Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)  (Read 2221 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »
I just wanted to show you all this tree. I don't see many posts on it. I'll probably add more info on it later, but I just wanted y'all to see how big the leaflets are! The generally grow 8-12 in. I've been neglecting to repot, and it's still thriving at a little over a year, at close to 3 ft.
The largest one is over 12 inches! The supposedly can fruit in 1-3 years.

Anisha

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
Congratulations - your plant looks really healthy. I've had mine more than 5 years - has flowered multiple times but so far no fruit

:'(

sjtropical

• Bay area CA with a greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Impressive leaf size. It definitely attracts visitor attention.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you , unless you have a grated one ( I don't ) they take a minimum of 6 to start flowering and a few more to get fruit . But worth the wait , lots of seeds but extremely juice and very nice flavor ( this from a guy who lives in Annona country ) Here in Mexico they are ripening end of this month , has been a very strange year for fruiting in general .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
It's looking really good..:)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you , unless you have a grated one ( I don't ) they take a minimum of 6 to start flowering and a few more to get fruit . But worth the wait , lots of seeds but extremely juice and very nice flavor ( this from a guy who lives in Annona country ) Here in Mexico they are ripening end of this month , has been a very strange year for fruiting in general .
I definitely thought those years sounded crooked. :o I guess that's why you plant Passifloras and papayas in the waiting time. I can't wait for flowers though!
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
Congratulations - your plant looks really healthy. I've had mine more than 5 years - has flowered multiple times but so far no fruit

:'(
Aw man, do you hand pollinate? Or have multiple trees? I guess environmental factors could play in. Maybe it has specific pollinators.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
@Sam @Zambezi @Sjtropical
Sorry for triple posting. :P
Thanks for all the nice comments. ;D
Anisha

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
I have one tree and have tried hand pollination. None of my efforts ever resulted in any fruits as far as I could tell.

I'm only saying what happened to me  - I'm not sure if you'll have more luck!!   8)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Soncoya is drought hardy; high pH hardy; cold hardy, down to at least 24-degrees Fahrenheit (even the old leaves), and wind-hardy;  and it is a beautiful ornamental, except for ragged look in winter.
Har

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
I definitely thought those years sounded crooked. :o I guess that's why you plant Passifloras and papayas in the waiting time. I can't wait for flowers though!

Having send Soncoya seeds all over the world ( years and years ago ) I got quite a few feed backs from different climates , making a long story short it seems that they are happier in a colder climate . I am at 300 meter above sea level , 20 degrees North , production is poor . A few hundred meters higher up , same area , the branches are bending to breaking from the weight of the fruits .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
What kind of fertilizer, potting soil, water do you use? It's very healthy and obviously you're doing it right.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
What kind of fertilizer, potting soil, water do you use? It's very healthy and obviously you're doing it right.
Tropicaliste-I mix generic Scott's hyponex with peat, coco, and compost. I use diluted fish waste from the skimmer of a saltwater fish tank in my house. Water is filtered. We filter our water using some sort of charcoal system. Similar to the one we use for the tanks.
Anisha

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers