Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 394143 times)

Lisabean

• USA, Oregon, Eugene, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #675 on: July 17, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »
I am Lisa and I am growing my first avocado tree from a seed.  I have never grown an avocado from a seed before, and in 2011 I stuck the seed in a pot that had something else in it and then I forgot about it."Eh...forget about it.."  And I did!  About six months later I saw a shoot coming up, and as a curious grower, I waited and when I saw a leaf, I checked my Sunset Western and identified the leaf as an avocado leaf.  Well, I was busy and didn't check it out any further, and I let it grow.  Then the winter came and I kept covering it with a garbage bag, and then when the sun would come out during the day I would uncover it, back and forth, back and forth, until one night I forgot!  Yep, it froze.  But, I didn't pull it up, because you have to wait and see...maybe it would come back?  Well, the good news is, it did come back.  In fact, it sprouted two shoots off to each side, and now it is about one foot tall.  The top leaves are about as long as the tree is tall.  So, I always heard that a grower has to have a male/female tree within so many miles (?) in order to have your tree "pollinated".  If anyone has any info on that, I would like to know.  Also, I read this evening that I am suppose to cut off the top leaves so my tree will "bush" out?  Any advice?  Next, I have this annoying squirrel that refuses to leave my tree alone.  Now that it is taller I don't have as much problem with the dumb rodent trying to dig up the seed, but about once a week I have to bury the hole the little bugger has dug trying to get at the seed.  I think I will have a coronary if I come home and see my tree chewed up.  Still open to advice.  I have been out of California for ten years, and all I miss are artichokes, avocados, and my oldest son!

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
aloha!
my name is Micah and i love to grow and eat things that are from our earth.  i live in waipio valley hawaii with my wife and two kids.  we grow taro and over 100 tropical fruits and nuts.. im always trying to expand the garden with other pleasantrees. ive been surfing the net for years looking for sources of the rarities from around the world. i have a small seed permit for importing seeds to grow. i love the fact that we do a service to all mankind by growing these treasures to perpetuate them for future generations all the while eating healthy saving money and helping our earth/air/soil...seems to me a win win situations. i growing the seeds of the trees i feel worthy to spread out on the island.  my family does a horseback riding trip by the orchards with samples sometimes as this helps spread the word of these tasty treasures. :)

Mr. Clean

• MangosByMail.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 17, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »
Welcome Brett, Mike, Nan, Lisa, and Micah!

Nan:  You may wish to check that Austin is warm enough during the winter to not kill a mango tree.  Or be prepared to protect it from the cold during winter.  Search the forum for cold protection ideas.  I don't recommend growing a mango seedling, see comments below.

Lisa:  It is recommended to only grow grafted Avocado trees because it can take 20 years (if at all) for a seedling avocado to fruit and their is no assurance the quality of the fruit will resemble the fruit that the seed came from.  In addition, certain avocados are more cold tolerant than others.  You should be able to buy grafted trees from a nursery in your area.  Otherwise, you may be able to have Pine Island Nursery ship one to you.  It is cheaper to buy a grafted tree, than to pay someone years later to $300+ to "top work" your tree to graft a known variety onto your tree.

Tipping is good once the tree has gotten a certain size to encourage lateral growth.

Micah:
www.MangosByMail.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 70+ mango trees; 12 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; 2 longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #678 on: July 18, 2013, 02:26:47 AM »
aloha!
my name is Micah and i love to grow and eat things that are from our earth.  i live in waipio valley hawaii with my wife and two kids.  we grow taro and over 100 tropical fruits and nuts.. im always trying to expand the garden with other pleasantrees. ive been surfing the net for years looking for sources of the rarities from around the world. i have a small seed permit for importing seeds to grow. i love the fact that we do a service to all mankind by growing these treasures to perpetuate them for future generations all the while eating healthy saving money and helping our earth/air/soil...seems to me a win win situations. i growing the seeds of the trees i feel worthy to spread out on the island.  my family does a horseback riding trip by the orchards with samples sometimes as this helps spread the word of these tasty treasures. :)

Now you've done it Micah! Joined the biggest fruit junkie group ever. You may be sorry because now you'll find out you don't have every fruit on the planet yet planted at your place.  ;)
PS where's my golden horse apples?
Oscar

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #679 on: July 19, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
Hi there

My name is Jared and I don't grow (NYC apartment, couldn't if I tried), but I do have a love for hunting down fruits I've never had before. I travel a lot for work. Last winter I spent three months in Malaysia and was coming across so many new fruits that I decided to create a youtube series reviewing what I found. I am, I admit no expert in this field, but its a fascination of mine and I hope to learn more from this forum. The series I made is called "weird fruit explorer" if you'd like to take a look.

- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

Mr. Clean

• MangosByMail.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 19, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
Hi there

My name is Jared and I don't grow (NYC apartment, couldn't if I tried), but I do have a love for hunting down fruits I've never had before. I travel a lot for work. Last winter I spent three months in Malaysia and was coming across so many new fruits that I decided to create a youtube series reviewing what I found. I am, I admit no expert in this field, but its a fascination of mine and I hope to learn more from this forum. The series I made is called "weird fruit explorer" if you'd like to take a look.

Jared, welcome!  You might meetup with LycheeLuva on this forum, he is also in New York City.  I think he is trying to grow some fruit trees indoors.
www.MangosByMail.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 70+ mango trees; 12 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; 2 longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Thanks Mr Clean! I'll look him up.
- Jared

Grant

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
Hello everyone,
  I have a mature charanja tree on my property that bears a wonderful crop of fruit each fall. I have been able to start some seedlings from this past years fruit and I found this site while researching the charanja.  I live in north Georgia, in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, so I was quite surprised to find such a nice citrus tree growing untended when I purchased this land.
  I look forward to learning about growing tropical fruit and sharing what I learn about my charang as they grow.

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
Hello everyone,
  I have a mature charanja tree on my property that bears a wonderful crop of fruit each fall. I have been able to start some seedlings from this past years fruit and I found this site while researching the charanja.  I live in north Georgia, in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, so I was quite surprised to find such a nice citrus tree growing untended when I purchased this land.
  I look forward to learning about growing tropical fruit and sharing what I learn about my charang as they grow.
Grant, welcome! Where in North Georgia are you? We have a cabin about 10 minutes from Helen in Clarkesville...

Grant

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Hi Mike,
   My charangas and I are in Walker County Georgia, near Villanow.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 20, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm Luis from Portugal, and just found this forum. I'm a tropical fruit lover and just start to grow some tropical fruit trees. I'm shure i will learn a lot with you all! Thank's!  ;)

nannernator

• Austin, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 20, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice Mr. Clean.  I just received my 7 gal NDM the other day and am so excited! Yes, I plan on transporting my mango plants into my garage during the winter months. My Kent has survived the past few years doing this. :) Here's a pic of the NDM:

indoorpineapplegrower

• USA, Illinois, Chicago, Zone 6
    • View Profile
    • Indoor Pineapple Culture Page
« Reply #687 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Alphonzo. I live in Chicago and grow pineapples indoors organically in containers under artificial lighting. My goal is to grow the best white-fleshed varieties in the world. If anyone is growing Pernambuco, let me know via pvt msg. I look forward to networking and sharing information with you all.
Pineapples: Cayenne, White Jade, Spanish Samoa, Queen Victoria, Kaua'i Sugarloaf, Monte Lirio, Cheese Pine, Josapine, Pernambuco, Black Antigua

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »
Welcome all new members, to many names in the last few days to list  ;D. Look forward to seeing new faces posting.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

pollo696

• Aguadilla/Mayaguez, Puerto Rico Zone 12b/13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Hello everyone! New to the forum. From Northwestern Puerto Rico, got a small amount of fruit trees going, currently passing through the gimmey-gimmey's of exotic fruit collecting. 6 things in the ground, 20 more in pots >.< I'll post some pictures later on this week. Hoping to become a regular member!

Mr. Caimito

• Player of free games!
  • [freegames-online.info will never die]
    • View Profile
    • freegames-online.info
« Reply #690 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
[freegames-online.info will never die]
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:20:48 PM by Mr. Caimito »

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #691 on: July 24, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Thanks Henry! I'm not as knowledgeable as the others on this site, but I love learning as I go.

Best!
- Jared

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
Hello my name is Joćo Sousa I'm 17 years old and I live on Madeira island, Funchal and I have been interested in rare and exotic fruits since my 15, I hope to learn more about more this kind of plants in the future. I live in an flat on the top floor where most plants can get sun but most plants that i own are on my mothers boyfriend roof, unfortunately i don't have any kind of terrain to plant more plants but i hope to get one in the future, for now I'm going to put them in a VERY large pots.
The plants that I have now are: passiflora edulis (both the yellow and purple variety), physalis, longan, grumixama, feijoa, jackfruit, black suriman cherry and dragon fruit (selenicereus megalanthus, the yellow one).
And the fruit plants that i hope to adquire in the future are berries with uncommon colors, miracle berry, rambutan both the red and yellow variety, durian, dragon fruit(selenicereus megalanthus hybrid) orange skinned with red pulp, jabuticabas, mangosteens, pommelo, normal and strawberry guavas and black and white sapotes or how i like to call them "pudding sapotes" because of what i heard they taste like pudding.
Well, that's i have to say, I hope to learn more from all of you. Good evening and thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:01:28 AM by rovha »
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Hello my name is Joćo Sousa I'm 17 years old and I live on Madeira island, Funchal and I have been interested in rare and exotic fruits since my 15, I hope to learn more about more this kind of plants in the future. I live in an flat on the top floor where most plants can get sun but most plants that i own are on my mothers boyfriend roof, unfortunately i don't have any kind of terrain to plant more plants but i hope to get one in the future, for now I'm going to put them in a VERY large pots.
The plants that I have now are: passiflora edulis (both the yellow and purple variety), longan, grumixama, feijoa, jackfruit, black suriman cherry and dragon fruit (selenicereus megalanthus, the yellow one).
And the fruit plants that i hope to adquire in the future are berries with uncommon colors, rambutan both the red and yellow variety, durian, dragon fruit(selenicereus megalanthus hybrid) orange skinned with red pulp, jabuticabas, mangosteens and black and white sapotes or how i like to call them "pudding sapotes" because of what i heard they taste like pudding.
Well, that's i have to say, I hope to learn more from all of you. Good evening and thank you for your time.
Olį Joćo! Tens umas variedades fantįsticas! You will learn here a lot! See you soon!  ;D

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 31, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
Hi, my name is Phat, AKA fruitnut, fruit junkie, fruit whatever.  I must confess, I have a black thumb.  I found this site while searching for information on how to turn my black thumb into green for tropical fruit trees.  I hope to learn from all of you guys/gals.

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
I am a musician, singer songwriter, writer and housecleaner! I am Kathy Thomas. I live in one of the last cracker strongholds in Port Salerno Florida, just north of Jupiter and Hobe Sound. I loveeeee! this forum. I am harvesting an ignored tree in my newish backyard after a few months of determining it to be a hybrid of guanabana and custard apple. It is keeping me busy! I am making soursop juice right now...off to get some organic sugar! Thankyou for making me feel so welcome

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 31, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Good gosh....so many new people.....can't begin to welcome you all.
The "old timers" are very nice and helpful here (though I'm not one of them!).
  Don't be afraid to ask
a question or two - hey - we were all beginners at one time, yes!

Oh, and please try and POST PICTURES whenver possible by clicking on "Add image to post"
and then you can locate and choose a picture from your own files to add to your post........
It makes the post more interesting and can be helpful in answering any questions you
might have.

This is truly an INTERNATIONAL forum.  World peace through Mangoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a hearty WELCOME TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU......

MangoFang of Southern California

dcusseaux

• united states, texas, spring, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
Well hello,
My name is Dietrich Cusseaux and it is always good to know one is in good company or can be someplace to find it, so far I do and I have! This forum appears to have a wealth of knowledge and experience as well as good spirited individuals. I am originally from Tampa, Florida but have relocated to Houston, Texas which is similar in climates aside from the occasional unpredictable frosts we experience here in Texas. I look forward to contributing and learning how to do better.

I am currently growing many varieties of tropical plants and trees and seem to continue to become more and more obsessed with Tropical horticulture the more success that I experience from my efforts. I look forward to hearing about other users successes and trading with some of you in the near future.

thanks.

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #698 on: August 02, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Hello my name is Tim Thompson, I am an "old guy" and this is my first effort with internet forums.  This is somewhat intimidating, and also at the same time very exciting.  I started growing things with my dad's help and guidance as a child.  Then it was just a hobby.  I have special interest in tropical fruits, mangoes in particular.  For the last 20 plus years many people have referred to me by the nickname: The Mango Man.  My father instilled in me a sense of adventure in growing new and often difficult things.  That desire to overcome obstacles is part of what made me take on the challenge of growing and fruiting mangoes in Southern California.  I started that effort almost 40 years ago and now have achieved that goal with over a dozen mango varieties that are in the patent process and which will soon be growing throughout Southern California. 

I live in Camarillo, about 15 miles inland from the ocean and grew up on a ranch between Ventura and Santa Paula after moving from frosty Nothern Illinois.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 02, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
Hello my name is Tim Thompson, I am an "old guy" and this is my first effort with internet forums.  This is somewhat intimidating, and also at the same time very exciting.  I started growing things with my dad's help and guidance as a child.  Then it was just a hobby.  I have special interest in tropical fruits, mangoes in particular.  For the last 20 plus years many people have referred to me by the nickname: The Mango Man.  My father instilled in me a sense of adventure in growing new and often difficult things.  That desire to overcome obstacles is part of what made me take on the challenge of growing and fruiting mangoes in Southern California.  I started that effort almost 40 years ago and now have achieved that goal with over a dozen mango varieties that are in the patent process and which will soon be growing throughout Southern California. 

I live in Camarillo, about 15 miles inland from the ocean and grew up on a ranch between Ventura and Santa Paula after moving from frosty Nothern Illinois.
WOW great story! Thank you so much for sharing your life story with us!  :D

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers