico 25 years ago.
Thanks'for welcoming me .
Helmut

Servus amigo,
I'm from Spain, but my job brought me to Munich..  ;D Nice place here, but not for growing tropicals ;)
As soon if I have to chance, I will either move back to Canary Islands or else somewhere in the tropics... souther Mexico would be a good choice  ::)

pFEEDme

• USA, CA/SoCal, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Hello there fellow gardeners! I've been an occasional lurker but decided to come out of hiding to join fellow tropical fruit lovers. I grew up in Gia Dinh, Vietnam, in a beautifully manicured oasis tended by my incomparable grandmother. Then I was uprooted to Orange County, CA and lived for many years without a garden; but could always look forward to visiting every summer to taste the fruits of her labor. Since the government claimed eminent domain over the majority of our land about 10 years ago, my personal orchard is gone. Now that I have my own home, Im trying to recreate the nostalgic childhood with some of my favorite fruit trees and flowers, but also combine the wonderful diversity of America and beyond. Most of my plants are grafted gifts from relatives, so I sometime do not know their scientific names. I try to be water wise when possible, but I also like to push the limits with some plants that are out of my growing zone. I make a lot of mistakes along the way but gardening is all about trial and error.

My humble patch of dirt in zone 10b currently has
  • Fruits: Kohala longan, Bien Hoa Pomelo, White Dragon Fruits, 4-in-1 Asian pears, unknown pomegranate variety, Australian Atemoya, unknown guava, passion fruit, Alano chico sapote, 2 sweet orange trees @ least 40 year old from previous owner
  • Flowers: Coral red quince, white peach (fruiting),pink peach (fruiting), tri-color peach (flowering), pink camellia, rose standards and rose bushes in various colors, forsythia, ochna serrulata, hibiscus schizopetula, chinese wisteria, pink bellflower, anemones, poppies, calla lilies, lupines, orchids, irises, mandevilla, bougainvillea, clivia, fuchsias, lily of the valley, columbines, foxgloves, cosmos, kangaroo paws, orchid cacti, cyclamens, plumeria, lavender, cassias, mums, white and pink bleeding hearts, angel wing begonia, yesterday-today-tomorrow, varnished hebe,  and many more that I can't remember...
  • Leaf/stem trees/shrubs: 'Tsuma Gaki' and 'Aratama' japanese maples, horsetail plant, leucadendron 'Jester', Sticks on Fire euphorbia, jade plant, finger jade plant, aloes, pistachio chinensis, spider plant, curly willows, aeoniums, curry tree, dracaena
  • Vegetables/Herbs: the garden varieties typical of western and asian cuisines
I'm hoping to add the following...in the very near future: Barbados cherry, Carambola, Black pearl/diamond wax apple, Meiwa kumquat, mangoes - still researching which varieties, M. magnifica, Christmas cacti, Adeniums - just ordered seeds on ebay from Thailand, Vine jelly (sương sm), Ochna integerrima - 12 petal kind - failed many attempts to grow from seeds.

Thanks for reading and hope to learn from you all soon!

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 06, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Hi there, I found this site several times when searching for info. and had gradually started reading more of it in the last few weeks, so I thought I'd come out of the computer closet and free myself by declaring that yes, I'm another tropical fruit lover as well.  (And yes, I'm another Aussie, a Queenslander too!) :)

I'm trying my hand at growing many things at the moment, but no ultra-tropicals. I live in an elevated area (440m), and my climate is a cooler sub-tropical one. No frosts here, but with winter mins 6-10c overnight I do accumulate some chill hours. I only moved here 3 1/2 years ago, so all my plants are young - am getting my first decent crops off the older trees this year.

Some of the trees I have are Mango, Avocado, Lychee, Longan, Persimmon, various Citrus, Jakfruit, Wampee, Sapodilla, Sapote (Black, White, Green, Mammey), Atemoya, Cherimoya, Rollinia, Peach, Pomegranate, Fig, Guava, Passionfruit, various Eugenia,various Jaboticaba, Canistel, Wax Jambu, Apple, Papaya, Blueberry, Babaco and more. I'm finding my ripening times are about a 4 week lag behind Brisbane fruits.

I'd been growing fruit trees for about 16 years, but after I moved I started growing a wider range, so I'm having to re-learn everything again - lots of trial and error, and alot of fun. Guess learning never stops anyway. (Still make odd rookie errors occassionally - last month I was so excited  that my Sapodilla's had set fruit, I fertilised and had the whole lot aborted. I'm still kicking myself!) I take all the advice I can get, hence stretching to this forum. I hope I can make some positive contributions, but I'll probably be mainly asking for advice (apologies in advance if my Q's are too dumb and I shame myself.) Thanks for making this forum available, I'm happy to now being part of it, and look forward to 'meeting' you all.

Veronica

rusahlynn

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »

Rusahlynn. :) I'm glad you found other Canadian Mango growers.. hopefully they'll be able to help. But keep us posted on how your little tree does..:) It would be nice to see it make it through..:) I grow some mangoes in pots as well, so if there is anything i can help with, just let me know.

JD, you've a great collection so far and I'm sure you'll probably be adding much more..:) Here's a good place to start your Jaboticaba reading http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.msg58386#msg58386...:)

Waldi1...welcome to the forum, retiring with more than a 100 different fruit trees sounds wonderful..:P

Thanks :) it is growing new leaves now...so I'm hoping they don't turn brown as well....I will keep you posted on how it does!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #595 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Veronica. Glad you boldly came out of lurker's computer closet.  What mangoes are you growing?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
Hi Harry, thanks for the welcome to this forum. :)  I'm sure it'll be of no surprise to you that I have Kensington Pride   ;) - also Alison Red KP(thanks BMc), Honey Gold(developed from KP, but different taste- very sweet and tangy), Kwan, King Thai (I think alternative name for Mahachanok), Florigon and Glen. I love our local varieties, but I'm looking forward to tasting the Asian and US varieties and see what the differences are (hoping I've made decent choices). Unfortunately I don't have room for more mango trees unless something extra-special comes along ;D.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Hi, folks. Have visited this site quite a few times since I started researching mangoes, and decided to sign up.
I recently got the mango bug (the flavors of my youth!) and planted Cogshall, Graham, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Neelam and Pickering. I used to have a mandarin tree that bore huge quantities of fruit, but it died some years ago. So I have also planted a Ponkan mandarin. And, since I had a protected spot to spare, an Emperor lychee.
It will be a few years before the fruit appear, so in the meantime, I keep returning to tropical fruit forums to read and wait ...
Full disclosure: I was born in Hyderabad, India (I left in 1986), by way of Dubai (United Arab Emirates), Mississauga (Canada) and Logan, Utah. This is my 10th year in St. Petersburg.
I am a copy editor/news designer for a news organization; my wife is a graphic designer. We have a son and a daughter; both are in college.
It has been hard work the past couple of months; in addition to the fruit trees, I also made changes to the landscaping. And, to make it more challenging, spread 15 cubic yards of mulch around the new plantings as well as around the existing shrubs.
Saleem

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »

Thanks :) it is growing new leaves now...so I'm hoping they don't turn brown as well....I will keep you posted on how it does!!

Ohh that's great, it will make it..:) Sure, i have my fingers crossed for you..:)

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Hello everyone, I registered with the site because I have been a hobbyist of fruit trees for about 3 years now.  I looking forward to learning from others as I am still a novice when it comes to growing. 

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers