Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 394247 times)

PY

• USA, PA, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #650 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I am looking forward to growing a few tropical again. I have 3 full spectrum light bulbs in the bathroom. It didn't seem to help at all. the wax jambu lost all leaves and eventually died :( I am still trying to find my way around the group. I saw a member called Jeff who had a few lychees in a pot and I believe he is in Brooklyn. That is amazing. I do have 2 pommes and being more hardy I have no problem winterizing them. Have had them for 2 years but no fruits. Lots of lush leaves this year. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I also read somewhere (cant remember where now) someone said that LED lights, 400W are better than full spectrum?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
Hello from encinitas california everyone. Love the forum. New to gardening but jumping in w both feet. Have two avocados, three dragonfruit, apple, almond, chilean guava, Surinam cherry, grape, fig and pomelo in the ground. Planning a lot more. Mango first.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
you should grow yellow dragonfruit, is so exquisite a good for the health.

the chilean papaya is resistent to the frost ,but not the snow, although here you  can see papaya of mount like a wild plant, so that pucharse a fruit and extracted seeds of them.

the custard apple also grow good, just get cuttings in the section of interchange or buy of this forum.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

the chilean papaya is resistent to the frost ,but not the snow, although here you  can see papaya of mount like a wild plant, so that pucharse a fruit and extracted seeds of them.

the custard apple also grow good, just get cuttings in the section of interchange or buy of this forum.

Thanks. Ill check them out. Actually have mexican papaya growing from seed. Its about 4" right now. Is chilean papaya the same as our pawpaw that grows in th southern US? I thought about custard apple but theyare too sweet for me.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »

Thanks. Ill check them out. Actually have mexican papaya growing from seed. Its about 4" right now. Is chilean papaya the same as our pawpaw that grows in th southern US? I thought about custard apple but theyare too sweet for me.

the scientific name is Carica candamarcensis, is good and grow in mediterrean and subtropical climates

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »

the scientific name is Carica candamarcensis, is good and grow in mediterrean and subtropical climates

The Chilean papaya, is not really a papaya, nor does it taste anything like it. Very bland, only good cooked in syrup. I think it is  Vasconcellea cauliflora. At least that it is what i saw widely sold in Vina and Santiago area of Chile:

Carica candamarcensis = Vasconcellea pubescens = mountain papaya.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
really I'm tasted  the chilean papaya and is  more great that you hand here , but yes  is  considered papaya.

pwoodie

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
I am new to this site and have questions regarding how to and where to buy materials for mushroom growing in Costa Rica. I have experience back home in the U.S. but don't even know where I can find vermiculite and other materials in my new country. Any ideas? I don't even know where to look on this forum. Any guidance on how to find help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #658 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
I am new to this site and have questions regarding how to and where to buy materials for mushroom growing in Costa Rica. I have experience back home in the U.S. but don't even know where I can find vermiculite and other materials in my new country. Any ideas? I don't even know where to look on this forum. Any guidance on how to find help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

There's a couple of forum members located in Costa Rica. They are the most likely to be able to help you locate the materials you want. Not sure if they are reading this thread, but one is Peter and the other is Jesse. I forget their addies right now. Maybe the moderators or someone else remembers so you can write to them directly?
Oscar

Xisca

• Canary zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 21, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Hi Guys, I am Francisca from the Canary. I live at 500m high in a dry place (less than 500mm for sure), with 5 months drought every year, even more if you do not count when the rain is just wetting the surface.  My place is steep and I cultivate in terraces + between rocks on the hill.
+10°C in winter mornings, and +30°C in summer.
BUT we have Calima! then it can be sooo hot, and with dry wind. This is a desert wind with sand.

The natural trees around are Canary pines and drago trees. Well, also almonds grow wild.
Then it is a matoral, a little like California or western south Africa.
I was going to forget the many opuntia, great fruit, great pads, great water tank ;)

Oh! Of course my local money is Tagasaste seeds! lol :) They are supposed to be well known now all around the world, but actually, the Tedera we have is much smaller but more drought resistant. Bitumina bituminosa, its resistance vary according to its origin.

I have an orange and avocado and mango orchard, + papaya, banana, apple (Anna, Golden Dorsett, Fuji), kaki (persimmon), almond, manzanilla olive, lemon, jujuba, canistel, chicle, black zapote, mulberry, fig, nispero, lulo, arbol de tomate, pitanga, lili pili, guava, guava fresa, natal plum, passion fruit... About 100 trees. I slowly remove some orange trees, they are old and some are too ill, and they need too much water.

Also veggies and non fruiting trees, I have made a few tea trees from seeds.
I also need the necessary for hens, as I do not want to buy any bad stuff that I don't know what's in. I have chayamansa and moringa, and sorgho and amaranth...

I look for all type of small fruits and nuts that are water wise. I am already happy, but I will be even more when I can eat without going out of the finca! I have already resigned for coconut oil, I will always buy it!

My only problem will be for chocolate, except if I find a variety that can stand +9°to12°C as minimum winter temps. I hesitate to get anacardo (cashew nut), might not be warm enough...

see read yah!

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »
xisca, of el chocolate in neerland, gow chocolate in greenhouse, ¿can you built a greenhouse and grow cacao in you backyard?
 Also, the mexican varieties are so resistent to the fresh temperatures like in canarias.

Camilo           

Xisca

• Canary zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks, I will make a post at the right place, so that I can enquire about the right variety. Sure I can have a green house, but this is a pity in a good climate, and my place is large, natural and beautiful, with stone walls all around...

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »
Bienvenida Xisca!

Where are you lacated? In CI at 500m over sea level you will have a very hard time growing tropicals. In your case, I would focus on growing sub-tropicals and temperate fruits. You say you are growing mango, did you ever get them to fruit at your location?

Southern Gent

• Helena Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Greetings,  I play at yardwork but in Fruit trees Figs are my Joy.  I planted a " Zumwalt Fig Tree " about 5 years back and it's 12 ft tall, a Brown Turkey 5 years, Black Italian 4 years, White Marses 4 years & " KOK Fig Tree " last year. The Kok Fig is named after my friend that gave me the rooted tree. The " Kok Fig first crop fuit is the size of a pear or tennis ball but the Zumwalt Figs is sweeter.

Due to drought conditions in central Alabama this is my first fruited crop to mature.

Bill aka Southern Gent

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Hi All - From New Orleans
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
Hi All,
My name is Brad and i live outside of New Orleans in Kenner
i have a decent size lot for the suburbs, but , have been thinking of moving to the city
so most of what i planted recently is in pots.
But, since i own a few rental properties i actually planted a few things there.

I purchased a "Caribbean Red" Papaya from  the store a couple of years ago
planted some seeds, forgetting about them, and now i have several Papaya trees.
and i LOVE papaya.
Incidentally, if anyone knows what the fruit and trees will be like
the "Caribbean Red was an F1 i am pretty sure....
So, i dont know what went into making it, or what the parents were
I have had about 5-6 fruit from these trees and they are very good though...

I am always looking for interesting fruit trees and herbs
especially tropical or rare.

right now, i am looking for...
marang - or a tasty Jackfruit or cempedak
Lucuma
Camu Camu

Anyway, i also like medicinal herbs, fruits
anything healthy, and anything tropical :)

I have ( heres a few)
several Guava
Lychee (just popped up from seed)
Sapote (seeds)
Passionflower vine (2x edilus 10ft)
Satsuma (very large prolific tree)
Avocado
Mamey Sapote - 8 inches

growing - -
Baobob D. (SEEDLING)
Acacia S. - (just planted)
Mimosa H.. - (just planted)
Bixa A.. - (just planted)

Calea (dream herb)
Sun opener (relaxing tea- herb)
Catnip
Korth (Kratom)

several sweet and hot Peppers

pics of the yard
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/911review/library/?sort=3&page=1

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
Introducing Myself
« Reply #665 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »
Hi. (ohoh, the devil is here)

Im a male but Im also sharing this "frukt" with my wife. We moved to portugal last fall and now we are planting and planing our fruitgarden. And, since we dont know so much about fruit-trees we wanted to join this forum. Great stuff!

We like to eat fruit all day and nothing else. We will see how that goes. Its not that we dont like the taste of cooked food, its just that we are convinced that eating fruit is the best way to nurse the body we live in.

So,, to us its important to find fruit-trees that can produce fruit to us all year around. We already have Loquat and orange doing a good start. And we dont think May until december will be the problem. The problem will be in the winter and early spring. Well well :)

Please feel free to give us tips and advice. We would like to plant more (sub)tropical plants and we are currently looking on fruitlovers to make an order. Our place is great because we dont seem to have frost here while other places on algarve had -7.

We have 3 hectars of land. Its a big hill sloping down to a river that has start to dry out. This river will be gone in 1 month i think and this year it was wet. We have been thinking of making a borehole but we want to try without. We have a matermine and its coming water there all year around. We have only sunpanels so a pump would need more of that stuff, and we want to try without so that we want be depended on buying sunpanels and div.

Me and my wife are not really wife and husband because we have no ring and church :) We have a daughter thats 2,5 year old. Many people would call us boring i think. We dont drink and goes to parties. We rise early and goes to bed before 22.00. But i dont think we are boring. We have great humor and we are talking about something important instead of all the shit they talk about in parties :) We like music, we like art. We like alternative lifestyle and alternative people as long its not only a surface and you are welcome for a visit in our caravan whenever its not taken already.

Things we planted:

Nectarines, peach, pear, apple, plum, cherry, mango (keith, osteen), sapodilla (i think), macadamia, bananas, lichi, persimmons, datepalms, avocado, gueva, kiwi, tamarillo, passionfruit, cherimoya, figs, mullberry, apricots, pitanga.

I maybe forgott about someone but please help us fill that list :)

piz
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:11:05 AM by frukt »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 27, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
Hi. I am Tom in central Alabama USA. I am a master gardener and love trying to grow citrus in Montgomery.  I have a farming background. We had cotton, cattle, pecans and soy beans. Also some timber. The citrus forum.up is,having a lot of problems and it may get shut down. I have enjoyed it very much and this forum came to my attention as a good citrus site.

Xisca

• Canary zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 29, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
Bienvenida Xisca!

Where are you lacated? In CI at 500m over sea level you will have a very hard time growing tropicals. In your case, I would focus on growing sub-tropicals and temperate fruits. You say you are growing mango, did you ever get them to fruit at your location?

Yes they do fruit! And I also eat my papayas and my bananas... I am located in a barranco in the west/ north west of la palma. I just avoid to plant tropicals that come from rain forests, because here it is dry. Sure, I water, but it must be saved carefully...

LumpyLumpAlot

• Zone 10b Homestead,fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 01, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
Hi everybody

My name is Devin
I work for the FAA air traffic controller, I am married with 5 great kids!
I live in Homestead, FL and love to grow fruit trees and tinker with tomatoes n veggies in the winter.
I love to fish and dive for lobsters in the summer and in the winter I go shrimping when I can. I try to grill out at least once or 2 a mont and have started to use my ugly drum smoker that I made. I speak fluent Spanish and English.
Thanks for letting me be a part of your forum I have found a ton of useful info here in the short amount of time that I have been reading posts

Mr. Clean

• MangosByMail.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
Welcome Camilo, Brill, Brad, Piz, Tom and Devin!  Look forward to your posts on the forum.
www.MangosByMail.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 70+ mango trees; 12 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; 2 longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:23 AM »
Hello, I'm Illia. I live way up north in Washington, where not even our summers are warm enough to grow something as simple as tomatoes without a greenhouse.

I've been into growing tropical fruits/vegetables for 2 years now and am quite passionate about it. I use my house, my greenhouse(s), and whatever I have available to grow various citrus including Kaffir Limes, Limequats, Oranges, Lemons, Grapefruit, and Blood Oranges as well as multiple Miracle Fruit plants, dozens of Bananas of various types, two different species of Ice Cream beans, seedling Carambolas, (star fruit) Sugar Cane, Passionfruit, Galangal, Turmeric, Roselle, Cassabanana, Lemongrass, Cinnamon, and Jackfruit. My wishlist is a long and slowly shrinking list of various things that I'm too excited about, and always find a way to squeeze into my "jungle" of a greenhouse. (though I'm in the works of constructing another)
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
Welcome everyone that recently posted. A lot of new interesting members, look forward to future discussions.

frukt,

Have you looked into growing perennial Cucurbita ficifolia. It has produced for me into the winter in Southern CA (USA). It can also be grafted with squash, melons, etc.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Hi, my name is Brett. I am from Palm Beach County, FL, USA. I grew up around fresh tropical fruit but I never cared for it much as a youth... I remember throwing it at other kids ('Orange wars' broke out in my neighborhood at least once) and squeezing the pits out, but not really liking it.  I spent 4 years in Asia and I fell in love with the durians, mangosteen, mangos, rambuttans, etc. So now I am happy to live in a tropical climate!

I just now started growing fruit, and have a few small "trees" in my yard that don't bear.

My other hobbies include Thai and asian cooking, yoga, drumming and surfing.

Hope to meet some of you at the local festivals and events.

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
Hi, my name is Mike. I'm new to growing fruit trees. My wife and I live in SW Florida. She is from Vietnam and i'm originally from Ohio, lived in North Carolina for 20 years prior to moving to Florida. She introduced me to exotic fruit about 15 years ago. Love it! We just started planting trees at our new house this month. I love the forum, lots of experienced growers here.

Mike

nannernator

• Austin, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 10, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Nan and I am newbie to growing tropical fruit plants. I've been  stalking  this site and the Garden Web forum for information on growing mangoes and am so excited to get my first grafted Nam Doc Mai. I did order from TT and will see how the tree looks when it arrives. I am in Austin Texas and will be growing my mango tree in a large container since we do have frost during winter. Other plants I am growing right now are, plumeria and Mali Chat  Jasmine. I also have a 3-year mango Kent seedling from the fruit I bought at Costco. I know that any fruit I get from that  will probably not taste great but hey, it's a pretty plant ;)
Thank you for all the useful information I've read so far and looking forward to more!

Nan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:31:57 PM by nannernator »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers